Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Karen's...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:44 am 
Site Admin

Awww, you're so excited!

I love it!

Keep after it. I think your goal and your approach to attain your goal is well thought out and awesome!

All the best with your training.

Keep on smiling. You're looking fantastic! Seriously. I've heard that from a bunch of people recently, and you're hearing it from me too!

:)

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:34 am 
Rabbit

Karen- great idea to have a goal- go girl!
I think you have an effective plan in mind to increase your speed. Just a few thoughts/questions....
Do you plan to crosstrain? How about body weight/weight training 1-2 days pet week? From what I've read borh can help with speed and prevent injury. Do you stretch before and after?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:45 pm 
Gorilla

I didn't exercise yesterday, and so even though I'm getting ready for a long trip and leaving very early tomorrow morning, I was determined to fit some exercise in today. So, I went to the gym this evening, thinking I would get a run in. I figured that since I was kinda short on time, and I also thought this would be a good thing to do anyway, I figured I'd run a shorter duration -- 20-25 minutes -- but at a faster speed. So, I set the treadmill to 6.0 mph. That's the speed I was able to run at several weeks ago when 20 minutes was part of my Couch-to-5K training. But, damn, I just couldn't keep at it tonight. I had to stop every several minutes for a 20-30 second break. And even at that, I backed the speed down to 5.5 mph. I SUCKED! I'm not sure which would have felt worse/better: A) skipping the gym today (which would probably make it 3 days in a row, since I'll be traveling all day tomorrow), but believing I could easily run a shorter duration at a faster speed, or B) going and sucking so badly. Oh well. My legs are aching and I'm just so very tired. I'm sure it was just a bad day. I'll be back at it soon.

To be honest (and to answer your question, Lisa), I'm looking forward to getting back in the gym and doing some weights. It felt really good the other day. I would like to make it part of my routine, 2-3 times/week. We'll see how things go.

So tired.... And still have packing to do.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:50 am 
Site Admin

You'll bounce right back!

Looking forward to seeing you again soon. We'll get some weight training workouts in and it will be awesome!

You can also enjoy running at sea level for a bit this week too :)

Keep after it! You've made such great progress, so quickly! And you're having a lot of fun too, which is great.

RC

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:03 pm 
Manatee

hang in there Karen! Some days are just like that, I bet there were still people in the gym that saw you running and thought to themselves "I wish I could run like her" even if you were not happy with the total workout overall as long as you gave it ALL you have on that particular day thats all that really matters, and you got there and did it which is sometimes the hardest part. yeah definitely get some lifting sessions worked into your routine, so much fun! :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:55 pm 
Rabbit

Yeah for you Karen for making it to the gym! That itself is awesome-don't beat yourself up too much over a workout and feelings that you/it "sucked"..... My motto is "some is better than none!"
Feel free to adopt my motto!!! :)))

When I have a workout that I feel is sub-optimal, I determine the possible reasons as to why I performed and felt the way I did...... Was it physical factors such as sleep deprivation, hydration status, adequate nutrition, hormones, etc..... Are environmental factors involved? Emotional factors ie STRESS, neg feelings, fear.....After coming up with answers ( NO they are not excuses!), I look at what I can improve upon next time I step up for a workout!

Good for you on wanting to incorporate strength training into your plan!
Hope you enjoy your travel time..... Going for business or pleasure or BOTH?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:47 pm 
Rabbit

Great time on your 5k! Well done! :)

And I hear you that it's frustrating the days when you put in the effort to go and then it feels like it's all wrong. I wholeheartedly agree with poster above that something is better than nothing. I sometimes go out and run just a mile, or lift for 10 minutes, and feel like people at the gym probably think I'm crazy, but to me it's important to just try and keep up the habit.

Don't forget to be awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:57 pm 
Rabbit

Karen, that time was awesome! Congrats!

Getting healthier one day at a time
http://www.sherriet.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:45 am 
Gorilla

Heading back home tomorrow, but finally got in some decent exercise today. There's been a little here and there over the past couple weeks of traveling, but not nearly enough. Anyway, here was today's workout:

~5 minute jog to gym
Mountain climbers: 4 sets x 25
Arm Circles: 2 sets x 10 of 4 sizes, both arms

DB hammer curls:
12.5 lbs x 10 each arm
15 lbs x 12 each arm
20 lbs x 8 each arm
15 lbs x 12 each arm

DB concentration curls:
12.5 lbs x 10 each arm
15 lbs x 10 each arm
15 lbs x 10 each arm
15 lbs x 9 each arm

Standing 2-arm straightbar bicep curls:
30 lbs x 10
30 lbs x 10
30 lbs x 8
30 lbs x 10

Reverse grip straightbar bicep curls:
25 lbs x 8 (or 10, couldn't remember)
25 lbs x 10
25 lbs x 10
25 lbs x 10

~5 minute jog home

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:15 am 
Manatee

nice bicep workout!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:52 pm 
Site Admin

Great workout! Way to go!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:26 pm 
Gorilla

Yesterday I did 5K on the treadmill, followed by 20 minutes on the stationary bike. My run wasn't awesome, but considering that I hadn't really run much the past couple weeks, I felt pretty good about it. I ran most of it, with a couple short breaks (I stopped the clock for those) and several minutes of walking. Overall, it was 38:27. Again, not amazing, but I felt good about it nonetheless. :) I'm also learning that I like running outside more than I thought. Running on the treadmill is starting to bore me, but the main thing is that I overheat. Running outside helps keep me cooler and able to sustain longer, I think. A couple of times I've ran on treadmills that had a built-in fan or had a fan closeby, and that helped a lot. But at my gym, there are no fans.

Yesterday's food was oatmeal with chia and blueberries, a couple of Odwalla bars, bean and spinach burritos, and popcorn with peach habanero hot sauce. (Mmmmm!) Should've had more fruits/veggies. Was dealing with a headache the past couple of days, though, so I was probably choosing more comfort foods.

Back at it today!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:55 pm 
Site Admin

High Fives, KO!

Have an awesome day today!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:48 am 
Gorilla

My internet was down yesterday, so I didn't get to post. But, anyhow, yesterday I ran 5K outside from home and back. It's all dirt road with some long stretches of incline (and decline, too, of course!). My time was a shade under 39:00, which seems depressingly slow. Especially since I never stopped running at all and felt like I was consistently going faster than when I did this same run once before (just before the St. Patty's Day race). Oh well, it still felt great to complete, and I was happy to do it. I'll keep working to improve. :)

Yesterday was the first time I listened only to relaxing, soft music during the entire run. Usually, I listen to "harder" music to keep me energized. But, yesterday I found the music helped keep me relaxed, and I could hear my breathing and footsteps on the ground. Interesting difference.

Breakfast: Vega WFHO shake
Lunch: Tofu scramble with potatoes and tempeh at my favorite veg-friendly restaurant in town
Post-run: Orange and Banana
Dinner: Field Roast Italian sausage wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla, and side salad
Snack: Vega Shake & Go Smoothie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:01 pm 
Manatee

awesome job on the 5k run. dont worry about the time at all, its awesome that you felt good and relaxed. I have had many runs where I thought I was really flying and then my time was slower but I felt great. I choose to remember the "felt great" part....plus if you felt good then there is more of a chance you will do it again. and more than likely improve.
the tofu scramble with tempeh sounds sooo good. I wish we had more veg friendly restaurants in our area but everything i consider good is at least 30 min away.
have a good week!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next