Vegan-Diet *

Wamrage

Hello all.Well to cut the long story short, i have switched to a vegeterian diet in april 2011 and then to a vegan diet in june.Only a few weeks ago i started to a completely gluten free diet.Still having detox symptoms from it,that thing is like the worst drug!!!The symptoms were insane for a few days,i thought my organs were failing.The problem now is that i have a VERY hard time gaining weight and not only that.Most of my weight ends up in my belly.I'm a 100% ectomorph(skinny as hell ) 6'2'' at around 143-146 pounds! My goal is to have a lean belly with 150-152 pounds.Before a vegeterian diet i ate normal animal protein and had abs when i was at my highest weight which was 176! My arms are my biggest problem, i will look to buy some weights and start lifting at home.Since i'm from Europe we don't have much plant proteins and the ones that exist are way too expensive.Hemp protein for example.I would buy myofusion but that protein isn't very veganish so that would be like cheating .

Hey nice another me out there haha im 6'2'' about 157 lbs. working on getting bigger though. I lost a bit last year, I think due to stress mostly. The thing I would say about vegan protein being expensive, its true. I live in NY where everything is expensive and vegan protein is definitely not an exception. However I came to a conclusion that lead me to a decision a few months back. Good quality food needs to be a priority. We have nothing if we don't have our health. I used to think hemp seeds 12 dollars a lb no way, and then buy a 6-pack of beer for $10. I still drink don't get me wrong. But when I'm low on cash I know where my priorities are at. I spend way too much on things I don't need and pass up on things that I should have for my health because it seems expensive. Waying out how important it is for me to be fit and also how much medical bills cost if I get ill; I've decided for me its worth to fork out the cash for things like hemp seed, vega protein powder, chia seeds, etc.

That's my two cents,

Cheers,

Dylan

Hey nice another me out there haha im 6'2'' about 157 lbs. working on getting bigger though. I lost a bit last year, I think due to stress mostly. The thing I would say about vegan protein being expensive, its true. I live in NY where everything is expensive and vegan protein is definitely not an exception. However I came to a conclusion that lead me to a decision a few months back. Good quality food needs to be a priority. We have nothing if we don't have our health. I used to think hemp seeds 12 dollars a lb no way, and then buy a 6-pack of beer for $10. I still drink don't get me wrong. But when I'm low on cash I know where my priorities are at. I spend way too much on things I don't need and pass up on things that I should have for my health because it seems expensive. Waying out how important it is for me to be fit and also how much medical bills cost if I get ill; I've decided for me its worth to fork out the cash for things like hemp seed, vega protein powder, chia seeds, etc.

That's my two cents,

Cheers,

Dylan

thanks for a lightning fast response!!Well i'd go for more weight as well but if manage to get to 151 i'll be the happiest man alive.

What about soy, i have never eaten it before but heard lots of bad stuff about it and it's connection with estrogen.Can i eat fermented one?

p.s. I have heard that Vega proteins are good, do you have any links? The site is a bit confusing

People love to overplay soy being bad. I eat organic non gmo which is good. Very bland b though. Beans and lentils are great for protein if you dont want soy.

Are lentils edible raw? 100 grams of raw lentils has 26 grams of protein while cooked lentils have only 9 grams.3 times less.

Are lentils edible raw? 100 grams of raw lentils has 26 grams of protein while cooked lentils have only 9 grams.3 times less.

I recall having read somewhere that you shouldn't eat raw lentils because they contain anti-nutritional factors such as saponins, enzyme inhibitors, and lectins that interfere with or prevent nutrient absorption. Some of them are water soluble and can be dealt with by soaking, but for the most part you can only destroy them with heat.

Also, just to be clear; 1 cooked lentil doesn't actually have 3 times less protein, it's just that they expand so much when you cook them... but yea, 3 cups of lentils is a pretty serious portion.

I recall having read somewhere that you shouldn't eat raw lentils because they contain anti-nutritional factors such as saponins, enzyme inhibitors, and lectins that interfere with or prevent nutrient absorption. Some of them are water soluble and can be dealt with by soaking, but for the most part you can only destroy them with heat.

Also, just to be clear; 1 cooked lentil doesn't actually have 3 times less protein, it's just that they expand so much when you cook them... but yea, 3 cups of lentils is a pretty serious portion.

just ate 100g of lentils with potatoes.

Damn i had difficulty breathing aftewards.What gives?

www.veganproteins.com and www.veganessentials.com both carry Vega and at better prices than some of the big grocers.

Also, yes fermented, I've heard and read good things about tempeh and its health benefits and it being a great source of protein. Others feel free to chime in on the pros and cons. I don't eat it because I have tried it a handful of times and I really don't care for the taste.

-Dylan

Welcome to the group!

I would focus on finding the highest quality fruits, vegetables, nuts, grains, seeds, and legumes and consume them throughout the day to get adequate total nutrition.

Supplements can help some people, but certainly aren't required. If you can just eat adequate amounts of plant-based whole foods, and training regularly with compound, free-weight movements, you should be able to pack on some size.

All the very best to you!

I suggest you keep a training journal too, if you haven't already started one.

See you on the forum.

-Robert

People love to overplay soy being bad. I eat organic non gmo which is good. Very bland b though. Beans and lentils are great for protein if you dont want soy.

Is it because of dairy industry to supress soy as a dairy alternative thus making more than 90% of the soy worlwide GMO? i am not sure the soy is really bad.It seems most people on this boards here use a lot of soy.

It is because a lot of the soy is GMO yes. I buy the organic non GMO kind. It isn't bad in small doses and I eat probably more than I should. I can't use seitan due to gluten sensitivities. I say if you like soy products use them don't let anyone tell you what to eat, if you don't that is cool too. People forget we all don't like the same things and have different tastes