Am I eating too much/not enough?

S-Ray

I'd really appreciate some input. I'm not sure if I'm eating too little or too much. I know that might sound ridiculous, but I really don't know.

Here is what I ate today so far (I've been on a hot cocoa kick ever since I kicked the coffee habit haha). I've eaten a little less today than I have been eating:

Breakfast:

1.) smoothie: 1 cup almond milk, 1 banana, strawberries, spinach, 1 scoop Plant Fusion protein powder

2.) cup of hot cocoa: 1 cup almond milk, 1 heaping tablespoon organic cocoa powder, stevia to sweeten

Lunch:

1.) big bowl of lentil soup

Snack:

1.) cup of hot cocoa: 1 cup almond milk, 1 heaping tablespoon organic cocoa powder, stevia to sweeten

Dinner

1.) bowl of steamed veggies (broccoli, cauliflower and carrots) with tomato basil sauce and nutritional yeast

I'm planning on going to the gym in a little while. After the gym, I'll probably have another smoothie like the one I had for breakfast. I may also make myself a fresh juice with kale, apple, lemon and/or have a big salad with mixed greens and bean sprouts, or I'll have a brown rice wrap with mixed greens and some miso dressing.

I'll probably want one more hot cocoa (I'm a little addicted right now haha) or chamomile tea before bed. Or maybe that solitary lonely beer in my fridge. Gonna try to avoid that one but ya never know!

Now that I see this all written out, I feel like it's not too much food. Typically I'd have some popcorn thrown in there as a snack, or maybe some carrots and hummus. But this is a pretty good idea of how I usually eat.

I'm not overweight at all. I'm female, weigh about 130 and I'm 5'6". I'm looking to improve muscle tone overall. I carry the most weight in my legs and really want to trim them down, which is why I'm hesitant to eat too much. I'm a really strong person (much stronger than I look) and I guess my goal is to LOOK stronger, to look more toned - I want to SEE my muscles more.

Any suggestions/feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Your diet looks solid. It is going to be how you work out at the gym whether you see the results that you want. And whether or not this amount of food can sustain your workout (like will you be able to eat just this, or will you be wanting more food to support your increased muscle mass).

• 4 weeks later...

How has this been going for you, is this been enough calories for your workout load?

If not, I would suggest adding some cruciferous vegetables in the afternoon snack. If so, I would eliminate the hot cocoa afternoon snack and just eat the cruciferous vegetables instead.

Basically, either way I am suggesting more cruciferous vegetables. This would add more phytonutrients and antioxidants to your diet. Although, cocoa does contain some antioxidants as well you are already having it for breakfast so the vegetables would give you a greater variety of different types of phytonutrients/antioxidants.