MaryStella's Triathlon training crossfit endurance

Awe thanks lobster. I haven't been logging in here much either because the boards seem to be less active. I've been posting my workouts etc and no one is commenting. And even other peoples logs seem to be not updated. I've been getting more commentary on my own blog for awhile now. it's kinda sad. what happened to our vbbf community?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awe thanks lobster. I haven't been logging in here much either because the boards seem to be less active. I've been posting my workouts etc and no one is commenting. And even other peoples logs seem to be not updated. I've been getting more commentary on my own blog for awhile now. it's kinda sad. what happened to our vbbf community?
http://veganfitness.net

• 5 months later...

hey guys- been super busy for awhile but just checking in with everyone. I have a little more time on my hands right now as I had an accident. Fell and broke my clavicle. it displaced when it broke so i had it get it surgically set with a plate, 6 screws and 21 staples. good news is i am still training! doing some rides on my bike on my trainer and walking outside. i go back to the surgeon tomorrow to get the staples out and then i hope to start increasing my training. I had a tough race schedule planned for this season kicking off with eagleman 70.3, philadelphia triathlon, lake placid training camp, NYC triathlon and IRONMAN US CHAMPIONSHIPS! I of course will be doing a lot of smaller races as training races but that is the main body of my schedule this year and i am not going to let this silly little broken bone and surgery get in the way of training and racing to the best of my ability. it's merely a speedbump. Hope all is well with you guys and to hear from you soon! mary

an hour on the trainer today and STAPLES ARE OUT! 3 more weeks of indoor riding. Then i go back to the doc and get another ray and it should be completely healed and ill be able to run and swim again at that time. I can go to the pool and do kicking stuff but no stroking. I also can walk but no running just yet. I don't have to wear the sling anymore until it gets sore and i need a break. overally the surgeon seemed impressed with the healing so far and i get back to a more regular life with it now.

lobster - i won't know for sure if im going to keep it for good or get it taken out. Normally they just leave them in forever however the surgeon said most females especially those of my small build normally have to get it taken out because there isn't enough room for it compared to a larger man. But that would be a seperate surgery and it wouldn't be for a year or so. i am just going to take it as it comes and see how it is as time progresses. If it is problematic for me ill get it surgically removed. if not i probably wont just to avoid another surgery and the recoop time from it.

my thoughts on recovery after surgery. anyone that follows me knows that i've had a couple of surgery and had good results recovering from them in the past. Of course I find myself in this situation once again and I want to share what I do to recover sucessfully after surgery to treat an injury.

Immediately after the surgery I being trying to hydrate as much as possible. I want to flush all of those nasty but surgically necessary drugs from my system as fast as possible. Usually it is the surgical drugs that make you feel terrible after the surgery and getting rid of those as well hydrated makes you feel so much better. I hit coconut water. VEGA of course! I am also a big believer in Tea. I mainly drink herbal teas like roobios to avoid caffine but i also drink de-caf green tea. Your adding antioidents without adding calories. Of course after major surgery most people are on narcotics. Depending on your pain tolerance it is another necessary evil. However, I believe in order to recover well you need to get off of these as fast as you can tolerate. They are not putting your body in the optimal healing state. I try to take as little as I need to of any drugs for pain from narcotics to nsaids. Sometimes you need it but if you don't get yourself back to an alkaline healing state. There are more natural ways to control pain from ice treatments to moist heat. Ask yourself are you really in pain? or are you uncomfortable? If you have to ask your probably just uncomfortable. real pain pretty much shuts down thinking (at least for me it does). When I fell and broke my collarbone, that was pain, I didn't want to move it. Even though I never broke this bone before I knew it was broken before the medics arrived. I didn't need to be told it was. Coming out of surgery that was pain. a couple of days later. not so much. I also believe that cleaning up your diet and eating to recover helps you get there faster as well. I always make it a point to make sure I get enough protein. I believe that is even more important in this state. Eat a good variety of plants so your body isnt deficient in anyway and can focus on the job of healing. I am also a strong supporter of getting back to action in some form as soon as possible. The body is designed to move. Even while working around an injury you are not only keeping up your fitness level but you are creating the very important hormone levels to aid in healing. Athletes recovery from surgery faster than sedentary people. Because they move! Their bodies are used to recovering from hard training sessions. I think it is ok to still train hard but smart. You don't want to do anything to aggravate the injury. You also do not want to train to a point where you are slowing down your injury recovery but don't be afraid to move. I think many people after sustaining an injury become overly fearful. Healing is a progression. It gets better everyday. It isn't a situation where on day 39 your broken but magically on day 40 your fully healed. I go after range of motion as soon as possible. this is simply moving your own body. your not loading up with outside weight. range of motion is lost from simply not moving. i say move, get range then its time to work for strength. sleep is important too I notice I sleep more after surgery. I go with it. It's when the biggest healing happens. Ask questions from your doctor about when you can reasonable return to activities. Doctors are conservative. They are not going to tell you any earlier than they are completely confident it is healed. this isn't a bad thing but it is why I also choose to listen to my body. I research online what is typical post op recoveries for the procedure. For this injury I had the same surgery that lance armstrong had. Lance got back on the bike within a week, so did I. After that point what you can do for the most part is based off of your pain tolerance. it is going to hurt to move it. but it will hurt less everytime. Ranges will get better. Armstrong was fully recovered in 3 - 5 weeks. I also plan to be. Why? Because I am focused on healing. I get out of the way of letting the body do what it does. Eat well, MOVE, and sleep. Yesterday I rode the trainer for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Today I rode for 1 hour and 30 minutes. It is training around my injury, but it is also training something I will need to do. I work all of the position from bars, to hoods, to drops, to aero (praying) over the bars. I tried out some standing and riding today but im not ready for that yet.

another reason why I strongly believe in crossfit is the real strength that I have gained through it has helped me in my injury recovery. It just gives you such balanced strength that I have a lot of compensation for my injury in support muscles. compensating musculature is a sweet thing. Meaning I can feel all of my supporting muscles for my clavicle taking up the slack. I don't have a lot of pain but i do get tired in my back and my chest when it is getting fatigued. For my second week of recovery. I started on the trainer and did my walks but I also started riding outside a bit too and well as adding a little bit of running back into my programming. The riding outside obviously i have to stabilie the bike and im picking up the road vibrations. but it not bad at all. The running is a little tougher so i am being cautious to not do too much too soon there. I know many people think this insane and unnecessary but we all need to decide our own risk level in life. It certainly isnt the conversative approach but I tend to be my own doctor to a degree. I listen to what my body is telling me it can or can't do and act accordingly. A doctor can give you hard numbers but he can't tell you what you feel like. Only you know that. It can be seen as pushing the envelope but i've never believed in commonly perceived boundaries. Overall I remain positive about my recovery. I have good ranges of motion in all directions and it feels better and stronger everyday. sometimes it is sore before bed but im dealing with it. overall it was a tough week. mostly due to the time change. it takes me awhile to deal with that. I know it is only an hour but it gets me so off schedule. Im waking up at 4:30 etc. It is unnatural and hard on the body but im adjusting.

• 2 months later...