Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 428 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: Project Heavygan: Eat Plates To Move Plates
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:07 pm 
Gorilla

5/3/1: Cycle One, Week Three, Day One
Loadable Assistance Template

Quote:
Fads come and go, but the barbell remains the same. Respect it accordingly. - Jim Wendler

NUTRITION
50/135/240
Rough estimation. I had Chipotle for my post-work out meal.

VIGNETTE
Working nights has been killing my attempts to eat more. I eat as much and as close to my 5:00 p.m. clock-in time as possible and then, for the next 6.5 to 7 hours, I'm on my feet and moving around (and carrying things) without any food until I clock out. Couple this with the fact that I've gone back to training after work because the gym is less crowded and I go about 8.5-9 hours without a substantial meal. Since hunger has been through the roof, eating right after training isn't the issue and neither is eating again within the hour following. It's trying to eat after that or large amounts of food at once that I've found problematic - I'm either too full or exhausted to do much of anything other than eating a tablespoon of peanut butter.
Of course, these are all excuses - I shouldn't be complaining about needing to eat more food when there are people who are doing bodybuilding contest prep and only getting 1,200 calories a day and there's no way my maintenance is only 2,000 these days. It's simply a matter of getting enough sleep, staying hydrated throughout the day, eating twice before work, once in between my shift and the gym, and then twice again when I get home. It's not brain surgery - it just requires more effort on my part and I need to man the fuck up about it.

SESSION
Warm-up: Cycle, hip flexors, hip circles, stretching, foam rolling, light leg extensions.

Barbell squat
80x5; 100x5
120x5; 140x3; 155x10 (PR)
Seriously considering resetting my max to lower on the next cycle and working my way back up to this kind of weight. Depth was dodgy even at 140 and my hips have no been happy with how wide my stance is recently.

Stiff-legged deadlifts
70x10; 80x10; 90x10
These felt way too light but that's the point, I suppose.

Back raises
40x10x3
Using the bar for good mornings is not going to be an issue - these felt great.

Leg curls
70x10x3

Hanging leg raises
10x5
Wanted to get a little bit of abdominal work in but nothing major.

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:11 pm 
Gorilla

If you need to drop weight for better depth, simply do it. Nice workout all round mate solid numbers :) Good to read a blog again, I always cehck yours daily haha

I had a shout out from the man him self btw ;D

"Don't fall for that crap that people are peddling on the message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn't matter" Jim Wendler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:42 pm 
Gorilla

Definitely going to drop weight on my squats a bit and I'm almost 100% sure I'm going to run BBB for my first 2-3 cycles before moving on to the loadable assistance (unless this week really wins me over). I've never lifted in a caloric surplus before and BBB seems like I'll get the most bang for my buck in terms of growth and strength gains. I mean, for all intents and purposes, while it wouldn't be "starting from scratch," running 5/3/1 with the BBB template and eating to grow is a reboot from the last six months were all I've really done is spin my wheels with too low of calories and a billion different exercises. I need to keep it simple and keep things in perspective.

I always check your log first, mate, even before I update mine. I'm always pretty stoked to see when you've put up a lengthier blog or an article/quotes - there's always some useful and entertaining information in there, most definitely.

A shout-out from Wendler? Damn. What'd he say?

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:00 pm 
Gorilla

He's into his extreme metal like me & I showed him this video http://youtu.be/WrVet2SVw-M He just said thats awesome ect the bands don't live all that far from me.

I ve really enjoyed the loadable assistance, it's again something I'd champion. I love programming shit now, I ve started programming warm up sets to . I had been doing them off the top of my head & tbh were pretty spot on but It's still good to know what to warm up with. I am though pretty excited to get going on the bbb challenge.
Someone asked me about the program & after I had told them the guy said "ye but some days you don't wanna lift like that" I just said "dude if I haven't got at a maximum 5 solid reps in 3 sets why bother at all" haha

I think bbb would be a good way to go, Like you say with squats you can get a fuck load of work in with minimal fuss & if right now your shifts don't suit you?

"Don't fall for that crap that people are peddling on the message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn't matter" Jim Wendler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:46 pm 
Elephant

they dont give you any breaks to slam down some food?? either way you are determined and a beast, im sure you will figure it out! wish i was posting more on your forum...will try harder...

https://www.youtube.com/user/doctorvannostrand100

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:16 am 
Gorilla

5/3/1: Cycle One, Week Two, Day Five
Programmable Assistance Template

NUTRITION
54/179/223

SESSION
Warm-up: Jumping role, shoulder dislocations, dips.

Barbell bench press
45x5
55x5
60x5
65x3
70x9
No, your eyes do not deceive you. I loaded the wrong plates for my last set - it was supposed to be 75. I didn't realize this until the fifth rep at which point I became pretty pissed off. I put the 75 up once but still find this to be an epic fail on my part.

Barbell incline bench press
45x10
55x10
65x10
I much prefer close-grip to these, namely because it's harder for me to keep my form on lock for some reason.

Kroc rows
35x15x2
I wanted higher reps but I'll get them next time. These feel stronger every time I do them.

Tricep pushdowns with v-bar attachment
60x10
70x10
80x10

Close-grip EZ-bar curls
30x12x3

Walking
20 minutes, 1.21 miles, 7% incline

5/3/1: Cycle One, Week Three, Day Four

NUTRITION

53/123/223

SESSION
Warm-up: Walking, light leg curls, hip flexors/circles

Barbell deadlift
115x5
135x5
145x5
165x3
185x11 (PfuckingR)
Heavy rows and face pulls are doing wonders for my lock-out; grip is improving from the farmer's walks and rows as well.

Front barbell squat
65x10
70x10
75x10
ATG and it felt awesome.

Seated leg curl
60x10x3

Barbell good mornings
45x10x3
These felt really solid and form was great. I expect them to progress slowly and I'm totally okay with that.

Back raises
10x3

Farmers walks
100 feet with 45lbs in each hand x 4

Hill walking
20 minutes, 20lbs in each hand for 10 minutes, 4.5% incline

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:31 am 
Gorilla

That's a pretty sweet dead pr!! Glad to see you're already making gains! I
Followed Wendlers advice, required reps on the 3x5 weeks then push on the 3x3-5/3/1 weeks. Well
Done!!! 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:26 pm 
Elephant

vegansludge wrote:
NUTRITION
50/135/240
Rough estimation. I had Chipotle for my post-work out meal.

Chipotle is correct.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:30 am 
Gorilla

veggiesasquatch wrote:
That's a pretty sweet dead pr!! Glad to see you're already making gains! I
Followed Wendlers advice, required reps on the 3x5 weeks then push on the 3x3-5/3/1 weeks. Well
Done!!! 

Thanks, mate! Things are going the way they should be now that I'm back on a strength program - can't believe there was a time when my deads and squats were the same numbers. This first deload week will be interesting but hopefully running BBB while make it seem less, well, boring.

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:08 am 
Gorilla

5/3/1: Cycle One, Week Three, Day Five

NUTRITION

45/163/230

VIGNETTE
This whole "not having a laptop of my own" business might be the best and worst thing that's happened for my productivity. On the one hand, I'm behind in doing proper logs, updating my blog, as well as reading my favorite sites, logs, and blogs. On the other hand, I've managed to plow through a few books and graphic novels, outline some articles of my own, and have kept my apartment much cleaner than usual. I suppose I'll take the bad with the good. Kind of like the following OHP session that was full of the wrong lifts/weights because I, inadvertently, left my notebook at home and tried to go by memory, which, after working a full-shift, is rather faulty but also produced a pretty solid PR.
I suppose I should also note that my Adidas Powerlift Trainers arrived earlier in the day so I had to try them out, hence the little bit of squatting included after my main lift. Call me a pessimist but I wasn't expecting to feel much of a difference just because of a pair of shoes. However, to say that I was pleasantly surprised would be an extreme understatement - ankles felt more secure, my knees tracked much more easily, and depth was insane. Can't wait for week three of cycle two already.

SESSION
Warm-up: 10 minutes cycling, lots of shoulder dislocations, stretching, and some sets of cable shrugs and wide-grip lateral pulldowns because the rack was being used.

Barbell shoulder press
45x8x2
45x5x2
50x5
55x3
60x9
Neither the 15s or 20s were open so I gave myself a few extra warm-up sets/reps with the bar. Thought it was going to thrash my last set but I guess the switch to a false-grip gave me the mental/form boost I needed to go full-on beast.

Barbell squat
95x5
115x5
135x5
I wanted so badly to go heavier but I practiced restraint. The time will come.

Close-grip barbell bench
45x10
55x10
65x10
I'd much rather do these than incline. And so would my shoulders.

]Face pulls
80x15
80x10
70x10

Tricep pushdowns with v-bar attachment
60x10
70x10
80x10
Super-setted these with the hammer curls. Should have done dips but the assistance machine was in use and my upper-body is so beta.

Hammer curls
15x10
10x10x2

Rack chins
5x10
These were done between sets of OHP and CGBP.

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:12 am 
Gorilla

I'm about to look at these adidas shoes as right now I squat in my running ones. Theres a good site called strengthshop over here & they have some pretty heavy duty power stuff...I used my mates belt & it was amazing how it supported me. As I suffer sciatica it's something I have to train a round, I go raw as much as possible & only ever "belt up" on my last set of deads (did this the last couple of week) & it does help me out. But even now typing this I'm aware of my back.

Nice work all round again, will be interesting to see (once you nail down a template) the progress. I think your going to make some seriously great gains on this. I ve gone back & fourth over the three month challenge as you never go for reps on any of the working sets, but I know there's even more work to do in reality when that lift has it's 5x10. I have looked a the three cycles with the rise in percentages & month 3 looks disgusting, game on.....

I came to the conclusion this week I don't like incline barbell work either & good mornings. But alas you have to throw them in!

ps I personally prefer you with a laptop haha

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:24 am 
Gorilla

How did you find the fit of those shoes? Did you order your actual size, one above/below? I'm going to have to order from U.S so returning them would be a pain. Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:10 am 
Gorilla

My biggest thing with the BBB challenge is not going for reps on the last set. I think i'm still at a point where my numbers are low enough that I'd benefit from running the original template and pushing for reps and then, once I can start throwing in more assistance work/focus on smaller weaknesses, I'll be doing the challenge or switching to the programmable assistance template.

For the shoes, they fit true to size, I think. I own one other pair of Adidas Sambas (to skate in) and just went by that and they fit almost exactly the same. There is a lot out of room in the toes, though, and I don't mean size-wise - as in the part above the foot gives me a lot of room but I also have really flat skinny feet.

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:54 am 
Gorilla

I woke up and saw that Wendler had posted a new article titled "Losing Weight and Getting Stronger." This is exactly what I needed to read this morning after waking up and feeling "heavy."

Quote:
I don’t believe in training to lose body fat or whatever. I only believe in training to be awesome. - Jim Wendler

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:08 pm 
Elephant

beast on the deadlift and farmers walk and the shoulder presses!!!

https://www.youtube.com/user/doctorvannostrand100

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 428 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next