Hello I'm a newbie

cedre

Hi, I'm another Canadian...and yes I'm another newbie!

I'm very new to this forum, and am trying to figure out what's what. I started my journal last night, kinda on a whim. I saw Robert's tweet about all the prizes, and thought they sounded good, and really I wanted to win some for a friend of mine who is a triathlete but not a vegan. But I'm here to introduce me, so here it goes

I'm a vegan, and I've been one for almost 4 years...so I'm here more for motivational support for getting into shape!

I used to be quite active. I used to run, and cycle, and swim..well only if I really had to I had aspirations of one day completing a triathlon! But I had an accident 6 years ago..I was on a scooter, and the other guy was in a car. The car won!

The short story is that I have injured knees, damaged neck and shoulders, I get bad headaches and migraines...and the result is a lot of messy details that I will not bore you with. I don't usually make resolutions..but this feeling sorry for myself has to stop, and it's stopping now! I'm starting with a fresh start...starting slow, taking it easy...one step at a time. But I need to start somewhere. I do need motivation. I need help keeping my goal of keeping active. I've been here many times, saying that I will work out, will hop on that stationary bike half an hour a day...but after 4 or 5 days I run out of steam. Sometimes I even make it to a few weeks...but I want to make it through to a year.

So please let me know how and where I can, or if I can get that help here, on this forum. In exchange, I am willing to help someone go vegan. I will help as much as I can with information, moral support, encouragement, what to do at non-vegan social settings, and cheer you on! I am willing to admit if I don't know something about nutrition, so I won't give you bad advice, but I will know where to look for that information, and I have many vegan friends that I can ask for help too.

So...anyone want to help me be fitter this year, and let me help you be veganer?

Hi Cedre! Welcome to the forum! Like you, I am also new to the forum, but not the vegan lifestyle. I'm also here for motivation and information. The great thing is that you can view everyone else's journals, so it's easy to see what other people are doing and how. It's just a matter of looking around at all the topics! And there are TONS of them! Also, comment on other people's posts, and maybe they'll comment back!

Thanks for sharing your story, and I'm glad you're here. I also tend to "run out of steam" quickly, as you put it, so I can relate well. But, I know that keeping my journal here will help me stay more accountable and consistent.

Happy New Year!

• 3 months later...

So Cedre, I'll check out your journal in a second and see how things are going but how are things going in a non- here is my daily workout sort of way. Have you been keeping motivated? Have you been making any improvements? By improvements I really mean are you feeling better? Healthier? Outlook changing? Sounded like you were ready to make some things happen in your first post. I hope that's the case. Please share more with the group. Glad to have you with us here in this online land.

-Dylan

What province/territory in Canada are you in?

Sorry to hear about your injuries. That can be discouraging. But good for you for pushing forward - Sometimes you gotta make the best with what you got & focus on working toward something better.

Remember to set realistic goals for yourself.. slow steady progress is best.

Personally I would give up after a week too if I only did stationery bike - I need a bit more variety to keep me interested. If you are concerned that you will give up again after a few weeks, you might want to sign up for a class or something. That could be a different type of motivation than you've given yourself in the past.. ie. financial commitment and social outing. Depending on your physical limitations, some instructors will give you modified exercises etc. so at least ask before you cross things off your list of possibilities.

Welcome. And like Kareno says.. Happy New Year.

I'm actually on the second year of my New Year's resolution to get fit... I've had a setback with a shoulder injury, but am doing my physio exercises and lower body workouts still.