Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Karen's...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:33 am 
Rabbit

Karen you are awesome! Just got the package last night after getting home from work and it such a wonderful surprise :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:10 am 
Rabbit

I just received my package and love the surprise! Thank you so much! You rock!

Getting healthier one day at a time
http://www.sherriet.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:04 pm 
Rabbit

Karen!! Thank you so much for the special note in my package, really made my day. :-) You guys worked so hard on the challenge and I really appreciate it.

Hope your C25K training is going well and that your mom is making good progress.

Don't forget to be awesome.

Last edited by iris777888 on Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:50 am 
Gorilla

Wow, so it's been so long since I've posted here that I have now successfully overwhelmed myself by having so much to catch up on! The longer I've put off catching up on my journal because there was too much to say, the more and more and more and more behind I've gotten! :) I wanted to go back and fill in each workout, but I think I'll never get caught up if I wait to do it that way. So, how about if I just suffice it to say that the two weeks I spent traveling and working with Robert were some of the best workouts of my life! I learned lots of new things with weights, and my Couch-to-5K training was awesome as well! I worked up to my first 20-minute run last week, which gave me a real high. I'm now on 25-minute runs, but being back at high altitude has made it considerably harder. In fact, of all days to recommit myself to posting in my journal, today is the most disappointing day of fitness to report about. Although I was able to do a 26 minute run two days ago (albeit with a 30-second break midway), today I couldn't make it past 5 minutes. It's like my body just gave out on me and seemed incapable of it today. I was so disappointed. But, the good news is that the runs don't really increase much with each session anymore, so I won't really be off track with my training schedule. But, damn, that was disappointing today. I don't know what the problem was, but there just seemed to be a lot of things that were "off" for me today. My mind, my body, even the treadmill itself didn't work properly, so that I kept having to stop and restart, and finally had to switch machines. Ugh, what a disappointment. Especially since, like I said, I've been feeling pretty good and proud about my workouts recently. Oh well.

I am SOOOOOOO filled with gratitude and humility by all of you who have commented here and elsewhere that I have inspired you in some small way. What a turn of events that is! I've never inspired anyone in fitness before. :) Truly, it's everyone here on this forum that inspires and motivates me to be making fitness a priority in my life. It's still tough some days, but I'm a work in progress, and I'm getting there. So, thank you to all of you, and of course, especially to Robert.

So, I'll be posting here for a couple more days, and then it's CRUISE TIME! Weeeeeeeee!!!!! Holistic Holiday at Sea, here I come! Can't wait. No internet, no phones, no having to overhear other people talking on phones, warm ocean air, and back to training at sea level! (Of course, I'll have to return to high elevation to actually complete the 5K a week later, but oh well.) Anyway, I'M SO EXCITED!!

Last thing for tonight... It was so much fun assembling all the prize packages for the NYNY Challenge, and congratulations to all of you who completed it! I hope you enjoy all the goodies in your package, and many thanks to all of our sponsors who were oh-so-generous, particularly HealthForce Nutritionals!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:20 am 
Rabbit

Have a great cruise, Karen!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:26 am 
Manatee

sounds like your training is going good!! dont worry about how you did on tues too much, I am sure your next workout you will bounce back! Sometimes our bodies just get in a weird funk. I think a lot of times its something thats mentally overwhelming us and boggs your body down. where is the 5k you will be doing? Those are a great time and always such a mixed bag of people, you will have fun. have a blast on your holiday at sea. my sister just returned from a cruise last week, sooo much fun.
I'm really enjoying all the goodies in the prize package. the healthforce products are one of a kind for sure. I am addicted to the "earth" product. I have been doing all sorts of things with it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:25 pm 
Rabbit

Hey Diamond lady - Welcome back. Don't worry about the training - once you get back into it in your home environment and altitude i am sure you will find your previous form. Also enjoy your cruise, sounds like fun and you deserve the break with all the work you have been doing the past couple of weeks.

Anyway - Hwyl fawr am nawr! (i'll keep you guessing but i can tell you it is welsh)

http://www.my-healthy-lifestyle-choices.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:14 pm 
Site Admin

Congratulations Karen!

You did it! You ran your first 5K! I'm very proud of you!

Hugs.

-RC

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:23 am 
Rabbit

Hooray, Karen!! Well done! You'll have to tell us all about how it went. :-)

Don't forget to be awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:05 am 
Gorilla

Hi everyone!

So, my recommitment to journaling didn't go very far, did it? Haha! :D

The cruise was fantastic, of course! I highly recommend it to any and all of you! http://www.atasteofhealth.org. They're thinking of possibly having a Mediteranean cruise next year, so that might appeal to a few more of you.

I RAN MY 5K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even though my training was pretty sporadic the last couple weeks of the Couch-to-5K program, I pulled out all the stops on race day and did it! Although my goal was to do it in 40 minutes (the last week of training consisted of 3.1 miles in 5 min. walking, 30 min. running, 5 min. walking), I ran the entire race, only stopping once to tie my shoe. It was crowded, of course, as there were 3000 runners, including lots of dogs and children. Lots of people (and dogs!) were dressed up for St. Patrick's Day, including green wigs and tutus! It was a lot of fun. I was very excited to find out my official time was 36:34! And my best gal pal ran the entire race with me, holding hands as we crossed the finish line, as an act of solidarity. :) Awwww, sweet, hey? :)

I'm feeling so inspired and encouraged to keep up with the running training. There is a Cinco de Mayo 5K coming up, so I'm hoping to do that one or another one soon! My goal is to shave off a few minutes on the next one. Excited!

Today I went to the gym and did the following, based on a workout I did with Robert last month:

Stairclimber: 20 minutes (pushed myself harder than usual)

Bodyweight squats:

Kettleball swings, 2 arms:
10x20
10x20
Kettleball swings, 1 arm:
10x20 each arm
10x20 each arm

Standing straightbar overhead press:
30x10
30x12
30x12
30x10

One-arm bentover dumbbell rows:
20x10 each arm
20x10 each arm
20x10 each arm
20x10 each arm

Stationary bike: 25 minutes, easy pace at level 7/8 (of 20)

Phew, I was exhausted! And I'm pretty sure I'm going to be sore tomorrow. :)

Here's a picture from yesterday's race, post-run:

Attachments:
Karen5K.jpg
Karen5K.jpg [ 28.39 KiB | Viewed 1346 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:56 am 
Site Admin

Awesome recap, Karen!

Great work!

I'm so proud of you!

That looks like an outstanding workout in the gym today too. Good for you for getting right back in there after race day to hammer out a weight training workout. Looks like you're taking to Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness quite well.

Excellent thumbs up pic too. Love the braids!

-RC

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:39 pm 
Rabbit

Really impressive returning journal entry Karen. I am really pleased for you on the run and 36:34 is a brilliant time. Glad to see you back. And yes i did get back to it today - sheeze ;)

Tara for now.

http://www.my-healthy-lifestyle-choices.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:35 pm 
Rabbit

wahoo Karen-WAY TO GO ON YOUR 5K JOURNEY!! I'm so proud of you girl-what an accomplishment and your time is excellent.....LOVE the pic too-all decked out in green and great t-shirt display of veganism and fitness! :)

I'm happy to hear that you've set your sight on yet another 5K......it's great to have a goal! (I too work best with goals in mind!) Cinco de Mayo run would be fun.....maybe Mexican food and margaritas to complete the festivities that day?!?! haha!

Take care and keep up the awesome work!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:43 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, Karen rocks!

I'm so proud of her. She did this training while running and facilitating the New You for the New Year Challenge too, which was a huge project!

Team High Five!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:07 am 
Gorilla

Thanks so very much, you guys! Your encouragement and praise means so, so much and helps motivate me to keep pushing. So, thank you. I feel very lucky to be part of this community.

Today I ran another 5K!!! Well, it was on the treadmill at the gym, but still! I should've pinned my race bib on my shirt to inspire me! Hahaha, can you imagine seeing that at the gym?!?! :D Anyway, my goal now is to improve my 5K speed, so what I'm thinking is to run 3.1 miles 2-3 times per week, increasing the speed by 0.1-0.2 mph each week. I'd love to be able to run my next race (May 5?) at a 10:00 mile (6 mph). My average pace on Saturday's race was 11:45 (5.1 mph), so that's what I did today on the treadmill. Then next week I'll bump it up to 5.2/5.3, and so on and so forth each week.

What do y'all think of that plan? Does that make sense? Or would something else be more effective? How many times a week should I plan to run?

I'm so excited! (And I just can't hide it! I'm about to lose control, and I think I like it!) :D But seriously, I feel like maybe my life has changed this week.... And if so, it all happened on my Gramma's 100th birthday...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next