Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: IronSmith's Vegan Diet & Exercise Log to Defeat Cancer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:18 pm 
Rabbit

Tomorrow I'm having a full body bone scan and Friday a contrast CT scan. I hate all of this exposure to more and more radiation. But what can I do out side refusing treatment? I may never take chemo but other than that I have accepted conventional medicine with the addition alternative medicine and nutrition approach. We will see.

Held Drug Free Powerlifting State, National, & World Records in the Federations NASA, AAPF, ADFPA, & Amateur IPA.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:39 am 
Manatee

IronSmith wrote:
Lots of fresh green vegs and leafy greens too. I usually make my green smoothies with any leafy green I may have on hand, apples, green power, sprout protein, and some ginger. Also lots of tomatoes, carrots, onions, beets, eggplant, garlic, etc. in stir fries. Loads of asparagus often in my green smoothies !Lots of soy, mostly tofu, soy milk, tempeh. Loads of fresh fruit. Nuts, especially walnuts. Brown rice, beans, grains, etc. Nothing white (that is white rice, potatoes, bread) except for cauliflower. Yams. There really is not a veg that I don't use one time or another. I try to get as many vegs with as varied colors as possible. I stay away from fruit juices to avoid too much sugar. 6-8 glasses of un-sweeten green tea with lemon daily. No soda pop. I'm always looking for used vegan cookbooks at used bookstores to get ideas to keep variety in my diet. I have tried to eat lots of my vegs and fruit raw, at least 50% trying to at time reach 80% but most of the time I don't make it. I'm going to try move that percentage up more. I buy as much as my produce organic as possible. I'm starting my own garden so I have more control of the quality produce I can.

It sounds like you are eating pretty good.

I really like the green smoothies you are doing. They are good for anyone but especially important for someone battling cancer. They give you a very high concentration of phytonutrients to help fight the cancer.

And glad you are eating the leafy vegetables so much. All vegetables are important of course but the cruciferous vegetables have been found to be the most important in fighting cancer.

I see you are eating onions which is good, it was recently discovered that they help fight cancer too. What about mushrooms, do you eat them? Mushrooms were found to help cancer as well recently.

I think you mentioned once your sugar levels were high. Not sure if that continues to be a problem, but regardless do you eat wild(black) rice? Brown rice is good, but wild rice has almost half the glycemic load as brown rice.

I garden as well and like you I love it. It is a great release and very relaxing and I would recommend it to everyone. There is just something about planting something as a seed and watching it grow and eventually reaping the benefits of your work. It teaches that work pays off in the end if you are patient. I think more children should be exposed to gardening.

Keep up your fight!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:43 am 
Manatee

Oh yeah, the lemon juice is great as well. Lemons are the most phytonutrient rich fruit.

Do you ever do any juicing with vegetables? This is a way to get even a more concentrated form of phytonutrients than the smoothies.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:28 pm 
Rabbit

I both juice and blend . I like to have the whole plant(s) but also appreciate the benefits of juicing. Yes I eat lots of mushrooms, domestic and imported from Japan. My pre-diabetes is well controlled by my diet and should improve even more as my exercise program progresses. I also occasionally eat wild rice. Thanks for the suggestions. I am always surfing the web looking for nutritional approaches to fighting cancer. Also have purchased several books on the subject and have a few more on my wish list that I send for as time goes on. I do believe knowledge is power and I'm doing my best to empower myself!

Held Drug Free Powerlifting State, National, & World Records in the Federations NASA, AAPF, ADFPA, & Amateur IPA.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:57 pm 
Manatee

Have you ever heard of the Gerson Institute?

I do not agree with the everything they advocate, such as the coffee enemas.

But they are very high on juicing and even suggest 13 specific juices you should use.(i don't know what those 13 are). They also claim the type of juicer you use is important.

I do not know anymore about their therapy than what is on their website and can't vouch for it's effectiveness. But most of their suggestions sound reasonable.

Here is a link to their site http://gerson.org/gerpress/

EDIT-----upon further research apparently Gerson does not recommend eating mushrooms, berries or flax seed, which I would disagree with. I think their recommendations have not changed with the new research.

So my main focus on mentioning Gerson is the juicing program really.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:03 pm 
Rabbit

I'm familiar with the Gerson approach. Lot to be said for it and modern science has supported a lot of his ideas but not all. Pick and choose based on latest science is the ticket.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:37 pm 
Rabbit

So the beat goes on. I had my total bone scan yesterday and a contrast CT scan this morning. I was suppose to see my Urologist on Monday but his office called this afternoon to say my Doctor wants a third test, another type of CT scan. So my Monday appointment has been rescheduled to Thursday morning. The people who do the testing are support to be faxed the new orders this afternoon. I hate all this testing. I'm being exposed to more and more radiation, radioactive isotopes, etc.. This can contribute to the risk of more cancer in and of it's self. It's hell if I do and hell if I don't. As I'm sitting here at my computer, I can still taste the effects of the contrast I.M I received this morning. The technician told me to drink lots of water to help flush it out of my system ASAP. What fun! But I must remain positive and keep my hope alive!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:20 am 
Rabbit

I go in at 4:00 PM today to have another CAT scan of my cheats area. So that makes a total of two last week and the one today. The Doctor is looking at me inside out. Oh, well. I'm glad he being thorough. I have been drinking my green smoothies, taking my supplements, and exercising. And I have a new relaxation CD that I have been using this weekend to help reduce my stress!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:43 am 
Rabbit

I had my contrast CT scan of my chest yesterday. I have felt very tired and my stomach has been somewhat upset. The dye that injected into my arm yesterday and also last week has been a very physically upsetting effect on me. The old saying that the cure is worse than the illness comes to mind. I know my Urologist needs to be able to get a good "picture" of what my prostate, bones, and entire body looks like to be able best diagnosis why my PSA keeps raising. Has my prostate cancer flared up again or is it due to other causes? I will find out Thursday morning. Mean while I'm doing my best to flush out my system with filtered water, green smoothies, and a reduced volume diet of organic vegetables and a little fruit. No breads, pastas, grains, nuts, or fermented foods like tempeh. I just don't want anything too heavy or difficult to digest right now. I'm planning on going for at least a short walk later this afternoon when it warms up a little. Otherwise I'm just going to rest and do my relaxation exercises to reduce my stress. Thursday just can't come quick enough!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:02 pm 
Rabbit

Very inspirational story IronSmith, you've been through quite a lot and hearing about your postive attitude is great, I wish you the best with everything.

Sorry to hear you're going through all those tests... quite a lot, but as you said the Doc really wants to get a good picture of whats going on. hope things turn out well.

Enjoy the relaxation!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:13 pm 
Rabbit

Nice to get encouragement from the other side of the world down under! Thanks a lot buddy! I mean that!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:42 am 
Rabbit

I'm feeling a lot better today. More energy, lighter, and stomach has stetted down. I'm still stressed about the results of all the testing I've had the past week.Tomorrow is my Doctors appointment at 8:30 AM. Can't come soon enough! Meanwhile I have to keep moving forward. I'm going to the farm and fleet store this afternoon to pick up some peat moss, sand, and fish fertilizer for my garden. No matter what happens tomorrow, good fresh organically grown vegetables are part of my health plan. Got to just keep going.

Afterward I'm going down to a friends gym to have a bench workout with her and her partner. They want to pick my brain and help them get ready for the upcoming NASA USA Nationals this June here in Springfield Ohio. They were both in the meet I referred just several days ago. I saw some lifting flaws that will be early corrected and will put on some pounds to increase their lifts. It will be fun to help out!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:40 pm 
Manatee

Have you ever been to any NASA meets in North Carolina?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:17 pm 
Rabbit

No I haven't but a good friend of mine by the name of Kirt Hall who used to live in the Ohio area is down that way. I think he has compete there. Love to get down that way some day. Do you compete in their meets?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:29 am 
Manatee

Yes, I have in the past, several years ago back around 2002-03 range. Your avatar picture just kind of looked familiar so I thought maybe I had seen you at one of the NASA events.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next