are hunger pains indicating that muscle will be lost?

Sorry if this is a newbie question, but since the shoe fits!.. I am not yet vegan, but have drastically increased my intake of raw leafy greens for better health and vitality and to generally improve my diet. I am considering a juice fast for 7-10 days of pretty much coconut water and raw leafy greens thrown into my Vitamix. In the past, when I have attempted juice fasts, the intense hunger pains drove me insane and I went back to solid food within a day, but I do have the discipline to stick with it if I do it in a period where I dont have much work to do and can relax most days.

BUT, does the intense hunger pains mean that my body is in a catabolic state and will therefore start breaking down muscle for fuel, and therefore I will lose muscle mass? Or are hunger pains simply signals that the stomach is bored and wants something to do? Can lots of water and greens provide enough fuel to maintain muscle over a 7-10 day period? Not sure if it matters, but I am 41, 5-11", 180lbs with about 16% bodyfat currently.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance for feedback and guidance.

-Ryan

It depends on how long and often you are feeling hunger pains. Right before a meal probably isn't a problem. However, if you aren't getting enough calories or protein you will not build muscle........possibly not even retain what you have.

Raw diets are not optimal for building muscle. They are high bulk(fiber = water together) so you are feeling "full" on fewer calories and likely a smaller amount of protein.

Why are you going to do a juice fast? If your priority is to clean and detox your body, then that would be great. Focus on that for the week.

You can not detox and exercise/build muscle while fasting. Think about it. Exercising hard produces free radicals (metabolic wastes) more than just chillin' for the week while you fast.

Keep the diet for each of these different metabolic processes separate.

Hunger pangs don't strictly mean that you're catabolic, but they're a good indicator. I've read of two different causes. First, an empty stomach for a moderate period of time (between 6 and 24 hours, depending the person), and second, low serum glucose.

Neither situation necessarily means that your energy reserves are spent, but you're probably getting close, particularly in the second case. When you body does start to need more energy, it's going to consume a mix of fats and muscle depending on exactly what's needed, hormone levels, etc.

The best thing to do is to consume enough calories in the juices to keep your energy up. Why are you doing the juice fast?