Portia's training diary 2012

Today was meant to be back but switch to Shoulders and triceps because of my back.

In the end I just had to be personal trainer to Mattpb as I could not do shoulder press I tried lateral raises with a light weight but could feel my back so did some triceps exercises very light weight just did not want to cause any more harm, managed to get appointment at the chiropractors this afternoon,

Think I will just do some light cardio for the rest of the week on the bike to keep me ticking over as I find I am in routine and momentum with the gym so would still like to maintain the structure by getting up at 4.30am going gym even just to do light cardio.

I have never had an injury even years playing competitive Football (Soccer) in England, but I have definitely never ever trained as hard as I am now so will just have to be careful. I am 100% committed to the challenge and it is a marathon not a sprint so minor bump in the road is nothing it is how you overcome them that matters, plus like skip says if you train intensely take a week off after 8-10 weeks I know its unintentional but I will be itching to pump the iron after a week’s rest and it will help me in the long run.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today i did cardio 30 minutes on the bike, as i went to the chiro yesterday and he gave me a deep tissue massage on my back as he said he thinks i have strained the muscles around my ribs, it was still sore today but slightly better than yesterday.

tomorrow i will do another Cardio session nothing to intense, just to keep me going.

Missing pumping the iron though!!

I just did 30 minutes cardio today again on the bike my back is feeling a lot better still a bit sore but a vast improvement from earlier on in the week, I 'm dying to life weights tomorrow but going to do cardio again and wait until i have seen the chiroprator on Saturday i don't to make it worse and spend more time not lifting weights.

Agreed, better safe than sorry! Do you have a good stretching routine?

I try stretch for 10 mins after workout time allowing, i have tried pilates and yoga but i get bored after 20 mintutes, back is feeling loads better back to chiro tomorrow

I was tempted to lift weights today but did 30 minutes cardio on the spin bike, going back to see the chiro tomorrow hopefully i will get a better idea if i can lift weights next week, i am thinking like a mass machine so I WILL BE!!

My post will be pretty boring until i get back to pumping the iron

I rested today as usual over the weekend, i went to see the chiropractor today he said i can train with weights again. He said my back seemed loads better than tuesday when i saw him last.

Looking forward to training with Mattpb again have really missed it even though it was only a few sessions, but i will be back better than ever next week.

Today was another rest day, i did some food prep managed to get to the library and get a book out.

I have made Minor adjustments to my food for next week i did not adjust this week as i was slightly injured so i have increased my pre/post meal, bit more sweet potato for 2 meals and more tofu on my 3 meals with tofu. Just going to update my excel spreadsheet with new totals

So glad to be back training with weights tomorrow, Chest & Biceps !

Today was chest & biceps

Flat bench press 20/12 25/12 35/7+4

Incline bench press 17.5/12 32.5/7 +5

I did 4 solo, 3 were assisted

Decline flyes 12.5/12 22.5/12 +6

I have to go up on these I smashed 12 out

Concentration curls 10/12 20/9 +4

Barbell curls 60/5+3

I went up on these I did put 50lbs in my book but thought I am a mass machine and I did 10 x 50 last week so picked up the 60lbs barbell, my biceps felt huge afterwards.

20 Minute HIIT run 3.5-8.5 this was tough, overall 8/10 my back feel loads better but tomorrow I will lower some weights especially deadlift see how it holds up.

Today was back-

DB Pullover 15/12 25/12 45/6+3

This was a new weight and happy I got 6

Close grip pull downs 55/12 95/8+5

Another new weight and I got 8 so up to 100 next week

DB rows 20/12 45/8+4

Really happy I got 8 out on these 47.5 calls for me next week

Wide rows 40/12 90/7+4

I was slightly hesitant on these because of my back I got 7 and left it at that will increase next week

Barbell Deadlifts 30/12 40/13

I lowered the weight to half on my working set as I could feel my back so I may have to give these a rest for a week or so, I stopped at 13 as I could feel my back

Obliques on decline bench with 15lb DB

Me and Mattpb thought it was a great workout but we had a little longer on breaks in between sets so we have noted this and will be a bit quicker on Thursdays workout, I was a bit cautious doing my back today because of my injury but no pain apart from deadlifts, I had gone up on a few things and smashed them so happy with this today.

Tomorrow is cardio and some ab work- today was great because I listened to Skip alpha male seminar on my ipod before work, on lunch and when I got home,

Today was cardio, I went up again 3.6-8.6 it was tough the last minute at 8.6 on the treadmill was tough I kept saying out loud mass machine be strong I completed the minute and felt like a champion. I just imagined myself winning a race and crossing that finish line.

I really need to get to bed a little bit earlier I am feeling really tired today so 8.30 pm I will be in bed and ready for shoulders and triceps tomorrow.

Today I trained delts and triceps SOLO no Mattpb!

Hammer strength shoulder press 20/12 40/12 50/8+5

I seemed to struggle on 50 I got 14 2 weeks ago? But I have not done shoulders in 2 weeks

Lateral raises 7.5/12 15/11+10

I went to try 17.5 on my working set but could instantly feel some pain in my back so went for 15’s instead

Low Pulley Cable 12.5/ L 14+7 R16+10

I could not go any heavier as slight pain on my left side

Reverse Flyes 40/12 65/8+8

I got mad on the last set so managed 8 both times!

Tricep pushdowns 30/12 42.5/6+3

Lying Triceps extension 20/12 35/12+3

Will go up next week

Overhead Press 20/12 32.5/7+3

I would say 8/10 today, missed Mattpb hopefully we can do legs together tomorrow. I looked in the mirror today and though I am doing great I am a mass machine.

Today was legs trained with Mattpb today

Leg extensions 55/12 90/12 125/13+5

I will go up next week, I smashed these and it was new weight

Leg press 140/12 230/7+3

These were tough will increase by 5lbs next week

Squats (Smith Machine) 30/12 70/9+6

I did not feel confident on these I think in the back of my mind I was worried about my back

Stiff legged deadlifts 20/12 40/15+10

I use a light weight due to my back and used great form

Leg curls 135/9+5

Going up again this was a new weight and smashed it

Calf Press 55/12 95/15+12+9

Calf raises (Hammer strength) 50/12 100/9+4

My calves were throbbing after these

I would say 9/10 as I was not so confident on my squats but great intensity today short rests inbetween our sets, weekend off to rest and recover ready for Monday.

I have not updated for a few days took a week off from the gym, i have never done this but it has made me hungrier to get back on Monday.

Just been getting 8 hours sleep eating 7 meals a day and listening to skip lacour's motivational podcast, ready to hit legs on Monday

Ready to hit legs tomorrow starting a new workout Mass Machine training routine #1, glad i took the week off from the gym my back seems to have healed and i think the week really did help.

Done all my meals for tomorrow and gym bag itching to get to the gym

Today was legs start of Mass Machine Training routine #1 ( Was gauging today how much weight so some were just guessing)

Leg press

235/8 235/8 235/9

Up to 250 next week

Squats

50/8 50/8

Up to 70 next week was really happy with these form seemed great

Stiff legged deadlifts

70/8 70/8 70/8

Up to 80 next week

Leg curls

140/8 140/8

Up to 145 next week

Hammer Strength Calf raises

100/8 100/8 100/8

Up to 110 next week

Calf press

180/8 270/8 360/8

May do single leg will check with skip

20 Minute Mass machine cardio –Recumbent bike distance 6.15

http://www.skiplacour.com/mmnonbbcom.jpg

Click here to order

Skip La Cour's Mass Machine Nutrition

right here on Bodybuilding.com today.

Arms

Straight Barbell Curls 50/8 50/8 50/8--------I used a pre weighted bar but next week will have to load up bar myself

Alt Dumbbell Curls 20/8 20/8 ------Go up to 22.5 next week

Hammer curls 22.5/4+4 ---- I was thinking like a mass machine so went for the 22. 5 and got 4 out

Lying triceps 40/10----- try 50 next week

Cable pushdowns 42.5/9 42.5/8 ---- try 45 next week

Overhead Triceps extension 35/8 35/8 ----try 37.5 next week

Dumbbell Wrist Curls 25/10 27.5/8 ----try 32.5 next week

Barbell wrist curls 30/10 -----try 40 next week

It was first arms day doing Mass machine so few weights I will go up next week.

Mass machine cardio 20 minutes

Recumbent bike distance 6.30 I did 6.15 yesterday so really happy with this.

Today was shoulders

Dumbbell press 25/8 25/8 25/8

Straight bar military press 10/6 10/6 10/6

Dumbbell side laterals 15/8 15/8

Dumbbell rear laterals 7.5/10

Barbell shrugs 50/8 60/8

Upright rows 10/8 10/8

I can honestly say my shoulders are in agony, I know I can go up in weight on all exercises.

My military press I lost my confidence when I knocked the bar bringing it down on the second set it won’t happen again.

Mass Machine Cardio recumbent bike distance 6.39 beat yesterdays by .9!

I need to load the Mm power statements back on my iPod and listen to everyday to solidify the fact I am a mass machine

Back

cable pulldowns 100/7 100/7 100/7

seated rows 90/8 100/8

Bent over rows 50/6 50/6

weighted hyper ext 25/8 25/8

Good mornings 30/8 40/8

i can go up on all exercises next, my cardio was awesom just blasted rhianna out and went for it beat wednesdays time by .28 finished at 6.58

Today was chest and abs

Bench Press 30/6 30/6 30/6--- This was tough and will stick with it for next week

Incline DB Press 30/8 30/8 30/8 -- Skip gave me some tips for these will take these on board and improve

Dips-- -/6 -/6 -/6 these are meant to be weighted but i have never done these before and need to work on strength

Leg lifts10/12 10/2-- these were tougher than i thought but can go up to 12.5 next week

Weighted cable crunches 42.5/12 -- can go up next week keep stomach tight

weighted crunches 10/12 -- use 25lb plate next week

Mass machine Cardio

distance 6.61 i beat yesterday by 0.03 again rhianna was my motivation!! and then some pitbull give me everything tonight!

Skip gave me some great pointers for next week, will record legs on Monday and post vids for skip to analyze.

Tomorrow is Cheat meal been 5 weeks since we last had one its been put off due to Mattpbs work schedule , we have already planned what were eating, in the past it would be a full day eating but we eat our normal meals until we go out usually we are pretty careful and don't go over board.

Leg press 260/6 260/6 260/6

Squats 60/6 60/6

Stiff legged deadlifts 80/6 80/6 80/6

Leg Curls 145/6 145/6

Hammer strength calf raise 120/6 120/6 120/6

Leg press calf presses 110/6 110/6 110/6

Cardio – 20 minutes recumbent bike

Distance 6.68 beat Saturdays by 0.04!! Lady Gaga was my motivation today

Today’s workout was 8/10 I can go up next week on everything; I am lifting like a mass machine. I can’t believe it has been 12 weeks already feel like I have learnt so much about myself and training I just want to continue pushing myself.

I and Mattpb were doing our leg curls and we were pushing each other to do more, some man said to us damn you two are hard on each other! It made me feel good as we do push each other.

Last night was cheat meal so feeling a bit lethargic today been 5 weeks since we last had one , back to regular eating schedule and food today and I feel so much better knowing I have the one cheat meal and it does not continue past that.

Arms

Straigh bar curls 60/5 60/5 60/5

Alternating dumbbell curls 22.5/7 22.57 up to 25 next week

Hammer curls 25/6 up to 27.5 next week

Lying triceps 50/6

Cable press downs 45/7 45/7 up to 47.5 next week

O/H Tricep press 37.5 8 37.5/8 up to 40 next week

Db Wrist curls 30/8 40/5

BB wrist curls 50/5

Mass machine cardio 20 minutes recumbent bike- distance 6.72 beat yesterday by 0.07 making improvements every day

Today was a great day in the gym really high intensity and I felt strong, powerful and awesome!

Shoulders

DB Press 27.5/6 27.5/6 27.5/6 up to 30 next week

Military press 15/6 15/6 15/6

DB side laterals 17.5/6 17.5/6 17.5/6

rear laterals 12.5/6

Barbell shrugs 70/6 70/6 75 next week

Upright rows 15/5 15/5 15/5

Mass machine cardio recumbent bike

distance 6.75 beat yesterday by 0.03

my legs were shaking afterwards i seriusly went for it!! intensity 8/10

this was yesterdays workout BAck

Cable pulldowns 105/6 105/6 105/6 up next week 2.5

seated rows 105/6 105/6 105/6 up by 2.5 next week

bent over rows 50/6 50/6 up to 55 next week

weighted hyper extensions 45/6 45/6

good mornings 50/6 50/6 move up next week

Mass machine cardio 20 minutes recumbent bike distance 6.76 i beat yesterday by 0.01!

it was a great wokrout and today is chest going gym later as it opens at 7am today and mattpb starts work at 7am so going about 4pm

This was last nights workout chest & abs

Barbell bench press 30/6 30/6 30/6

I focussed on what skip said about driving the weight up felt so much better will add 5lbs next week

DB incline press 32.5/6 32.5/6 32.5/6

same again foccued drivig the weight up

dips (no weight) 4 then 5 Mattpb slightly assisted me on last set

leg lifts 12.5/12 12.5/12

Cable crunches 42.5/12

weighted crunches 25/7

mass machine cardio distance 6.88 smashed yesterdays by 0.12 i had eminem blasting to get me through!!

We usually go gym at 5.30am before work but as its easter they opened at 7am so had to go after mattpb finished work, i know why i don't go at prime time. about 5 lads stood round the bench press using the bench the rest their weights on, then one lad doing chest press with dumbells and legs in the air not sure what he was trying to acheive!!

Great workout yesterday two days rest over the weekend then back on monday first day of cutting!!