Andrea's Training Journal

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Dylan, thanks for the comment! Sorry I didn't see it sooner! The cinnamon raisin is probably my favorite, with lucuma pecan being a very close second! Happy Hiker is good if you're looking for something really earthy and with no nuts.

I've been slacking on updating! I'm going to commit to coming on here daily even if it is just a brief update. I recently got a new part time job which I am SO pumped about! Switched from working in a vegetarian/vegan kitchen to working at REI. My commute has been cut in half, which means I can bike to work! REI also has showers and storage for commuters, which makes it wicked easy and no excuses. It's 9.45 miles to work, and 9.75 on the way home. My ride is longer on the way home, since it's usually at night and I avoid going down the canal cause it's wicked dark.

So far this month....

114.47 miles on the bike, 9.92 hours of riding, 3583 calories

I kind of took it easy this week so far. I rode almost 3 hours around Phoenix on Sunday, but I think I breathed in too much through my mouth cause my throat was really sore for a few days after. I'm not used to the super dry climate yet so my body is still adjusting I guess.

I've been commuting to work on my mountain bike, which is pretty heavy. I'm hoping to build a road bike soon so I can get a little faster. There's a cool local shop with lots of frames, cranks, headsets, etc. and you just pay for the parts and can build the bike with their tools for free.

More soon!

Andrea

Nice, I need to get back into the habit of riding my bike to work. I have a friend who was working at REI for a while and absolutely loved it. But then he managed to snag a job at the one raw vegan restaurant in town and couldn't pass that up. But I hope you enjoy REI!! Keep riding!

It's such a different feeling you get when commuting via bicycle instead of by car. Red lights are a brief time to recharge, instead of getting pissed that you're running 2 minutes behind schedule. You get to actually feel the breeze on your face and hear the birds chirping. It is super relaxing for me, and seems to get me in a good head space. It also wakes my ass up so I'm much more focused.

That's sweet about your friend, Ben! I was working at a place that served "raw" but it was fake raw to me so I just didn't want to do it anymore. You know, boxed almond milk with sugar, etc instead of fresh made. Lots of things like that.

REI seems sweet so far, I just started a few weeks ago so I'm pretty green. I'm on the sales floor in action sports (bikes, kayaks, GPS) so I can't think of a better job for me

Andrea

It's pretty windy here today, so no biking for me! Lots of dust flying about!

Hit up the elliptical on fat burn for 28 minutes. 4032 strides and 293 calories. Also did some reverse and close grip pulldowns and some exercises on the total gym. I don't know any ones yet for the total gym really, so I just made some up

Andrea

9.45 miles to work in 45:35

9.75 miles home in 46:03

It was ridiculously windy on my way to work, I thought it was going to take me forever to get there! My legs are tired from my elliptical workout still, so i kinda tanked on the way home! I'll be biking to work again on Wednesday, but will probably do some weight training tomorrow

Andrea

• 2 weeks later...

So my dad was here for a week which is why I haven't been back lately. I'm super proud of him, he ate vegan for the WHOLE week and he is STILL eating that way at home now. I can't count how many times he's made fun of my food/lifestyle, said "I could never give up meat" etc, and constantly asked if I get my protein. He's been gaining weight lately, since him and my mom eat like garbage. A few days before he flew out here, he brought up that he'd like to try to eat like Jason and I while he was here.

He didn't eat an optimum vegan diet, since I took him to lots of vegan restaurants so he could see that vegans can have comfort food as well. We grilled seitan dogs outside, got a vegan pizza from wholefoods, etc. He also ate some tofu scramble I made which was surprising since normally it grosses him out. He sent me a pic on my cell today of some he made for breakfast this morning!

I'm hoping he sticks with it, or at least a whole foods diet. My mom bought a meatball sub for herself at subway the first day he was back, but he didn't get anything! She has tried to get me to eat cheese and butter so many times so I'm worried that she's going to try to mess him up. He's already lost weight and is starting to walk more so at least he's motivated! He was wearing a 2X shirt on March 19th and now fits in XL so that rocks!!

I've been commuting to work still, which is always a great way to start the day. Today I also did 25 minutes of a fat burn cycle on the elliptical with a 5 minute cool down and then swam some laps in the pool

Dude...my dad is STILL eating vegan. I guess he lost 7 pounds just this week so he's pretty pumped up. He sends me texts of his food and tells me what he has for dinner, etc. its wicked cute

I've been riding everywhere lately, but I get home late so I never remember to post

just from the past few days:

Saturday 7th: 9.45 miles in 44min, 9.75 miles in 47

Sunday 8th: 6.76 mi in 30 min, 6.76 mi in 30 min

Monday 9th: 9.45 mi in 42.5 min (yay!), 9.75 mi in 48.5min

I got a free road race entry to El Tour de Mesa this Saturday, I'm doing the 28 mile one!

Yesterday's commute was 9.45 miles in 42 minutes and 9.75 miles in 42 minutes. My legs are still tight from my race, but the ride helped for sure. I also checked the pressure on my tires and I have been riding at like 5 under the minimum psi so now she cruises like a dream on the road

Andrea

Karen,

It makes me so happy! I think he had some meat on Greek Easter (this past Sunday), but when he called me today when he was eating lunch it was a nice healthy salad! I'm just happy that he's starting to actually read labels and try and eat more whole fruits and veg!

Today's commute times:

9.45 mile road ride in 45 min

9.75 mile road ride in 49 min

On Saturday I did 9.45 miles in 50 min, and 9.75 miles in 50min. Not bad after just getting over the flu. Rode only like 2 miles yesterday nice and easy to the post office.

I rode a short 3 mile sport loop mtb track yesterday. I'm going to start training today for next years mountain biking season! I really want to move out of Cat 3 into Cat 2 so I have a lot of work to do. The courses in Cat 3 are kind of insulting, more like the junior courses, so I want a challenge next season.

Since May 1st, I've logged 73.5 road miles commuting! I joined the National Bike Challenge on Endomondo.com, so that's kind of been motivating me to ride as much as possible. We even rode our bikes to dinner the other night I've got 20 more miles of commuting today, and for the next 5 days.

I also worked on my commuter road bike on Thursday night after work. It's an 80s Schwinn that I'm converting into a single speed. It's almost finished! Once it is, I won't have to commute on my heavy ass mtb.

Andrea

Thanks, Kareno! He just called me this morning all excited about his first pair of bike shorts. And that he bought a box of vital wheat gluten and needs me to tell him how to use it

Made it 9.45 miles to work in 44 minutes yesterday!

On the way home I totally bonked, and I had a slow leak that I had to stop and fix so that took like 55 minutes.

I made some chickpea cutlets for him a few years ago, and the recipe used vital wheat gluten to hold them together. He forgot the chickpea part and thought he could just use the VWG.

he rode over 7 miles on his mtb yesterday at a pace of like 10mph. i'm so proud!

I rode 9.45 yesterday in 50 mins. I had a flat on my bike so I had to take the 7 speed comfort bike...she's not built for speed..

Rode 2.78 or so part way home in like 15 mins.

Taking a rest day today, since I've been riding my bike for like days straight