Dylan Kasprzyk's Brooklyn Training Journal

C.O.

Super slacker 3000 post for 4/2

Learned today that there is a difference between baba ganoush and baba ganoug. Dairy free and $3 including tons of veggies I think I may have found a new neighborhood spot OMG pizza. Yeah its actually named that.

Soccer is starting back up for me so I have added 1 team practice per week plus a couple cardio days to my weekly workouts. Hopefully this will help me feel a little less like a 90 yr old man on a respirator during our first game.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice dude! Glad to hear you might be playing soccer soon.

I just moved into a sweet place in Austin, TX with a large basketball court with 6 hoops so I went out a bought a ball today. Perhaps I'll pick up my old love for basketball again and play in some pick-up games.

Have fun training dude!

Hope all is well. Oh, almost forgot to tell you. I'll be in NYC in 3 weeks! Holla!

• 2 weeks later...

Been slacking on this. But here goes. I took one for the team and traded trying some horribly unhealthy food in exchange for getting a special lady to eat at a vegetarian restaurant with me. Worth it I think because then she we excited about a vegetarian popup fest a few days later.

Been in the gym more regularly, krump beats, vega in my water bottle.

Getting into challenging myself with endurance style planks. I want abs showing for summer weather that already feels like its here.

Excited Robert is heading my way this week. @IamNickJackson (follow him on twitter if you live in NY) and I will hopefully be showing Robert some vegan eats he hasn't tried yet.

-Dylan

I had an excellent time at Green Festival in NYC with Robert and @IamNickJackson watching Russell Simmons and others speak and getting my free samples on in a BIG way.

Also @IamNickJackson put me on to a new to me, way to train. Made popular by MMA fighters its basically training on one leg or with weight only in one hand so you have to balance it makes my regular routine a million times harder intense stuff.

Soccer game tonight so I'm not hitting the gym today.

Steady diet of 15 ingredient salads, daiya quesadillas, and vega plus fruit and almond milk smoothies.

I had some crazy muscle spasm in my back this morning that lasted almost 2 whole hours. Anyone know much about muscle spasms? I've never had one before that lasted longer than like 5 minutes.

Just made sweet potato cheese fries with broccoli and Daiya cheese. Tastes so fatty and good, and its vegan.

Today's workout menu includes Squats, planks, and sprints.

I need a water bottle. Maybe Vegan Proteins can hook me up. I tend to lose them about 1 ever 3 or 4 soccer games/ practices though so a cheap promo kind will be best. I'm not afraid of the plastic type because I don't manage to hang on to them long enough for the use to wear the plastic enough to cause me any harm I'm pretty sure. Plus I'm pretty sure all these bottles I am losing are getting picked up and used by random people, so its better than recycling even, its like donating.

I need to find a place locally to buy hemp seed....Portland was so cheaper and had so many more good food options. I will survive though. Happy May Day to anyone who reads this today!

-Dylan

haha about the water bottle!

Just created an NBA Playoffs thread in the "other sports" or fitness section, whatever it's called.

Big games today, though still very early of course.

I have many water bottles, but I know Vegan Proteins has more. They can probably give you tips on hemp seed too.

Holla at your boy @VeganProteins

I was just re-reading through this journal. Robert you've never had nutella??? Its amazingly good chocolate-hazel nut spread. Actually its been in the news recently some idiot lady is sued them for advertising their product as a healthy breakfast, and she won! And besides winning like 3 mil everyone who has bought nutella prior to january 2012 and has a receipt for it gets $4 per jar up to 40 bucks I think. Crazy world. You should definitely try the vegan option. I still haven't but I'll post about it when I do.

Craving oysters today. Anyone have a vegan alternative or possibly a vegan dish that satisfies an oyster craving if there is no veggie-oyster substitute?

I've made vegan clam chowder from shiitakes... maybe take shiitakes and make a garlicy melted earth balance sauce to dip them in after steaming them with a little salt? If you want the fishiness... some kombu (or other seaweed) might do the trick while steaming.

Yes! try it and let me know how it goes and how you made it please! I have vegan caviar the other day made out of seaweed. It was amazing. It looked and tasted like the real thing. Slightly different in taste but still very good. I was on an appetizer, a piece of bread with truffle oil and avocado. Yum thinking about it makes me want it again.

Today's a rest day aka soccer game night. I would normally do push ups and planks at least but our hot water heater broke and we havent had hot water for 3 days.... so I am not wanting to get sweaty unless Im going to shower at the gym or at my gf's place.

Caught a slight cold. I thought it was allergies but I don't think so. Dang I never get sick. I think the germs in NYC are more hardcore than on the west coast. I need to remember to wash my hands every time after I take the subway. Maybe I should start carrying hand sanitizer too.

Tomorrow will be an arms, shoulders and back day at the gym for sure though.

Been eating some good salads. They have been more like stir-fry's actually because I have been lightly cooking like half of the ingredients. Brussel sprouts have made their way into the line-up. I am still on a beets craze. I need to find a place that sells bulk hemp seeds though, that's what I've been missing/craving lately.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay I haven't been keeping up with this lately because I havent been working out regularly....frustrating, I started a new part time job and its been physically draining me. Anyone have any tips on how to motivate yourself to workout before, after or on days off when working a physically demanding job?

Good advice, and I agree, I usually like to start my dad with a workout if possible. Looking forward to it tomorrow when I don't need to be into work until noon.

In other Dylan Journal news my soccer team Messi Sheets finished the regular season in 4th of 11 teams and we start the play offs this week. We are going the distance.

Typo *Day not dad. I usually like to start with my dad with insults on how he is old and fat....

Back to the gym today for the first time in 12 days...ruh roh. Took it easy and it felt good. A tiny bit of cardio on the tread, followed by a half-hour of arms and back.

Soccer playoffs start tomorrow, and we're ready!

haha!

Nice way to start your dad.

And also nice soccer team name. haha!

PS my sister says hi. She says she's seen you on facebook and digs the beard. I talked to her the other day. Might visit her in Indiana on my way to NY when I set out on my drive this weekend.

See you in a few weeks. Will keep you updated on my slow moving travels.

Big NBA game tonight!

I will get at your sister on FB and say hi. Where in Indiana does she live? I have been wanting to to visit Bloomington.

Today in Dylan's fitness journal a workout from home with the help of Robert's 5 min workout from anywhere demonstrated on the home page of VBBF.

Nice, dude!

Yeah, she's in Bloomington and I think I'll go visit her on my way to NYC. I'm in Louisiana today. I love driving around freely from place to place, staying in little motels along the way. Staying in a northern LA town tonight and just watched the B-ball game at a Sushi bar eating avocado rolls and hanging out with the staff.

Good times.

Right now all 4 of us are in 4 dif states. Ryan in Oregon, Clarke in Colorado, Tanya in Indiana and me living in Texas. Pretty spread out these days, but Tanya is heading back to PDX in a few weeks I believe.

Glad you're doing some total body workout stuff. Have fun!

She's moving back to Portland in a few weeks. I'm driving up to see her on Monday.

Just had a grad school program in Indiana, but home is still in Portland for her.

Have a great one dude. I know you're staying busy.

Don't forget to hit me up, I want to hang and I also want to snag some things from yeah. Nick is trying to work for Giac if he still needs someone to work that event. Or if you know of others, (Daiya girls maybe ) that would be in need of some help at the fest.

Yesterday I worked out at the gym the same day as a physical day at work for the first time. I had been avoiding doing that. I actually think I felt better. The work day didnt seem as long. I did take it easy in the gym, only about 25 mins. I have a new outlook on it now.

Not sure how many of you are reading each others journals, or specifically mine, because of some much rambling that I do. I am looking for some new back training exorcises, the ones I have been doing are boring me but I need to keep the back in shape.

Working out with @iamnickjackson (follow him on twitter) again tonight. Our last workout got in some inverted bench presses for the first time for me. I like them, they really seemed to target lower chest muscles I don't normally work that much. We'll see what is in store for tonight. Maybe a leg workout. I hear Mr. Cheeke is in the big apple, maybe he'll have time to join us?