Karen's...

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yesterday I did 5K on the treadmill, followed by 20 minutes on the stationary bike. My run wasn't awesome, but considering that I hadn't really run much the past couple weeks, I felt pretty good about it. I ran most of it, with a couple short breaks (I stopped the clock for those) and several minutes of walking. Overall, it was 38:27. Again, not amazing, but I felt good about it nonetheless. I'm also learning that I like running outside more than I thought. Running on the treadmill is starting to bore me, but the main thing is that I overheat. Running outside helps keep me cooler and able to sustain longer, I think. A couple of times I've ran on treadmills that had a built-in fan or had a fan closeby, and that helped a lot. But at my gym, there are no fans.

Yesterday's food was oatmeal with chia and blueberries, a couple of Odwalla bars, bean and spinach burritos, and popcorn with peach habanero hot sauce. (Mmmmm!) Should've had more fruits/veggies. Was dealing with a headache the past couple of days, though, so I was probably choosing more comfort foods.

Back at it today!

My internet was down yesterday, so I didn't get to post. But, anyhow, yesterday I ran 5K outside from home and back. It's all dirt road with some long stretches of incline (and decline, too, of course!). My time was a shade under 39:00, which seems depressingly slow. Especially since I never stopped running at all and felt like I was consistently going faster than when I did this same run once before (just before the St. Patty's Day race). Oh well, it still felt great to complete, and I was happy to do it. I'll keep working to improve.

Yesterday was the first time I listened only to relaxing, soft music during the entire run. Usually, I listen to "harder" music to keep me energized. But, yesterday I found the music helped keep me relaxed, and I could hear my breathing and footsteps on the ground. Interesting difference.

Breakfast: Vega WFHO shake

Lunch: Tofu scramble with potatoes and tempeh at my favorite veg-friendly restaurant in town

Post-run: Orange and Banana

Dinner: Field Roast Italian sausage wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla, and side salad

Snack: Vega Shake & Go Smoothie

awesome job on the 5k run. dont worry about the time at all, its awesome that you felt good and relaxed. I have had many runs where I thought I was really flying and then my time was slower but I felt great. I choose to remember the "felt great" part....plus if you felt good then there is more of a chance you will do it again. and more than likely improve.

the tofu scramble with tempeh sounds sooo good. I wish we had more veg friendly restaurants in our area but everything i consider good is at least 30 min away.

have a good week!

I was somewhat short on time today, so my workout wasn't thoroughly thought-out. Anyway, here's what I did:

20 minutes on the stairclimber at 60 steps/minute. Last 2 minutes bumped up to 75 steps/min.

50 crunches forward

50 crunches left

50 crunches right

25 crunches forward

25 crunches left

25 crunches right

Plank 1:20

Plank 1:30

Plank: 1:02

That's it! Very busy day today, so I'm glad I made sure to get some exercise in.

Breakfast: Green smoothie with Vega WFHO

Lunch: Daiya quesadilla and an orange

Post-workout: Vega Acai energy bar

Snack: Banana

Dinner: Chana Masala, rice, and spinach

Thanks, guys!

Yeah, I know it might seem weird, but the more gentler music was really a great change of pace, and at least that particular day, was just what I needed!

I was out of town for a couple of days this week, and wasn't able to get in any fitness. But, yesterday I did a 3 mile run/walk with a friend. My diet pretty much went out the window yesterday, though, so I'll try to stay more focused today.

Have a great weekend, everyone!!!

• 3 weeks later...

When we've trained together, Karen has out-plank'd me. And I'm getting better at it

Karen, have an awesome week! Hope you're settling in well and things slow down for you and you get to ease into a routine again.

Texas-sized hugs from the Lone Star State!

-Ahhhhhh C

Here you go, Karen! They're really delicious and gooey, I had my first one yesterday

Ingredients:

4 oz. unsweetened dark chocolate, chopped

½ cup raspberry fruit spread

½ cup sugar or other dry sweetener (see note)

½ cup unsweetened applesauce

2 tsp. pure vanilla extract

½ tsp. almond extract

1½ cups whole wheat pastry flour

¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder

¼ tsp. baking powder

½ tsp. baking soda

¼ tsp. salt

1 cup frozen raspberries

Directions:

1.Preheat oven to 350F; line an 8" pan with parchment paper; lightly mist with non-stick cooking spray.

2.Melt chocolate in double boiler or microwave; set aside.

3.In large mixing bowl, vigorously mix together jam, sweetener, and applesauce; stir in extracts and melted chocolate.

4.Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt, then combine with wet ingredients; mix very well until a stiff dough forms, then fold in raspberries.

5.Spread mixture into prepared pan. Note: It will be very thick; use your hands to evenly spread.

6. Bake 16-18 minutes. Note: They should still be soft and gooey; be careful not to over bake (if tester toothpick comes out clean, they’re over baked).

7.Remove from oven and let cool completely before slicing into 16 pieces. Hint: These taste especially good and fudgy after being refrigerated for a few hours.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Serving Size 1 brownie - Makes 16 servings

Calories 138

Total Fat 4g

Saturated Fat 2g

Trans Fat 0g

Cholesterol 0mg

Sodium 92mg

Total Carbohydrate 25g

Dietary Fiber 3g

Sugars 13g

Protein 3g

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vitamin A 0%

Vitamin C 0%

Calcium 3%

Iron 11%

Nice running, FWIW I always like to run with mellow music. I run to relax so I like my music to enhance that experience.

Keep up the great work and hope you have a great weekend. Sorry I never came across your journal up until now, I'll try and check in when I can. Feel free to give me a yell on anything to do with running, I'm a marathoner, ultramarathoner and everything else in between hehe.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Oh wow! Thanks so much, Sam! I saw it on their Facebook page, but not their newsletter. Wow, I feel like a mini celebrity! Haha, just kidding. Yeah, I'm totally bowled over that I won that contest. Still can hardly believe it! Thanks for your support!

• 3 weeks later...

I am proud of all of your running success! Your consistency and improvements are inspiring! From running short distances to over 10 miles at a time, that is quite the awesome transformation.

Congratulations on all of your running progress! Looking forward to running with you again soon.