Help! Tinnitus, problems with concentration and tiredness.

Hi,

I'm vegan since 4 months. Lately I'm trying to loose some fat and build muscles. Aerobic 3 times per a week, jogging, exercising. Yesterday I bought dumbbells, 2kg per one (I'm a beginner).

After yesterday jogging and exercises I was dying from exhaustion. Today after morning jogging I was't that exhausted but very sleepy. Now I feel dizzy, weak, I have tinnitus, can't learn. I can't move a lot now, because I could faint. What is wrong with me!! I don't take any suplements, but I'm going to buy B12 on monday. I eat well, broccoli (every day), nuts, legumes, cereals etc. I'm 180cm tall...hm it's 5'9 ft and 70kg weight. I usually don't eat a lot of calories, but beacause of I started to train more, I also started to eat more.

And my nutrition on last days:

1714kcal, 67g proteins, 57g fats, 238g carbons

1741kcal, 58g proteins, 61g fats, 242g carbons

2230kcal, 77g proteins, 92g fats, 285g carbons

24.03 (I ate today more, because I thought that maybe amount of calories is a problem)

2630kcal, 98g proteins, 97g fats, 351g carbons

Do you have any ideas what should help me? Sorry if there are mistakes in my text, english is my second language.

Joanna

You have an Iodine deficiency which slows down your thyroid and metabolism, hence weight gain and tinnitus. Source.

Lower your "fats" intake to 7-10% of your total calories and up the carbs. Your body runs on Glucose, not fats.

Total protein intake should be between 7-10% of your total daily calories. Carbs should be above 70% of your total daily calories.

I'm guessing you're eating nuts for protein? Nuts are very high in fat and should be eaten in small quantities.

Vegetables, fruits, legumes, cereals are all great sources of protein, carbs and should be eaten as much as needed.

Your English is understandable. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Thanks! So..I will find suplement with Iodine I hope it will help.

Oh... I thought that the best balance is 30% fats, 30% proteins and 60% carbs!

Actually I eat nuts for fat not proteins, I thought that fat is imortant, so I was even drinking oil of olives. So I'm very gald that I don't need to drink it that much. Most of my proteins are form legumes. I love fruits, I could eat 1 kg apples per a day, but what about level of fructosa? I read that to high level of fructosa is unhealthy and causes obesity and kidneys diseases

veghead25, I think you're right about Iodine. I realised that since month or two I add to my dinners a lot of salt. I was trying to fight with it, but each day I'm adding more and more. Last night I had an salt attack, I ate a loooot of salty peanutt butter, this morning 225g of nuts in salt!!! I think my organism is searching for Iodine so badly, that is why I'm eating that much!! It's a disaster for me. I was reducing kalories for 2 weeks, and now... in short period I ate something like 3000kcal!!! I have no idea how I will burn it!!! NOooooo....and it's just the beginning of a day so I will eat probably much more. MASSACRE!!

Thanks! So..I will find suplement with Iodine I hope it will help.

You might want to be careful you don't get a multivitamin supplement that also contains Vitamin B6 in the form of Pyridoxine because Pyridoxine causes vivid nightmares. Unless you want nightmares.

pyridoxal-5'-phosphate is the healthy form of Vitamin B6.

If you can find an Iodine only supplement, its best to go with that. I'm sure if you ask the pharmacist for Iodine, they will be able to help you out with what type of Iodine is best to use however don't let them give you hormones.

Oh... I thought that the best balance is 30% fats, 30% proteins and 60% carbs!

I use to believe this also however these ratios are made up to fit the meat ratios and sell meat. Hence meat is above 30% in fat and above 20% in protein.

Mothers milk is only 6% protein and a baby grows.

Actually I eat nuts for fat not proteins, I thought that fat is imortant, so I was even drinking oil of olives. So I'm very gald that I don't need to drink it that much. Most of my proteins are form legumes. I love fruits, I could eat 1 kg apples per a day, but what about level of fructosa? I read that to high level of fructosa is unhealthy and causes obesity and kidneys diseases.

Fat is important however when it is between 5-10% of the total calories. I prefer the 7-10% ratio of fat from my total calories.

Its best to focus on healthy fats like avocados and use olive oil in small quantities with salads because its easy eating too many fats from olive oil since its pure fat without any vitamins, minerals and fiber.

For example: 39g is my 10% of total daily calories from fat and 89g is my 10% of total daily calories from protein. As you can see, I'm getting more than enough fats and protein. I'm 178cm in height and 70kg in weight.

The fructose they are talking about is called high fructose corn syrup(HFCS), it is not found in fruits and vegetables. You can eat all the fruit and vegetabbles you want when keeping the fats at 5-10% of your total daily calories. When the fats are kept within required limits, you can eat all the fruits and vegetables you care for, all the bananas you care for and will never get a heart attack.

Too much fat causes obesity, kidney diseases and heart disease. Basically, fat in excess clogs up the body.

Simple rule: The fat you eat in excess is the fat you wear.

veghead25, I think you're right about Iodine. I realised that since month or two I add to my dinners a lot of salt. I was trying to fight with it, but each day I'm adding more and more. Last night I had an salt attack, I ate a loooot of salty peanutt butter, this morning 225g of nuts in salt!!! I think my organism is searching for Iodine so badly, that is why I'm eating that much!! It's a disaster for me. I was reducing kalories for 2 weeks, and now... in short period I ate something like 3000kcal!!! I have no idea how I will burn it!!! NOooooo....and it's just the beginning of a day so I will eat probably much more. MASSACRE!!

Ouch! You should be more careful but I understand the salt addiction.

Once your Iodine levels are back in healthy ranges, your thyroid hormones will be in healthy ranges, hence your metabolism will be in a healthy range and you will loose the weight in no time.

Does the Salt you ate contain Iodine? Salt is not a healthy source of Iodine because a lot of Iodized salt needs to ingested to meet the required amounts of Iodine.

I eat a lot of carrots, broccoli and other vegetables. These seem to contain Iodine for me because I jump out of bed in the morning. If the vegetables were grown in Iodine rich soil, then the vegetables will contain Iodine. Of course its hard to know which vegetables contain Iodine and which ones don't.

I'm doing a little research for myself on Iodine for sources. I will post if I have info.

You might want to be careful you don't get a multivitamin supplement that also contains Vitamin B6 in the form of Pyridoxine because Pyridoxine causes vivid nightmares. Unless you want nightmares.

I was in pharmacy last friday, they have only multivitamin suplement! I didn't take it (smart girl!). Tomorrow I will try other pharmacies and shops with healthy food. If there won't be anything good for me I will buy it in internet shop.

I have nightmares without taking Pyridoxine, so I don't want to make my "night life" worst.

If you can find an Iodine only supplement, its best to go with that. I'm sure if you ask the pharmacist for Iodine, they will be able to help you out with what type of Iodine is best to use however don't let them give you hormones.

Ok, thanks, I will be careful.

Fat is important however when it is between 5-10% of the total calories.

Perfect, I didn't eat a lot of fat before. I started to do it last weeks, because I read a lot of informations on bodybuilders forums (not that one) that I need more fat and protein to be super strong

Most of my meals are raw, boild or cooked on vapour, so I use oil only for salads... I guess I can finally come back to my favourite low fat diet!

For example: 39g is my 10% of total daily calories from fat and 89g is my 10% of total daily calories from protein. As you can see, I'm getting more than enough fats and protein. I'm 178cm in height and 70kg in weight.

Our numbers are quite similar

Do you know how many kalories as a vegan girl who lead active life should I eat per a day? I am 180cm, 70kg.... and trying to have 65kg?

As no vegan I think I should eat around 2000kcal... is it the same for vegans? If I stop eat fats my daily amout of kcal will be around 1500kcal? Isn't it too less?? I don't want my metabolism to slow down

The fructose they are talking about is called high fructose corn syrup(HFCS), it is not found in fruits and vegetables. You can eat all the fruit and vegetabbles you want when keeping the fats at 5-10% of your total daily calories. When the fats are kept within required limits, you can eat all the fruits and vegetables you care for, all the bananas you care for and will never get a heart attack.

Oh yeah! Good to know. I'm fruit lover! I read an article about amount of fructose in fruits and how important is to don't eat too much of it. It was in Polish, so I think there is no reason to add a link. Anyway, in my free time I will read about it more... from different sources and try to find the truth

Thanks for article about salt. I'm going to read it during eatting my dinner and let you know what I think about it later

Very low fat and low kcal dinner!

Because of You my diet will be much more smarter!

Greetings from full of vitamine D Spain!

Joanna

PS. Now I use iodized salt, but I guess it's not good, I have to buy sea salt soon.

1500kcals is too less. I should of noted to up your carbohydrates to meet your daily needs. Your trillion cells and brain need fuel.

80% from Carbs

10% from Fats - Atleast 7%

10% from Protein - Atleast 7%

You can use cronometer to find out how much you need to eat daily.

http://cronometer.com/ - Online version

http://cronometer.com/download/ - Desktop version

The fastest way to loose weight is by eating lots of steamed veggies which are rich in Vitamins, Minerals and Antioxidants, hence speed up metabolism.

I've been reading that unrefined sea salt or celtic sea salt contains Iodine while white refined sea salt contains no Iodine. So.. Tomorrow I'm on the hunt for unrefined sea salt myself.

Good luck!

More salt info: http://naturalhealthnews.blogspot.it/2008/01/salt-may-be-health-scam.html

Nice, I downloaded cronometer, it's really good! Thanks!

I checked with cronometer my food which I'm going to eat tomorrow. And my conclusion is... it's not possible to eat THAT amount of food! Oh my... I think only one solution is to sit all day in the kitchen and eat without brakes to obtain satisfying amount of carbons! I just don't have idea how physically it is possible.

I agree with you about the carbohydrates. You'll have to experiment with how many carbohydrates you need. If you feel like you're gaining weight, lower your carbohydrates. Fruit and vegetables carbs I personally don't count. I try to get around 1200-1400 calories from cereals, vegan foods, the rest I get from fruits and vegetables.

The estimate in cronometer is a guess. Try this calculator.

http://walking.about.com/cs/calories/l/blcalcalc.htm

I guess I should stop counting everything what goes through my throat. It's making a big mess in my head. My nutrition habits are very good (except single attacks of eating everything on my way). I eat about 5-6 meals per a day (3 big, 3 small). When I can I buy bio food and I try to avoid processed food. In the mornings I eat oats with banana, in the evenings quinoa/lentils/chickpea/rice with lots of vegetables and as a supper salad. Between my main meals I eat fruits and sometimes nuts drin water or water with fresh lemon juice. Everything is perfect and my belly is happy, I just need more Iodine and B12 and calm down with counting Usually I eat less calories per day than I should, but I'm not starving... I just don't feel that I need (or can) eat more.

I think that if I will follow this rules (listen to my body needs) and train like I'm training now.... soon I will be real WonderWoman!!

So I invested in Fucus. I'm safe now.... ufff

Now B12 and I will be most healthy girl in the city! yeah!

I'm not sure if Cronometer is right, but it shows that in mashrooms is small amount of B12. If it's true my organism is really smart machine! Before I became a vegan I was eating mushrooms few times per a year, now I eat mushrooms almost everyday (I didn't understand why)! This is so amazing that my body knows what it needs without help from knowledge side

yhyhy... I'm so excited!

I think that if I will follow this rules (listen to my body needs) and train like I'm training now.... soon I will be real WonderWoman!!

Funny gal. Exactly! Listen to your body.

You would have to eat about 5 kilos of mushrooms everyday to meet your requirements for B12. Its best to supplement. Only Bacteria have the enzymes to make B12, neither humans nor plants can make it.

Yes... I'm going to be a super hero. I like to believe that one day I will find out what are my super powers! So I could protect our planet from cruelty and violence.

To be honest I discovered one special skill in myself. It's ability for make people laugh and a little bit more happier for a moment... but you know, it's not enough

I know that somewhere deep inside me something special is waiting for it's best moment to come out!

whats enlightening is that you're being yourself.

Yeah... sometimes I'm trying to be more like a normal human (just like Clark Kent in Daily Planet). But it's even more strange than when I am a Super Hero. Being yourself is most important thing, if you are pretending somebody else you can't demand respect from others. (this is my small opinion)

My brain is free and well developed, but I still don't know where is the end of the darkness when I close my eyes. I actually have small teory about that, but I guess that I shouldn't move this topic on this forum, it hasn't got conection with nutrition or body building.