Gaia's Cut

I am trying really hard lately. I've upped the cardio, and am fiddling around with my diet too to get to the 160 by the end of this week. My lowest weight was yesterday at 163.6.

Gaia is Greek for Mother Earth. It is not my birth name, but a name I associate with for some reason.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today was Leg day, which was hilarous, as my calves were so sore from that run up that hill from yesterday's run with the group. I took 2 Ibprofen to ease the swelling a bit, so I could work the quads and the hamstrings. It worked, and I did a pyramid set of ascending weight and descending weight, with reps till failure on each set. I got up to almost my PB's, but I didn't push it today as my legs are not fully recovered from that run.

But that is not all. I started out with a 30 minute 3mph treadmill walk, and then felt fine and did a light 38+ minutes (had to do the 5K island trail on the screen) at level 1. I also ended the day with a 3 mile trail walk at dusk again. My legs feel like tree trunks right now at night, but not really sore . . . yet. As long as I am not injured, I want to keep pushing the cardio (matching the muscles to what they can handle - like walking when they are tired, and hopefully a full 5 mile trail run in 2 days when the weather gets back up over at least 50 degrees so I can enjoy being outside). I have to figure out how to get the weight to start to drop again.

Mental games today with the scale:

Morning: 163.4 (lost .2lbs so far this week)

Went for a 5 mile trail jog: 162.0 (sweat lost)

went to the bathroom after weighing myself, and out of curiousity weighed again: 161.7!

As long as I saw it once on the scale, I am happy! (Might as well, as it usually goes the other way and I get frustrated. So I will celebrate with whatever I have to do to get it there - without actually cheating by hanging on the dresser or doorway to lighten the load!).

Partner came back into the gym today. She looked marvelous as usual, so she really did feel better. She pretty much did a little of everything to warm her body back up to weightlifting - so she doesn't aggravate the shoulder/neck injury again either. I am not going to push her with my workout ethic anymore. I am going to let her intuitively feel what she wants to do.

Sigh. I just seem to be a beast when it comes to building my body, and perhaps as a vegan I can do it faster and healthier. I do hurt myself, but I work around it and smartly apply the other bodyparts. Oh, I do not think I could sit still for awhile. It took all my control to tell myself to not do a bodypart because it wasn't done repairing itself yet (DOMS) during bulking.

I did Back today, and was happy when I did 165lbs for 6 reps on the Lat Pulldown - my bodyweight! I will have to try it next time to see if I can do a Chin-Up by myself (not using the Assisted Machine for help). Today's Back workout focused on quickly doing a warmup set, get to the heavy set of 6-8, and then do a couple of descending sets of 15, going very slow and feeling all the muscle fibers being recruited for the motion. Talk about a Pumped Up feeling. I definitely had the bodybuilder stance going on (back lat spread mostly - as you walk around between sets).

I did a 5 mile trail run this morning, with gusty winds at my face at times, and at 60 degrees. I am sad because it is back down to the 40's now and will stay here for the rest of the week (more gym time in the morning for cardio. . . sigh. Though I do sweat more when the speed is known and I try to keep that speed for the length of time required. love the outdoors more).

After 2 nights of spinning for an hour (on my own listening to my K-Pop blasting from the boombox), I have reached my goal: 160.4 today! And I have yet to go for my 2 hour bike ride!

Since Back day on Wed, I did Arms (Biceps and Triceps are now one workout session) on Thursday, and Chest on Friday. I was 161.2 yesterday morning, and I cut way back on my calories, and after the nights of spinning (and knowing today I would be bike riding) I just couldn't do Legs. I do not know if I will be able to do Legs today. Thinking of skipping to Delts today, and doing Legs tomorrow (switch the days up).

OK, 160 down, now onto 150 by the end of this month!

I am getting totally out of control with cardio.

Let's see, I did switched up and did Delts on Sunday, and Legs on Monday. And today I did my Back (after passing out for a 30 minute nap right before going to the gym). And I did heavy weights with 3 ascending and 3 descending sets for each exercise that I did for each bodypart. For the last descending set, I did it really slow and held a static peak contraction for as long as I could: feeling the muscle fibers being ALL engaged and then fatigued till they could hold the light weight no more. Physically draining on me. . . plus all the cardio - that I am loving to do - when I get going. For now, it is slow and steady. Trying to burn only the bodyfat and not glycogen stores.

On the day I did Delts, I did the bike ride for 2 hours and froze all the way! It was too cold for me (I feel like I am becoming the Ice Queen. I never seem to get really warm while exercising - now a hot shower for 30 minutes helped this time to unthaw me out after the bike ride).

Next day was Legs (was able to do the 990lbs on the Leg Press still! some guy was really impressed with me and laughed as I did a little dance after I got off the machine and realized I was still able to do it!), so I did a 2 mile trail walk in the morning and at dusk (didn't seem to hinder the legs with the walking - was not sore the next day).

Today with Back, I did 60 minutes on the Elliptical at level 2 only, keeping the heart rate average around 120 bpm. Now I am thinking of going back to the gym and do some spinning for an hour (low resistance), but I am still feeling shaky after dinner/meal#5. I am waiting for the food to supply energy to my body again. Incorporating sprouts into my diet to help in repairing the abuse I am doing to my body. It feels weird to just grab a handful of Crunchy Sprouts and chew them down, and think Yum! These tastes great (I can tell which ones have radish sprouts in them now - very spicy!). OK, I can feel the energy coming back into my body. Took about an hour and half. If I want to I could also have a sweet potato after the cardio as I popped 3 small ones in the oven tonight, just for fun. One small one with a protein shake before showering (cardio sucks in that I go thru alot of workout clothes in one day - I am still sweating alot during my cardio workouts, and all the fast showers I take during the day! Except the trail walk. . . those I do not sweat enough to warrant a shower and change of clothes).

Still 160.6 this morning (not bad, as the 1st I was 160.4, and had a celebrated cheat meal of lemon vegan cheesecake - but saw a raw mango cheesecake recipe/photo, so that is probably for next week's cheat meal!). Hopefully I can easily get the 2lbs for this week off of me with all this cardio. I have yet to see a 150 something on the scale (I feel like I might be getting into the addiction zone of losing weight - it is on my mind constantly, and every decision is based on that priority).

160.0 even this morning. Geesh, all this work for 0.6lbs loss? Guess so.

Little achy this morning: cold again outside. 40 degrees F. I think this morning is a non cardio time. Maybe this afternoon it will be warmer, and was thinking of doing HIIT by going to the track (2 blocks away from my house at the Elementary School where the high school has there soccer games) and sprinting around, and around, and around, in a circle (sprint on the straight away, and then recover on the the end curves).

Only have to do Arms today in the gym.

That is true! and maybe tomorrow, I will get to see the elusive 159! though I am taking a day off today. Feeling pretty run down. I might still get the energy tonight to go and do Arms at the gym.

It has happened! 159.6 (what's up with this .6 on my scale?) this morning!!

Off to do some gym cardio, as the weather is once again below freezing this morning - but very sunny out! At least all the spring flowers will stay around for all of this week! Even the dogwood's blooms are staying on: a good hot day and a slight breeze will make it look like confetti raining down on my front lawn!

Didn't do Arms yesterday, so that is on the agenda for today. (Took a Dead Sea salt bath instead. Very nice and relaxing - even though I couldn't fully stretch out in my tiny little bathtub/shower combo. I think my quads are feeling a little less sore than usual - though I shall see after my cardio this morning on the elliptical).

After a day off, it was energizing to do a 10K (68 minutes) on the elliptical this morning (level 4) - heartbeat at 135 (so LIT as jungleinthefrunk would say). Arms did a heavy weight set, and some repetitive 12 -15 range sets to get a burn going after the heavy set was done. I did the main exercises first to blast the arms and then the secondary ones: barbell bicep curls and tricep pressdowns first; followed by hammer curls and overhead tricep extensions; then cable single bicep curls at the same time on the Star Trac Tower and Bench dips.

Dinner tonight was a weird combination. My salad mix had gone passed its expiration date (1/2 bag found in the vegetable bin), so I found pieces of slimy-fied lettuce, and threw it in the composter. So I did my usual seiten sausage flashed heated in a pan, and instead of making a salad with 1/2 bag of fancy romaine lettuce salad mix, I had it with 1/2 bag of flash cooked broccoli (pour veggie broth in the pan after taking out the sausages, and as it bubbles away quickly add the broccoli, put on a top, and then turn off the heat) and added the leftover 1/2 box of Crunchy Sprouts from lunchtime. I mixed it up, with no salad vinagerette, and ate it. And I found it really filling. Now with all this satiety I am feeling, what cardio shall I do tonight? It might be too cold to go for a trail walk, so I guess back to the gym for some spinning. . . . -which by the way is getting boring. . . .

Overall, I want over 100 grams of protein (usually Vega Performance Protein Powder (VP), tofu, and seiten - though I have cut back on the tofu and seiten). Carbs and fats are what I am playing with.

I am playing with the edge this week. I wake up to the hungry feeling in the morning. I have a smoothie (fruit and VP) or like today a pear and VP. I feel the energy spread thru my body, and the hunger goes away. Then I do morning cardio accordingly to what the plan for the workout for what bodypart it is for the day.

After that, I am hungry again, and it is a meal of protein and carbs and some fats (stirfry with tofu and veggies). Then an hour before the gym workout, I will be once again hungry, and will do a VP and this week it has been a yam (as my carb to get me thru the workout).

Pre-Workout (Vega) at the gym, workout, then Vega's Accelerator Recovery at the end (I sometimes take it early because I feel really weak and shaky).

Then it is another meal of protein and fat (seiten sausage), and carbs (in the form of salad lately) about an hour after I get home.

If I feel like I want to do some night time cardio, and I feel hungry (but some days I am not hungry- then I go without), then an apple will usually get me thru an hour of spinning. And then I end it all with a VP at night (an hour before bed).

It is because I am on a cardio kick lately. But still not pushing myself if I am tired or sore. Helped me get to 160 for that last week. See what it will do for this week: see if 2lbs is gone by Sunday.