Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Curious
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:43 pm 
Manatee

Nothing quite like taking out frustrations on the weights...I felt really weak and tired going into my workout, and that added to my frustrations so I just killed it. Saying no just wasn't an option today. On most exercises, if I didn't increase the weight, I increased the reps. On a couple things I did both. My DB shoulder presses destroyed me, putting the weights back I couldn't stop my entire arms from trembling.
With my tricep dips, I have been using a 10lb plate on my legs, but after 2 sets today I decided that that's not enough. I switched to a 25lb plate for 2 more sets (same number reps), failed on the last rep, but then something irritated me more, so I cranked out several more reps. That hurt.
To finish off the workout I did my 3 sets of push ups and by the last few reps of my last set (the incline push ups) I was about ready to scream or cry.
LOVED IT!
I have pictures to put up here, hopefully I'll upload them a bit later today.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:26 pm 
Manatee

I swear my bicep looks more impressive in person lol But this is me now...Feel free to ignore the prominent veins and bad, fresh from the shower hair!

Attachments:
P3040883 (600x450).jpg
P3040883 (600x450).jpg [ 135.03 KiB | Viewed 1389 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:45 am 
Manatee

Really, really struggling to find motivation to get my ass to the gym today..It's only a leg day, too. Since my groin still isn't 100%, that means a quick, 40min workout without a lot of strain. And still I can't find the motivation. Blah.
I probably will get there, simply because I don't want to screw up my schedule, but it's just the process that's dragging me down.
On a brighter note, I ate A LOT of food yesterday, it was delicious, and today I'm cutting down big time...my nutrition log has been all over the place the last week or 2 since up'ing my calories, and I'm actually excited to get it back under control. Bring some order back to my diet lol I started this morning with a delicious protein shake...30g protein, frozen strawberries, and water :) Oh, and an earl grey tea...that was delicious, too.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:05 pm 
Manatee

Good session today..Took everything to near-failure. On my last set of everything (except bench since I don't have a spot) I went at least 4 reps extra.. Shoulders are pretty sore at the moment. I did pull-ups for the first time today. I can't believe I waited this long to do them! I felt that everywhere.
Today went...
Bench press 65lb x 9 for 3 sets
Pec Deck 60lb x 12 for 3 sets (I couldn't crank out anymore than that..)
Incline DB Curl 15lb x 10 for 3 ..Last set went to I think 3 or 4 extra reps per side
Standing DB Curl 15lb x 12 for 3 ..4 extra per side on last set
BB Shoulder Press 30lb x 12 for 3 ..I had to pause for a few seconds before I cranked out 6 more. Had to use my legs on them.
Lateral/Front DB raise type thing 10lb x 9 for 3 ..3 extra per side on last set
Tricep Extensions 25lb x 12 for 3
Skull Crushers 30lb x 8 for 2 Super set with Close grip bench with 30lb x 12 for 2 ..Last bench went to 15 reps.
Deadlifts (Since I didn't do them yesterday) 100lb x 10 for 3. I wanted to do more, but I'm a little hesitant to push too hard when it comes to back.
Pull-ups - I used the Gravitron (I think that's the name?) and was lifting 76% of my bodyweight, did 3 sets of 8
Push ups - 3 sets, 1 incline, 1 flat, 1 decline and up'd reps to 14 per. (Arms nearly gave out on me)
After I sat for a second, I felt like I needed more so I did 6 more pull ups.

This workout made me feel much better today :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:50 am 
Gorilla

Hey Sam! Looks like you're doing great! Good job keeping up with your fitness. Seems like there are a bunch of us (myself included) who have been struggling to keep it regular lately, so kudos to you!

Sorry to hear you didn't like some of the protein powder in the prize package. I haven't tried that Garden of Life one yet. As for the Vega Pre-Workout Energizer, I often use it and think it's great. Sometimes I don't feel much of an effect either, but then other times it makes a huge difference. I know it works, though, because this past summer I made a lot of long roadtrips, and drinking that stuff woke me up even better than coffee when I felt myself drifting. :) BUT, glad you love the ProBar. I LOVE them, too! I love the acai one and the berry one, if you haven't tried those, I'd recommend them!

Happy to read about your progress!

All the best,
Karen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:20 pm 
Manatee

I bribed myself with a bagel today in order to ensure that I went to the gym after work...the bribe worked lol The option to have the bagel was conditional on going to the gym. Let me tell you though, doing a full workout is ROUGH after 11hrs at work! I got through everything I should have for upper body, though it felt like I was forgetting to do something, and I'm still not sure what it was.
I had to go to the gym tonight since tomorrow there won't be enough time, and screwing up my schedule just wasn't an option. I'm not sure if that's a little OCD of me or not...but hey, it gets me into the gym, so I'll allow it. I'm really hoping I'll be in good enough condition (aka only minor hangover) on sunday to make it into the gym...otherwise I'm ok with doing a double on monday, or I guess it would just be considered a whole body workout.
As far as diet is concerned, we're just going to pretend like this weekend didn't happen. I have a feeling it's going to be bad. Not one of my friends that I'm having for the weekend eats anything like I do...they all still eat chips, pizza, etc. I got a selection of veggies for snacks...but who knows how long that good intention will last.

It's an hour early, but as I won't be posting tomorrow, Happy St Patrick's Day everyone! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:40 am 
Gorilla

Hope you're enjoying the weekend, Sam! And that it doesn't throw you too far off-track. But, with your determination, I'm sure you'll be right back on it tomorrow!! :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:22 pm 
Manatee

kareno wrote:
Hope you're enjoying the weekend, Sam! And that it doesn't throw you too far off-track. But, with your determination, I'm sure you'll be right back on it tomorrow!! :)

Thanks, Karen! I did have a great weekend...definitely didn't make it to the gym yesterday lol but made it today despite being called into work. I even managed to up my squats! :D I'm still at a sad 65lbs, but it's an improvement, so I'll take it lol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:52 pm 
Gorilla

Nice!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:14 pm 
Manatee

Pulled a double yesterday...those kinda days make me happy. Especially when one session is heavy lifting. First time in the gym, on lunch, was supposed to be legs, and it was essentially, but I only did leg extensions/curls to waste time until a squat rack was free. Hit deadlifts first, 135lbs x 8 for 3 sets (back is feeling that today - but in a good way!), and a squat rack STILL wasn't open, so I used the smith machine for one set...there's unknown resistance on the bar, so no idea what I was lifting. Moved to a real rack - went 65lbs for 3 sets of 10 and my groin still felt good, so I went for a fourth with 75lbs. It felt SO good to start increasing weight again!
I went back to the gym after work, and some of the employees definitely called me out on the two-a-day...Apparently I'm there a lot, I'm becoming well known. No weights this round, just Zumba, and that makes the day seem awesome. This was my first form of cardio since...very beginning of January.

Yesterday was a good day.

I also finished my fat burner...just knowing that I'm not on it has a bad mental affect. I'm not about to rely on a pill to make me feel lean, though, and since I'm getting back to cardio, I don't need them anymore. We'll see how this goes!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:22 pm 
Manatee

I had to skip yesterday's workout...I wasn't happy about it, but my back was still quite tender from the deadlifts on thursday, and a sore back just makes me nervous. I didn't want to push my luck.
Got back to it today with a leg workout...
Sitting leg curls x 12 (3 sets)
Leg extensions x 10 (3 sets)
Squats.. just bar for 8 as a warm up, 65lb for 10, 75lb x 10 (3 sets) (Leg still felt good! :D )
Deadlifts 115lbs x 8 (3 sets)
Lying leg curls x 12 (4 sets)
Standing calf raises w/ 30lb BB x 30 (3 sets)
Oblique twists w/ 12lb medicine ball x 30 (3 sets)

I still had the jello-leg feeling when I left the gym..I haven't had that for quite a while, and I really missed it. So glad to be getting back to normal! :)
Back in the gym tomorrow for my upper body workout.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:40 pm 
Manatee

Decent workout..I'm really not sure why, but it feels like something is missing. I'm not sure if it's that I'm not isolating properly, not doing enough exercises, or just plain ol' not pushing hard enough, but I don't like it. My pushups at the end of the workout still make me want to scream, but it takes until the third set for me to feel that way, so maybe I'm not working hard enough with my other exercises? I have kinda hit a plateau appearance wise...I'm not really sure why, though. I have several exercises that I do for different areas, and pick 2 different ones each time I'm in the gym so that my muscles don't adjust too much. Maybe I should do 'cardio lifting' for a couple sessions...I've been in the 10-12 range with everything for quite some time. Hopefully changing up the weight/reps will help me snap back into it, but if anyone has any suggestions, I welcome them!!

Today's workout...
Flat bench 65lb x 10 (3 sets)
Pec Deck 60lb x 12 (3 sets)
Standing BB bicep curls with EZ bar 30lb x 12 (3 sets) These hurt!!
Incline DB bicep curls 15lb x 12 (3 sets)
BB shoulder press 40lb x 9 (3 sets) Some older man tried to tell me to use the 30lb because the 40 was too heavy...I showed him :wink:
Lateral raise superset w/ front raise 10lb x 8 (3 sets)
Tricep dips w/ feet on stability ball and 25lb plate on lap x 12 (3 sets)
Tricep extensions 25lb x 10 (3 sets)
BB standing rows 40lb x 15 (3 sets)
Pullups (on gravitron) 83% bodyweight x 6 (3 sets)
Pushups - 14/set. 1 set incline, 1 flat, 1 decline

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:23 pm 
Manatee

Gym session today was BodyPump with my boss (anyone who does or has gone to Goodlife gyms will know the class). Pretty good workout overall. I up'd weights on most tracks because I needed to let out some frustrations.. felt great! By the time the lunge track came around, however, my leg wasn't feeling so good. I didn't do much of the lunges :( Otherwise it was really good.
Tomorrow is supposed to be a leg day, but due to a varge extensive surgery in the morning, I probably won't have enough time to get to the gym on lunch, and after work I'm supposed to go to a lecture...so it's probably waiting until friday. Unless of course I don't get out of work on time to go to the lecture, then I'll go to the gym lol To sum it up...tomorrow is going to be exhausting. Given that I learned that one small DQ blizzard is nearly 800 calories though, I'm gunna need to run my butt off after the one I had today! :?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:03 am 
Manatee

Diet has been completely out of control lately :? Not good...While I have been graced with a fast metabolism and haven't gained weight from all the crap I've eaten, I look really soft. I'm taking back control of my food intake today..but the latter part of the week/the weekend isn't going to be good. Easter weekend at the parents' and they don't get the healthy eating thing at all. Hopefully I can pretend that I don't see the chocolate, cookies, bread, and chips... :shock:
I'm mostly back on track with my gym schedule..tomorrow will bring me up to pace. Friday I hit a few leg exercises just so that I was doing something after the atrocious amount of food I ate on thursday. I was EXTREMELY happy with the squats that I did...(I also did leg extensions and curls)
45lb (just BB) x 8 for warm up
65lb x 10 for 3 sets
85lb x 4
85 still seems so low, but it's just extremely encouraging to be increasing.

Yesterday was a double workout. Legs at 7am before I went into work. Thank god I did, too, having a good workout got me focused, calm, and relaxed and I really needed to be with the day we had. I was extremely efficient and I had no trouble multi-tasking, I didn't once feel overwhelmed by doing 3 things at once. I absolutely attribute all of that to the workout beforehand. :)
Single leg extensions (40lb each leg) - 9reps x 3
Single leg curls (40lb each leg) - 10reps x 3
Glute kickbacks (45lb I think..) - 12reps x 3
Squats - BB x 8 (warmup), 65lb x 10reps for 3, 85lb x 6reps
Deadlifts 115lb x 8 for 3
Lunges (w/ 17.5lb DB in each hand) - 20 reps/leg (I was ok with these - it must be the frequent tempo change in the class that screws me up so much)
Standing calf raises (w/ 30lb BB) - 30reps x 3

After an exhausting few hours at work, I was back in the gym for an upperbody workout..I changed up the order a bit, doing chest then back..Hoping to get a bit more out of the back exercises this way. Plus being a bigger muscle group it should be done first..right? lol I also started dropping and doing 10 pushups after every 2 exercises plus my 3 sets at the end of the workout. That increases the total amount from 42 (3 sets of 14) to 95 (I increased the final sets to 15).
Flat bench 65lb x 9 for 3
-10 push ups
Pull ups (on gravitron - lifting 80% BW) 10 for 3
Seated cable rows (not sure how the weight works on these cables...the pulley's are weighted, it's weird, but roughly 60-70lb) x 10 for 3
- 10 push ups
Cable bicep curls (again, weird weight..roughly 45lb) x 10 for 3
Incline bicep curls 17.5lb/hand (increased weight) x 8 for 3
- 10 push ups
Lateral DB raise superset w/ Front DB raise - 10lb x 8 for 3 (3 sets each way)
DB shoulder press 17.5lb/hand x 10 for 3
- 10 push ups
Skull crushers superset w/ tricep press (30lb BB) 8reps x 3 for SC, 10reps x 3 for TP
Tricep extensions 25lb x 12 for 3
- 10 pushups
Standing BB rows 50lb (increased weight) x 15 for 3
Wide grip pull downs (Again, weird weight..something like 60 - 70lb) x 10 for 3
- Pushups 15reps x 3, one incline, one flat, one decline

It STILL felt like something was missing! Like it was an imcomplete workout...Help!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:18 pm 
Manatee

Full body workout today...leg portion was awesome, upper body was still kinda blah. Plus I forgot to do a couple sets of pushups and my wide grip pull downs and BB rows..I was too busy thinking ahead to the rest of the workout instead of focusing.
I definitely completely destroyed my hamstrings today...I was walking a little funny by the time I left the gym :) My legs overall are pretty solid, but my inner thighs aren't up to par with the rest. Other than the adductor machine, does anyone have any suggestions? I already use a bit of a wider stance for my squats..I suppose I could go a bit wider. Is there anything else, though:?:

Best part of today's workout, other than squats (I'm seriously just SO happy to be doing them...even though they bring me pain haha), was my flat bench. I apparently had quite a bit of energy this morning and pumped out 3 sets of 10 with 65lbs. A couple weeks ago I was struggling with 8 reps.
Everything else was essentially the same as saturday..a few alterations..
Instead of incline bicep and cable curls..
-Preacher curls w/ 30lb EZ bar - 12reps x 3
-Standing curls w/ 30lb EZ bar - 12reps x 3
Instead of lateral/front raise superset..
-Up right row 30lb BB - 12reps x 3
I also lowered my leg extension weight by 10lb and increased reps by 5/set, and increased reps on my 85lb squat to 7 (I felt I could have done more, but I was getting shaky and didn't have a spot - figured it was best to be safe)

Oh, and my diet is back under control :) As a result of needing to keep busy to avoid thinking about eating, my apartment is incredibly clean and closets have been reorganized haha

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 24  Next