Paige's Training Journal for 2012 Contest Season

Paige

Had some serious energy issues lately with low blood sugar. I have decided to drop out the protein powder as I don't think it is a good energy food. Going to try adding in nuts and more lentils instead as I think they are better for energy levels and I will use that for protein sources. I think the problem is the quality of my powder. I went back to using Trueprotein.com and I think the nutrients in their product are very low. However, the hight quality stuff, I love that Warrior Food, is just so darn expensive. Been out of the gym for three days feeling lousy. Headed back to hit it hard tomorrow.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yesterday was routine training. Good training, good endurance. Trying to get that endurance level up for routine work. Moving routine up to 3x per week and 3x/wk of weight training. Cut out that protein powder the last 2 days. Feeling much better as of today. I am going to stick with only whole foods for the rest of the week and see how I feel as a result. Yesterday food was:

1c oatmeal/banana

salad of romaine/broccoli/flax/balsamic

mid morn apple 1oz almonds

lunch green beans, lentils, sweet potato

mid aft apple 1 oz almonds

dinner romaine/broccoli/avocado/flax oil/balsamic

Decided to focus on cardio and routine training for a while to get back into show shape. Hitting up some hard core spin classes 75-90 min spin. Routine Mon, Wed, Fri, Spin Tues/Sun. Run on Thursday.

Food today was: pre-workout oatmeal

post-workout lettuce/brocc/spinach/flax oil/balsamic vin

mid morn apple/almonds

lunch sweet potato/gr beans

mid aft apple/almonds

dinner sw pot, salad w/brocc/lettuce/spinach/flax oil/balsamic vinegar

I quit protein powder entirely and I feel so much better. Huge difference in how I feel, energy levels and training ability. Whole foods only.

Hi Paige, I just found your training journal here. I've been doing the protein powder too. Way too much and after this week I'm going for more whole foods as well. Thanks for posting your food and workouts here. It'll be great to follow your progress.

I'm going for my sixpack abs! Funny, at age 52, but what's age got to do with it? LOL!

Karen

At 44 I am in better conditioning then ever. My dad competes with me in pairs bodybuilding and he is 70. Rest day today and tomorrow on to routine training work. Today food was:

1c oatmeal

3 apples

sweet potato and green beans for lunch

dinner was large salad of lettuce broccoli/spinach with flax oil and balsamic and sweet potato

also had 6 scoops or prot powder which I will pay for tomorrow. Gotta stay away from that stuff.

Yesterday was some hard core training. Legs/abs/shoulders/back. No more than 20sec between sets. Went about about 80mins.

3x15 of pull ups, reverse flys, straight bar rows, overhead press, lateral raise, one arm rows, lat pulldown, snow angels, supermans,

legs: 3x20 lunges, leg curl, decline sit ups with plate, lateral tube walk, 3x15 step ups, hanging leg raises, standing cable hip extensions, squat jumps, SB exchange.

food yesterday was:

oatmeal, apples, bananas, sweet potato, lettuce/broccoli/flax seed oil salad, protein powder, tofu

Really paying for eating protein powder and tofu today. Still am working on getting off of any "fake foods". Feel alot better with that.

Today will be a 30 min run and tris/bis.

Hit up some hard routine practice today. Not so great on the endurance though. tomorrow is time for a rest day, as this body is really sore today. Went back to some "fake foods". Really feel like I need the protein. Looking to put on some more good muscle so gave in. Food today was:

pre-workout 2sc powder banana/BCAA

post workout broccoli sw potato

mid morn: sw pot/lentils/brocc/flax oil

lunch 2 rice cakes, apple, tofu, green beans, 1 oz. raw almonds

mid-aft 2 rice cakes 2 sc powder, green beans, raisins

dinner 1 block tofu, broccoli, 3 oz sw potato

Really trying to stay focused and on track to make that May show. Rest day tonight for this tired body:

Food today:

banana, sw potato, powder, tofu, lentils, gr beans, broccoli, apple, raisins, almonds, plain rice cakes, flax oil.

leg and core day:

3x15 hop squats, squats on smith machine, lateral lunges, SB ham curls, reverse crunches, straddle press off of bench, rockers, hip adduction machine

food today was:

pre-workout 2 sc pp w/ banana

post workout broccoli and sw potato

mid morn lentils, sw pot, broccoli, flax oil

lunch 2 rice cakes, 1oz almonds, tofu, gr. beans, apple

mid afternoon 2 sc pp, raisins, gr. beans, 2 r. cakes

dinner tofu, broccoli, mushrooms, flax oil

Routine training today. Really solid although I need alot of ice today.

Food yesterday was:

2sc powder w/ banana

sw potato and broccoli

2 r cakes, apple, tofu/gr. beans, almonds

lentils, broccoli flax oil, blueberries, sw potato

2sc powder, 2 rice cakes, gr. beans

1 block tofu, broccoli, mushrooms, flax oil

yesterday was shoulders and arms

3x15 shoulder press, front raises, tri pushups (3x10) tri press overhead, hammer curls, bar curls, v pushups, bentover reverse flys. Serious ham pain yesterday so no cardio.

Here is the challenge I am giving myself: Exactly 6 weeks until my fitness contest. I have been trying to turn entirely to whole foods for a while now. I find that when I cut out my powders and my tofu I feel better and train better. However, I have not been able to stick to it. So here it is: 6 weeks, whole foods only. No powders, no tofus, no fake foods. Only whole foods, lentils, nuts, fruits, veggies, grains. I want to see what happens when I actually stick to it for a period of time. I also want to see if I can compete on that food plan. Today is day one, so far: bananas, apple, lentils, pumpkin, broccoli. Wish me luck!

• 4 weeks later...
Here is the challenge I am giving myself: Exactly 6 weeks until my fitness contest. I have been trying to turn entirely to whole foods for a while now. I find that when I cut out my powders and my tofu I feel better and train better. However, I have not been able to stick to it. So here it is: 6 weeks, whole foods only. No powders, no tofus, no fake foods. Only whole foods, lentils, nuts, fruits, veggies, grains. I want to see what happens when I actually stick to it for a period of time. I also want to see if I can compete on that food plan. Today is day one, so far: bananas, apple, lentils, pumpkin, broccoli. Wish me luck!

How did it go with the whole-food-challenge? Did you find it hard to stick to it? I'm really curious to hear what your experiences where, expecially during contest prep. I don't think I could ever go without my protein powders or a little tofu/tempeh

Good luck with the last stretch before your competition!

Here is what happened, I went about 2 weeks on whole foods only. I really liked it but I put on weight and I could not afford to do that during contest prep. I found it weird because my cals were low. I wish it worked but I need to be lean and the whole foods don't work at all for that. In fact, right now I live on protein powder and veggies. It is not my first choice but the other way just did not work for me. Right now I am only 2 lbs out from my goal so I will probably put some more whole foods in soon but I have to be careful.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Getting ready for figure comp either 10/20 or 11/3. Still deciding. About a month ago really cut back on my protein powder intake. Really leaned out as a result. Down about 10 lbs. However, I am weaker and having more muscle pain with slower recovery. Tough balance and trying to decide how much of the stuff I really need. Right now doing 2 scoops pre-workout with 1 scoop BCAA. It gets me through my workout but that is all for the day except 1/2 c of lentils. Then fruit/veggies and one cup of oatmeal. One Tbl of olive oil at dinner. Going to experiment and see what works.

Oh, sure. Pre workout 2 scoops powder w/1 scoop 1BCAA, banana. Post-workout 1 C oatmeal. lunch: pumpkin, lentils, broccoli, dinner: 2 large plates of various veggies-mushrooms, peppers, lettuce, tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots w/ 1T olive oil. Mid-morn and afternoon snacks: usually an apple and/or banana.