Anybody here gained muscle mass without Protein supplements?

I've been busy so didn't have the time to post here lately.

I am training regularly though. I've been testing this for some time.

I am a total health freak so I don't really like using any supplements. I eat mostly whole foods, Veggies, Fruits, nuts, seeds and some tofu.

I've gained some muscle mass and some fat with it. My goal is to gain some more and burn the little stomach fat I have left. I've been raising the weight I lift all the time, and eating more. I don't really count Calories everyday now, I mostly go by an instinct. It seems like I am stuck at some level now, where my muscle mass is just the same and I can't seem to finally expose a six pack. I am starting to think it is really hard without using at least some Protein powder to give me more protein without the extra carbs.

I have put on a lot of muscle over the years without any use of supplements. These days I do use them in order to save some money (I get some for free with my work) and because I like certain ones, but I've gone through periods of time (months or years) without using any supplements.

I primarily ate the following foods:

Tofu

Beans

Rice

Oats

Nut butters

Potatoes

Fruit

That's about it. I just ate large quantities of those heavy foods such as beans, rice and potatoes. They seemed to really help put on muscle.

Here is an article I wrote about it, which you might find helpful:

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/?page=article_information_3

And this one which lists foods:

viewtopic.php?f=74&t=27048

All the best!

-Robert

I haven't used protein powder in years, and don't intend to go back to it. Building lean muscle takes time. Even world class IFBB pro's using steroids take more than a decade of training to get to the mr. Olympia stage, Dorian Yates and Jay Cutler both come to mind. They were both big dudes active in bodybuilding that spent more than a decade training before they won.

I know not everyone agrees with the 80-10-10 diet, but I've had pretty good success with a high carb (900+g's), low fat (50-60 g's) and moderate protein (less than 100 g's) per day.

I haven't used protein powder in years, and don't intend to go back to it. Building lean muscle takes time. Even world class IFBB pro's using steroids take more than a decade of training to get to the mr. Olympia stage, Dorian Yates and Jay Cutler both come to mind. They were both big dudes active in bodybuilding that spent more than a decade training before they won.

I know not everyone agrees with the 80-10-10 diet, but I've had pretty good success with a high carb (900+g's), low fat (50-60 g's) and moderate protein (less than 100 g's) per day.

I actually tried many combinations including 80-10-10. I can say it didn't really help me build muscles or totally expose abs.

It's only when I raised the amount of nuts and seeds I eat, and started to eat some Tofu. I was able to build at least some Muscles mass.

Also too much Fruits and crazy amounts of fiber from raw veggies just wasn't so friendly for my stomach.

I really don't understand how Frutarists do it.

I am really not into body building, I am mostly doing endurance stuff. But I've been trying to build some muscle mass for the last 8 months. It shouldn't take me years to build that small amounts of muscles and expose six pack.

• 10 years later...

Sports nutrition supplements can be divided into two categories: performance-enhancing supplements and recovery-supporting supplements. Performance supplements are designed to provide short term benefits such as increased strength, speed and endurance, many supplements are available from Supplements 4 Muscle. They are also often associated with anabolic steroids and other prescription drugs for performance enhancement. Recovery supplements are designed to improve the body's ability to recover from workouts and maximize muscle growth. They may also contain ingredients that support overall health and wellness.