Newbie! Hello all!

jesfish

Hi,

I found this site by accident so thought I'd join so I can chat to likeminded people. I live in a big farming area so being a vegan doesn't fit very well!

I've been a vegetarian for 28 years and a proper/strict vegan for a year, although I gave a up most products including wearing leather over 15 years ago.

I'm a model and I also run a small animal rescue centre. (The centre is small, not the animals!). I'm not a body builder but I try to keep fit by running, boxing and horse riding.

It's absolutely lovely to see so many healthy people on here with compassion for animals!

Best wishes to all! x

Hi and welcome.

I imagine it would be harder being vegan in a farming community... I feel like a loner myself and I live in a big city. I used to say that not one of my friends or coworkers is even vegetarian, but one of my coworkers told me that after our xmas party he decided to make the switch after talking to me. I now wonder what the heck I said since I don't consider myself very influential. haha.

Great work doing the rescue. You mention the animals are not small.. so I'm assuming they are farm animals? I used to foster for small dog and cat rescues for a few years. I have a dog and cat of my own now, so stopped doing that.

Thanks guys!

My father was a farm manager but even he's now a vegetarian!

The animals I rescue range from guinea pigs to horses and several species inbetween!

Quite a few people have become vegetarian or vegan due to my influence but it's not because I preach. Usually people ask me about it, which is great! I get a lot of negativity too but I generally have an answer to anything that's thrown at me! Haha!

I'm in the UK (East). It's hard work but I have always had unwanted animals dumped on me, even when I was a young child abroad my parents used to take in stray or needy animals! I'm going to start fundraising now though as my current job can't support them long term.

• 4 months later...