Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Eating immediately after a workout and how much protein?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:51 pm 
Manatee

Does anyone have trouble eating right after a workout? I used to be able to do this but now I find I am not ready till about 30 minutes or so, otherwise I feel like I might throw up! Today I had to wait about 30 minutes plus and then I ate about 60 grams of protein and a banana along with a granola bar and some popcorn, LOL.

Post subject: Re: Eating immediately after a workout and how much protein?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:25 pm 
Manatee

One thing I have done is given up supplements for the most part. I have never noticed a big difference with anything other than maybe creatine. I try to do everything with good food.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:31 pm 
Elephant

I take 5 glutamine chews tablets and have a protein shake just so my body can start repairing. I haven't ever had an issue eating our drinking after a workout. In fact I am usually very hungry

I don't make excuses... I make results

If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:50 pm 
Rabbit

I have trouble eating BEFORE a workout. I get heartburn or I feel like I'm gonna puke. After a workout I have trouble getting enough protein without getting too many calories.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:24 pm 
Rabbit

For years I've been hearing people talk about their "Post workout" protein needs and how incredibly important it is and for a long while I actually bought into it. But if you think about it a lot of nutrition experts recommend eating every two to three hours because that's how long it takes your body to absorb what you're shoveling down your gullet. That being said one would reason that the more important meal would be the one your eat 2-3 hours before you finish your workout. I make it a point to never train longer than an hour, so I eat about 1 1/2 to 2 hours before I workout and then yea I'll eat something afterwards, but I'm not going to rush to the locker room and go crazy trying to get some protein in my system.

In my opinion the best thing to get in your system post workout is some carbs from a nice sugary source (fruit is good), and a little protein. Carbs are incredibly important in the process of building muscle, but they often take a back seat to protein. And yea, protein is important, but I just think the emphasis that we in the Bodybuilding community makes us forget the importance of carbs. We become carbaphobes :shock: ......

http://www.youtube.com/user/RawVegaCaliBB

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:50 pm 
Elephant

Oh I train longer than an hour..... Minimum 2 hrs for me on weight training days. So if I am not getting home till after 8p I need my post workout protein shake

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:28 pm 
Rabbit

Hey Syn667, 2 hours sounds like a really long time (for me anyway). Do you do that often, and does that include some type of cardio or something?

My point wasn't that you shouldn't eat after your workout, obviously, I did mention that i usually eat afterward too. It's just that there's kind of a phobia among guys at every gym that if they don't rush out and get some protein in their system right away they are going to miss out on any and all gains, and I just don't think that's the case.

One of my old school bodybuilding hero's was Chet Yorton, and I once read that he would train for like three hours at a time, but it also said he would only lift weights once or twice a week.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RawVegaCaliBB

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:12 pm 
Manatee

I never train longer than an hour with weights, sometimes I push it to an extra 15 minutes, but at the intensity at which I train, I am spent after about 60 minutes plus it is hell, hell on the central nervous system training much longer than an hour. I have had tremendous results always training about an hour a session. Plus, as a natural athlete I found it essential to not train too long, to avoid over training. I also eat a lot of carbs! Love me some carbs!

As a natural athlete I keep training sessions to 3-4X a week and an hour to maybe an aditional 15 minutes at a shot of weights.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:09 am 
Gorilla

On off days the most important meal is breakfasts. Training days it's breakfast & your post workout meal (this can be effected by training times)

Once I'm done working out I immediately slam 50g protein, 50g maize starch (easy to digest carb), bcaa's, glutamine in a shake. Also however I have my creatine, powder goes in the shake or tabs. Again depending on workout times the post meal
Should be the biggest serving you have of carbs.

Also take a look how you train. Is it to much as over training can trigger the hormones epinephrine &  norepinephrine to be released which will destroy your appetite. Also just general over training can do this.

What is your appetite like in general? 

Meal portions/frequency is down to the person. I listen to my body when I need food, not because some article says we/I should be eating. No two persons the same. But post workout meal is important

"Don't fall for that crap that people are peddling on the message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn't matter" Jim Wendler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:29 am 
Elephant

I haven't weight trained over an hour lately but I have 1 day a weeek that includes cardio, weights and endurance/agility training. That is 3 hrs of training. I usually have a good snack before the gym a around 3:30 and am at the gym 2 hrs later going all out. But I do an hour of cardio after weights. First thing I reach for after I am done is the glutamine tablets

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:42 am 
Gorilla

quote from Charlie Francis. “A body under recovery will always seek homeostasis. So it is always better to undertrain than to overtrain. You will still supercompensate, but not to the degree. Once you overtrain, your body will plummet and fight to retain a balance. Smaller CNS demands over a longer period of time result in more acceptance and greater improvement. While the rush to get more done leads to uncertainty down the road.”

"Don't fall for that crap that people are peddling on the message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn't matter" Jim Wendler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:18 am 
Manatee

At 42 I am always on the lookout for signs of over training. 3-4 days a week seems to work well for me now.
4 days seem to perfect otherwise I have a tough time separating out shoulders and chest.

Typically my appetite is great and having trouble eating right after a workout is not that often but it happened yesterday. I ate a protein bar and banana right after my workout but I felt I should have waited. Many times I will work out at lunch and need to get back to work so I can't do a shake. In that case I will just have a couple almond butter sandwiches on whole grain bread. I also tend to eat often. I have always been a grazer.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:30 am 
Gorilla

Why can't you do a shake? When I work a 12hr day 7:00-19:00 & I train after I still manage to have a shake with me.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:31 am 
Gorilla

Also if this happens now & then I wouldn't be overly concerned. If, however it was all the time that would be something to worry over.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:14 am 
Manatee

True, it is not often, LOL. Well I guess I could throw some pro powder in a jug and take it with my, I used to do that. Right now, we are on a budget since we just bought a new car and paying for a two week vacation so I put all supplements on hold till spring or summer. Trader Joe's has cheap pro powder so I will probably go back there.