Karen's...

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Karen!! Thank you so much for the special note in my package, really made my day. You guys worked so hard on the challenge and I really appreciate it.

Hope your C25K training is going well and that your mom is making good progress.

Edited by iris777888

Wow, so it's been so long since I've posted here that I have now successfully overwhelmed myself by having so much to catch up on! The longer I've put off catching up on my journal because there was too much to say, the more and more and more and more behind I've gotten! I wanted to go back and fill in each workout, but I think I'll never get caught up if I wait to do it that way. So, how about if I just suffice it to say that the two weeks I spent traveling and working with Robert were some of the best workouts of my life! I learned lots of new things with weights, and my Couch-to-5K training was awesome as well! I worked up to my first 20-minute run last week, which gave me a real high. I'm now on 25-minute runs, but being back at high altitude has made it considerably harder. In fact, of all days to recommit myself to posting in my journal, today is the most disappointing day of fitness to report about. Although I was able to do a 26 minute run two days ago (albeit with a 30-second break midway), today I couldn't make it past 5 minutes. It's like my body just gave out on me and seemed incapable of it today. I was so disappointed. But, the good news is that the runs don't really increase much with each session anymore, so I won't really be off track with my training schedule. But, damn, that was disappointing today. I don't know what the problem was, but there just seemed to be a lot of things that were "off" for me today. My mind, my body, even the treadmill itself didn't work properly, so that I kept having to stop and restart, and finally had to switch machines. Ugh, what a disappointment. Especially since, like I said, I've been feeling pretty good and proud about my workouts recently. Oh well.

I am SOOOOOOO filled with gratitude and humility by all of you who have commented here and elsewhere that I have inspired you in some small way. What a turn of events that is! I've never inspired anyone in fitness before. Truly, it's everyone here on this forum that inspires and motivates me to be making fitness a priority in my life. It's still tough some days, but I'm a work in progress, and I'm getting there. So, thank you to all of you, and of course, especially to Robert.

So, I'll be posting here for a couple more days, and then it's CRUISE TIME! Weeeeeeeee!!!!! Holistic Holiday at Sea, here I come! Can't wait. No internet, no phones, no having to overhear other people talking on phones, warm ocean air, and back to training at sea level! (Of course, I'll have to return to high elevation to actually complete the 5K a week later, but oh well.) Anyway, I'M SO EXCITED!!

Last thing for tonight... It was so much fun assembling all the prize packages for the NYNY Challenge, and congratulations to all of you who completed it! I hope you enjoy all the goodies in your package, and many thanks to all of our sponsors who were oh-so-generous, particularly HealthForce Nutritionals!

sounds like your training is going good!! dont worry about how you did on tues too much, I am sure your next workout you will bounce back! Sometimes our bodies just get in a weird funk. I think a lot of times its something thats mentally overwhelming us and boggs your body down. where is the 5k you will be doing? Those are a great time and always such a mixed bag of people, you will have fun. have a blast on your holiday at sea. my sister just returned from a cruise last week, sooo much fun.

I'm really enjoying all the goodies in the prize package. the healthforce products are one of a kind for sure. I am addicted to the "earth" product. I have been doing all sorts of things with it.

Hey Diamond lady - Welcome back. Don't worry about the training - once you get back into it in your home environment and altitude i am sure you will find your previous form. Also enjoy your cruise, sounds like fun and you deserve the break with all the work you have been doing the past couple of weeks.

Anyway - Hwyl fawr am nawr! (i'll keep you guessing but i can tell you it is welsh)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

So, my recommitment to journaling didn't go very far, did it? Haha!

The cruise was fantastic, of course! I highly recommend it to any and all of you! http://www.atasteofhealth.org. They're thinking of possibly having a Mediteranean cruise next year, so that might appeal to a few more of you.

I RAN MY 5K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even though my training was pretty sporadic the last couple weeks of the Couch-to-5K program, I pulled out all the stops on race day and did it! Although my goal was to do it in 40 minutes (the last week of training consisted of 3.1 miles in 5 min. walking, 30 min. running, 5 min. walking), I ran the entire race, only stopping once to tie my shoe. It was crowded, of course, as there were 3000 runners, including lots of dogs and children. Lots of people (and dogs!) were dressed up for St. Patrick's Day, including green wigs and tutus! It was a lot of fun. I was very excited to find out my official time was 36:34! And my best gal pal ran the entire race with me, holding hands as we crossed the finish line, as an act of solidarity. Awwww, sweet, hey?

I'm feeling so inspired and encouraged to keep up with the running training. There is a Cinco de Mayo 5K coming up, so I'm hoping to do that one or another one soon! My goal is to shave off a few minutes on the next one. Excited!

Today I went to the gym and did the following, based on a workout I did with Robert last month:

Stairclimber: 20 minutes (pushed myself harder than usual)

Bodyweight squats:

Kettleball swings, 2 arms:

10x20

10x20

Kettleball swings, 1 arm:

10x20 each arm

10x20 each arm

Standing straightbar overhead press:

30x10

30x12

30x12

30x10

One-arm bentover dumbbell rows:

20x10 each arm

20x10 each arm

20x10 each arm

20x10 each arm

Stationary bike: 25 minutes, easy pace at level 7/8 (of 20)

Phew, I was exhausted! And I'm pretty sure I'm going to be sore tomorrow.

Here's a picture from yesterday's race, post-run:

Karen5K.jpg.5217a9d07619e5c4718c526b4560e967.jpg

Awesome recap, Karen!

Great work!

I'm so proud of you!

That looks like an outstanding workout in the gym today too. Good for you for getting right back in there after race day to hammer out a weight training workout. Looks like you're taking to Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness quite well.

Excellent thumbs up pic too. Love the braids!

-RC

wahoo Karen-WAY TO GO ON YOUR 5K JOURNEY!! I'm so proud of you girl-what an accomplishment and your time is excellent.....LOVE the pic too-all decked out in green and great t-shirt display of veganism and fitness!

I'm happy to hear that you've set your sight on yet another 5K......it's great to have a goal! (I too work best with goals in mind!) Cinco de Mayo run would be fun.....maybe Mexican food and margaritas to complete the festivities that day?!?! haha!

Take care and keep up the awesome work!

Thanks so very much, you guys! Your encouragement and praise means so, so much and helps motivate me to keep pushing. So, thank you. I feel very lucky to be part of this community.

Today I ran another 5K!!! Well, it was on the treadmill at the gym, but still! I should've pinned my race bib on my shirt to inspire me! Hahaha, can you imagine seeing that at the gym?!?! Anyway, my goal now is to improve my 5K speed, so what I'm thinking is to run 3.1 miles 2-3 times per week, increasing the speed by 0.1-0.2 mph each week. I'd love to be able to run my next race (May 5?) at a 10:00 mile (6 mph). My average pace on Saturday's race was 11:45 (5.1 mph), so that's what I did today on the treadmill. Then next week I'll bump it up to 5.2/5.3, and so on and so forth each week.

What do y'all think of that plan? Does that make sense? Or would something else be more effective? How many times a week should I plan to run?

I'm so excited! (And I just can't hide it! I'm about to lose control, and I think I like it!) But seriously, I feel like maybe my life has changed this week.... And if so, it all happened on my Gramma's 100th birthday...

Awww, you're so excited!

I love it!

Keep after it. I think your goal and your approach to attain your goal is well thought out and awesome!

All the best with your training.

Keep on smiling. You're looking fantastic! Seriously. I've heard that from a bunch of people recently, and you're hearing it from me too!

Karen- great idea to have a goal- go girl!

I think you have an effective plan in mind to increase your speed. Just a few thoughts/questions....

Do you plan to crosstrain? How about body weight/weight training 1-2 days pet week? From what I've read borh can help with speed and prevent injury. Do you stretch before and after?

I didn't exercise yesterday, and so even though I'm getting ready for a long trip and leaving very early tomorrow morning, I was determined to fit some exercise in today. So, I went to the gym this evening, thinking I would get a run in. I figured that since I was kinda short on time, and I also thought this would be a good thing to do anyway, I figured I'd run a shorter duration -- 20-25 minutes -- but at a faster speed. So, I set the treadmill to 6.0 mph. That's the speed I was able to run at several weeks ago when 20 minutes was part of my Couch-to-5K training. But, damn, I just couldn't keep at it tonight. I had to stop every several minutes for a 20-30 second break. And even at that, I backed the speed down to 5.5 mph. I SUCKED! I'm not sure which would have felt worse/better: A) skipping the gym today (which would probably make it 3 days in a row, since I'll be traveling all day tomorrow), but believing I could easily run a shorter duration at a faster speed, or B) going and sucking so badly. Oh well. My legs are aching and I'm just so very tired. I'm sure it was just a bad day. I'll be back at it soon.

To be honest (and to answer your question, Lisa), I'm looking forward to getting back in the gym and doing some weights. It felt really good the other day. I would like to make it part of my routine, 2-3 times/week. We'll see how things go.

So tired.... And still have packing to do.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

You'll bounce right back!

Looking forward to seeing you again soon. We'll get some weight training workouts in and it will be awesome!

You can also enjoy running at sea level for a bit this week too

Keep after it! You've made such great progress, so quickly! And you're having a lot of fun too, which is great.

RC

hang in there Karen! Some days are just like that, I bet there were still people in the gym that saw you running and thought to themselves "I wish I could run like her" even if you were not happy with the total workout overall as long as you gave it ALL you have on that particular day thats all that really matters, and you got there and did it which is sometimes the hardest part. yeah definitely get some lifting sessions worked into your routine, so much fun!

Yeah for you Karen for making it to the gym! That itself is awesome-don't beat yourself up too much over a workout and feelings that you/it "sucked"..... My motto is "some is better than none!"

Feel free to adopt my motto!!! ))

When I have a workout that I feel is sub-optimal, I determine the possible reasons as to why I performed and felt the way I did...... Was it physical factors such as sleep deprivation, hydration status, adequate nutrition, hormones, etc..... Are environmental factors involved? Emotional factors ie STRESS, neg feelings, fear.....After coming up with answers ( NO they are not excuses!), I look at what I can improve upon next time I step up for a workout!

Good for you on wanting to incorporate strength training into your plan!

Hope you enjoy your travel time..... Going for business or pleasure or BOTH?

Great time on your 5k! Well done!

And I hear you that it's frustrating the days when you put in the effort to go and then it feels like it's all wrong. I wholeheartedly agree with poster above that something is better than nothing. I sometimes go out and run just a mile, or lift for 10 minutes, and feel like people at the gym probably think I'm crazy, but to me it's important to just try and keep up the habit.

Heading back home tomorrow, but finally got in some decent exercise today. There's been a little here and there over the past couple weeks of traveling, but not nearly enough. Anyway, here was today's workout:

~5 minute jog to gym

Mountain climbers: 4 sets x 25

Arm Circles: 2 sets x 10 of 4 sizes, both arms

DB hammer curls:

12.5 lbs x 10 each arm

15 lbs x 12 each arm

20 lbs x 8 each arm

15 lbs x 12 each arm

DB concentration curls:

12.5 lbs x 10 each arm

15 lbs x 10 each arm

15 lbs x 10 each arm