Pea Protein recovery drink recipes?

IRVofNorth

I've had problems with pea protein for a long time. The taste is unpleasant and it's hard to mask it with anything. Thus far only decent shake i've made was to blend lot of berries along the protein, which mask the taste to some degree. Worst thing I tried was adding cocoa powder. It tasted absolutely foul and I had to spit it out, and pour the rest away

I use about 1 dl of the stuff at once to get good amount of protein. On the other hand the more it is used, stronger the taste will be.. What recipes have you invented to make this stuff drinkable?

Could it be the brand? I use Gemma pea and it isn't a bad taste. My normal shake is a cup of frozen pineapple or a cup of frozen grapes with 2 scoops (40g protein) of Gemma. Sometimes cocoa can help with the taste, but the bitterness of the cocoa doesn't always go well with the protein.

Also I don't know how much 1 dL is when compared to grams, but your body does have a certain limit to how much protein it can digest at once. I try to stick to < 40g per meal, but some people go as high as 50g. Personally I think any more than that is just throwing your protein away...

I use MyProtein brand. Unfortunately the taste is a bit strong and salty. 1 dl is about 30 grams of pea protein powder, containing about 24,6 grams of protein. I ordered it from their website couple of months back. There's now a new shop in finland that sells pea protein. I don't know the brand, but might try it out someday.

I ordered some unflavored rice protein and it should be arriving tomorrow. I'll have to see what that tastes like

• 2 weeks later...

Check out this page, its got lots of recipes:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/25837-some-quick-easy-pea-protein-recipes.html

I live in Spain and as I can't get vegan protein out here, I've ordered 15kg of the stuff from the UK..so I really hope it isn't as foul as you all say!! I'll have to drink it anyway as I've no choice!

I'm gonna try it with orange and kiwi juice as I've found that this combination usually disguises just about anything. I aslo eat quite a lot of pea soup..really easy, blend baby peas with onion, garlic and quite a bit op mint, heat until done and add soy cream. Sometimes I add a mug or two of soy milk and eat it as a soup, and other times i leave it as thick cream and serve it over a plate a small, crispy roast potatoes..its my daughter's favorite recipe!! Well, obviously it's also one to try with a few scoops of pea protein. I'm also gonna try out making a type of falafel with it as I eat shit loads of falafel wraps with houmous and rocket..mmmm! A year ago, due to my friends requests, I made a video of how to make falafel in the traditional way and uploaded it to youtube..but despite the fact that my friends had begged me for my recipe, they STILL didn't make any falafel..so I devised a really lazy version made by blending 1/2 red pepper and garlic with all the traditional falafel spices, then I just added chickpea four until I could form it into ball shapes. Well the whole thing takes about 5 minutes (if you have a machine to cut up the veggies finely), and although I prefer the traditional falafel, this has been a real hit with my friends and I often make them when I'm in a rush..another OBVIOUS contender for trying with pea protein..you could just replace all or some of the chickpea flour with the protein powder. Falafel are after all, made with different types of things depending on the area..flava beans, lentils etc.

Then there's another Asian recipe I love, for these little spicy balls of peas, onions and semolina which you steam for a few minutes and serve with a cumin flavoured tomato sauce..I'm gonna have to dig that one out, it was really tasty, really quick and I'm sure it would work!

Anyway, I'll let you know how I get on! In the meantime be creative!! I like to smoke a fair bit or organic marijuana and put on some good tunes before I go in the kitchen..it makes me really creative and I start mixing things I'd never normally try! Its good to fun to get creative in the kitchen with a friend..start with a base ingredient, like pea protein for example, open the cupboards, get out anything which inspires you and start mixing. The trick is to make really small quantities of each thing. If I'm inventing a biscuit recipe, I start off with my dough and then divide it into two portions. To one portion I may add something like coconut, and to the other almonds. I then subdivide these and start adding different ingredients and flavourings. I normally end up with about 12 biscuits all slightly different. Its really important to write down what you do!! Then you cook em and taste them and decide which are keepers and which go in the dogs bowl I have had the occasional disaster but generally however, surprisingly good results.. and it IS so much fun! The onjly downside is the mess you leave in the kitchen

Anyway, I'll let you know how I get on

If your not opposed to adding some calories. I like to mix with a blend of Hemp Milk and Rice Milk instead of just water. Also I add in a tiny bit of Agave nectar to take away the bitterness if I am not adding fruit, or even sometimes if I added fruit and it just doesn't taste good. Another thing that I rarely do but def. takes away the bitterness is using pure apple juice ( i have a juicer) which is very sweet. Good luck!

• 2 months later...

Give this a go...hemp and pea protein crackers!

I normally mix a scoop of pea protein with fresh pineapple juice and it tastes ok, but I devised this recipe for low carb days

hemp oil *or any other oil you have

10g

hemp seeds finely ground *you could use protein powder just I don-t have any

50g

Baking powder

1 tsp (5g)

Nuts, almonds, blanched, ground

33g

Pea protein

200g

Vegetable oil, coconut *or any other oil you want

1 tsp (5g)

I-ve also added ground flax seeds although these aren-t counted in the nutritional analysis. Basically mix the dry ingredients with sufficient water to make a dough, devide into 16 balls and flatten out as thinly as possible with the palm of your hand on an oiled surface..they get to be about 5 inches wide, any thicker and they wont crisp up. Bake in a moderate oven until starting to brown.

Each cracker provides 95kcal, 1.5g carb, 4.7g fat and 11.6g protein.

• 4 weeks later...

Depends what you're willing to add to it.

I ordered a bunch of different flavours of pea protein/rice protein off of trueprotein.com

I use orange in my post workout shake, along with orange glycocarb.

I like the premium wildberry mixed with a banana for normal shakes, and its decent.

We mine tastes like ass...but recently I've found a way to disguise the taste completely..passion fruit juice!

I managed to find one NOT made from concentrate so that's cool

By the way...I've been experimenting with the pea protein crackers and now I add more hemp, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, linseeds and sunflower seeds. I've made them with garlic, parsely and other herbs. With so many seeds they really do give you a good dose of aminos at the same time as your protein..and they have a cheesy like aftertaste.

They stay crisp for about 2 weeks and if you have machine to grind your nuts and seeds they are really quick to make.

If you fancy experimenting one day I'll send you the recpe. There's something wrong with the configuration of my PC at the moment and I can't use the Nutritional Data website to analyze the recipe..but I'm figuring that the crackers have an almost perfect carb to protein ratio for after workout purposes and a really impressive amino profile:wink:

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks so much for this link. It's definitely inspired me to experiment.

I once tried making a veggie dip out of Gemma and it was so ing I wanted to puke.

I'm not a fan of the taste of Pea Protein either, but I drink it. Brown Rice is my current fave though

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I figured out a lower carb recipe for a pea protein "pudding" that is pretty tolerable.

1 Cup Pea Protein

1 Cup Almond Milk (soy, whatever you wanna use)

1 Cup Light Coconut milk (go full-fat if you wanna, Tr*der Joe's sells a light version that's good)

** MIX THESE TOGETHER, will be thick and you may need to adjust liquid or powder per your preference **

Flavored or Unflavored Stevia to taste (I use NOW's Vanilla Stevia liquid)

I also toss in some frozen blueberries, or a few TBSP of Peanut or Almond Butter.

The base is pretty thick and a quick nosh but needs a little love.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Adding any kind of "food" to mine only made it worse. I finally just added a scoop (I do 2 now) and 2 tsp of Splenda. Not unpleasant and I do it 2-3 times per day.

To supplement the pea proteins I eat pasta and rice dishes and on treat days, some kind of vegan bread, usually unleavened.

• 1 month later...

Anyway, here’s my ‘protein shake’ recipe, ingredients placed in this order for best blending:

• Add a handful of ORGANIC spinach leaves to blender (available at Costco for ~$3.99/lb) You can’t taste the spinach--or at least it gives a clean taste to the shake--plus you’re getting vegetables!

• Add some walnuts (not too many, they’re packed in calories, but it’s good to eat seeds and nuts with other foods as the fats can increase absorption of good things in the other foods by up to 10x, per a PBS broadcast I just saw with Dr. Fuhrman. “The healthy fats in seeds and nuts also aid in the absorption of nutrients when eaten with vegetables.” http://www.drfuhrman.com/library/gombbs.aspx

• Add some ORGANIC pumpkin seeds (I’m presently out. I get them at Ballard Market or PCC.)

• Add one ORGANIC Brazil nut (Brazil nuts are a great source of selenium, something depleted in much of the soil growing our food, hence people don’t get enough. For men, one Brazil nut a day is a healthful, harmless preventative against prostate issues. http://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthis/10-foods-that-fight-prostate-cancer.html, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazil_nut#Nutrition)

• Add a cup of Costco’s frozen anti-oxidant ORGANIC fruit mix. It’s a new product selling at 3lbs for $10. That’s about the best price available for frozen (always the most nutritious way to get fruit and vegetables) strawberries, blueberries, pomegranate seeds, cherries.

• Add two teaspoons Trader Joe’s cocoa. Just discovered it. It sells for $2.49 or 2.99. Keep it in the fridge. It’s American Process, meaning they don’t add alkali. (It’s light colored, which is good.) This has great anti-oxidant, heart-healthy properties. (It’s the ‘good stuff’ in dark chocolate, without all the sugar.) See, e.g, http://www.naturalnews.com/033515_chocolate_heart_disease.html, http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/news/20060118/why-cocoa-may-help-heart-health

• Add one-half scoop of NOW Pea Protein powder. (Not really a noticeable taste, at least for me.) You determine how much in comparison to the rice protein powder. The idea is to balance the two out, each making up for the deficiencies of the other. It might be easy to overdue how much you add. Remember: 1 gram of protein equals four calories (pea and rice protein, some found in the other ingredients; 1 gram of carbs equals four calories (berries, oats, banana); 1 gram of fat equals 9 calories (nuts, seeds, cocoa).

• Add around one-half to two-thirds scoop (the rice protein doesn’t come with a scoop, so I used the NOW Pea Protein scooper) of NutriBiotic Rice Protein, Vanilla Flavor. (It tastes really good, to me!) The idea is to balance the two out, but not putting in too much protein! (All the ingredients are adding up, calorie-wise.)

• Add one-third to one-half cup ORGANIC oatmeal, uncooked (OPTIONAL). This adds fiber, clean carbs, cholesterol-reducing oats. It also thickens up the shake. Only downside are that the oatmeal adds a fair number of carbs. Oatmeal also inhibits spikes in blood sugar levels (I recall). See, e.g., http://www.eatmoreoats.com/health.html, http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=54

• Add part of an ORGANIC banana (OPTIONAL). After an upper or lower body workout, the banana may help raise blood sugar levels, which some suggest will help the protein get absorbed better. (While I recall reading this, this article suggests otherwise: http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/35/2/109.full.pdf (cites the article, perhaps more comprehensively: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1724313/). Regardless, bananas are pretty nutritional and taste good!

• Add one-half to full-cup of Whole Foods 365 Unsweetened almond milk (OPTIONAL). It hardly has any calories, tastes good, and fools me into thinking it’s milk! I use it instead of milk for cereal (I make a muesli of organic oats, organic spelt, organic rye (PCC, Whole Foods, or Ballard Market bulk section), organic raisins (Costco), walnuts, frozen organic blueberries and raspberries (Trader Joes, though now I’ll be getting the Costco organic frozen anti-oxidant mix), organic pumpkin seeds, pistachio nuts, etc.)

• Add one cup or more cold water.

• Pulse blend at first, then steady to mix ingredients.

All told, if you balance things out right, you can make a shake that has between 300 to 400 calories, depending on how much stuff you put in it. The nuts and seeds can make a big difference, since they have fat, but fat is important. Not a bad meal, especially right after a strength-training workout. To count calories in foods without a Nutrition Data facts label on the package, see this link: http://nutritiondata.self.com/ (This site has so much info on every food it’s amazing!)