I'm Kind of Scared...

over4

I've been a vegan for over 4+ years. I did it on the spot, just had that shift. Didn't think of health, at all, just did it out of a moral obligation after I realized what was going on and never looked back since.

Over the last 4+ years I've had a very unbalanced diet. Lots of rice, sweets, junk food, and haven't been very health focused. I have had vegetables/fruits in the mix, but the balance has never been there.

I would like to get a complete check-up on everything currently going on in my body - protein, iron, calcium, vitamins, omega 3, etc - I'd like to know what I need more of, less of, where I'm lacking big time, etc

I'm kind of scared and want to get this check-up done immediately. Is there a specific type of check-up I need to do, or a certain type of medical place that does these, etc - sorry for the dumb question but I'm truly clueless on where to began??

Thanks in advance!

You can get a blood test. Are you taking Vitamin B12?

I have had vegetables/fruits in the mix, but the balance has never been there.

Here is my little story that might help you out.

When I wen't Vegan, I made a huge pot of mixed vegetables everyday for the next day, I felt very joyful for no reason even though I was loosing muscle because of the lack of carbohydrates, I didn't know much about nutrition 3 years ago but even though I was skinny, I felt like nothing mattered. Then I moved to a different country, I stopped eating so many veggies and started eating more refined pastas, less veggies and fruits. My whole life went 180 degrees and I became more irritable, had trouble getting out of bed every morning. It took me more than a year to realize how powerful vegetables are in every way, how they bring my body in equilibrium to the point where I am humming my own joyful beat for no other reason than to be at peace with myself.

When it comes to eating a Vegan diet, vegetables in abundance are a must, they are the meat replacement, High in Vitamins and Minerals. I eat a minimum of 2 kilo's(4.4lbs) per day of mixed veggies. This may seem like a lot veggies however remember that a human body weighs more than 100 pounds on average and it needs lots of Vitamins and Minerals daily.

Ripe fruit, rice, pasta are important for carbohydrates(fuel) however they are not as important as vegetables when you want to feel your energy within.

Let me know if you would like me to go into the specifics of cooking.

"Thou shouldst eat to live; not live to eat. Socrates Greek philosopher in Athens (469 BC - 399 BC)"

You can get a blood test.

Let me know if you would like me to go into the specifics of cooking.

1) Will a blood test tell me everything (all minerals, vitamins, iron, calcium, protein, etc) and is there a specific name for this type of test?

2) I live a bachelor lifestyle so when you say a big portion of veggies daily, are you going to the market, cutting them up, preparing them yourself? Or do you buy pre-packaged bag? And how do you cook them - i.e. stir fry, with pasta/rice, sauce, etc

Thanks for your help

1) Will a blood test tell me everything (all minerals, vitamins, iron, calcium, protein, etc) and is there a specific name for this type of test?

I would talk to your doctor if you want the specifics. Urine and blood test is what they use to asses the state your body is in. These tests are pricy and sometimes a waste of money unless you live somewhere with free healthcare.

uMMA(urine Methylmalonic Acid) is the most accurate for Vitamin B12.

There isn't many Vitamins and Minerals. There will be no need to worry about it as long as you have them covered daily.

2) I live a bachelor lifestyle so when you say a big portion of veggies daily, are you going to the market, cutting them up, preparing them yourself? Or do you buy pre-packaged bag? And how do you cook them - i.e. stir fry, with pasta/rice, sauce, etc

Thanks for your help

Bachelor lifestyle means single or partying type where you have no time for cooking?

Yes to your question. I don't eat anything premade. The body deserves the best.

You can either boil the vegetables or get an electric steamer, steam them, then mix them with steamed/boiled rice. Adding legumes is another great option. Sliced mushrooms, cauliflower, bell peppers, broccoli, etc.. are options for vegetables.

You can saute/stir fry the foods however I prefer eating clean foods that aren't loaded with oils.

I recommend investing in a quality potato peeler like the KitchenAid Stainless Steel Euro Peeler if you don't have one. It makes peeling carrots a breeze.

Since most of us work and if you do work, I recommend getting quality pyrex glass meal containers instead of the cheap plastic ones that need to be replaced all the time. You can make as many daily meals as you'd like. 3 big or 6 medium meals. Its up to you.

I'm just listing options. Remember that its up to you to find out what works for you. Don't be afraid to experiment and being creative with food.

• 3 weeks later...

Really enjoyed reading this.

I think it's brilliant that you want to take a blood test to see if you have any nutrient deficiencies. mineral imbalances, etc.

But I have to offer this advice; Try not to let your lifestyle get in the way of good nutrition- let good nutrition become your lifestyle.

You said in your opening post that you went vegan purely for moral reasons. Eating a highly nutritious, well balanced diet that will leave you fresh faced, full of energy and glowing will be one of the best things you could do as a vegan. You will be providing an example of the health that can be achieved through eating a plant based diet.

Maybe use your initial reasons for going vegan as a reason to pursue a nutritious diet and try not to see them as seperate reasons- showing off your good health to inspire others will save hundreds of animals in the future!

x