RC 2.0

My log is currently filled with me complaining of sciatica, I am however free to do squats, front squats ect & last week I hit 270lb for 5. But it's the position of deadlifting that is my issue, so I'm switching up to sumo deads to see if I get any benefit, have been talking to VeganEssentials about the back issue.

Pulling the 308lb is still impressive, even more so if your back is not 100% but it shouldn't hinder squats that much, my backs pretty awful atm & I can still make gains.

Here's a run down of Jim Wendlers 5/3/1 system, I think it would be great for you if you're focusing on OHP, bench,squats & deads (all the compounds) you can obviously start at even less than the 90%of your 1rm & also, if you felt it would benefit you more decrease the increments each month.

The guy had the  higher rate percentages listed for the weeks, the ones he's listed is higher. Week one is actually 65%-75%-85% & so on.

I'm currently using the boring but big template

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/hardcore-look-at-jim-wendlers-5-3-1-powerlifting-system.html

Here's an extra template Wendler put up using 5/3/1 with bodybuilding

http://www.jimwendler.com/2011/09/531-and-bodybuilding/

If you wanted the ebook I'd be happy to mail it over. All the best 

Ps also I can a send the excel spreadsheet which will program the lifts for you

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks man. I'll look into it. You can email the spreadsheet to [email protected] anytime.

On that same workout I pulled the 308, I actually pulled 321 off the ground for a set of shrugs. I spent that workout pulling all lifts from the floor, even shrugs in a deadlift until I got upright and then shrugged. So the exact weight I pulled was 321lbs which the heaviest I've pulled since 337lbs way back in 2003.

Today I shrugged 315lbs but I pulled it off the rack and barely got any reps, it was mostly like a hold. But once I get out to my friend's hardcore gym next week, and can yell and scream, use chalk and go for it as hard as I can, I'll likely pull 350lbs.

Squatting just isn't very comfortable on my lower back. It impacts me differently than deadlifts, so I'm focusing on deads now. I'm also doing overhead press, bent-over rows and a few other lifts. I haven't touched a machine all year. All free weights, all the time, and compound as much as possible. Today I did a set of 25 pull-ups and could have done more but it was my first set, so I saved bit for the next 5 sets.

Working my way back up. Getting that massage therapy started in 2 weeks too and I'll do that weekly or at least twice a month.

Have a great one! Thanks for the tips. I'll lower my reps a bit and pile the weight on.

5-2-12

Today was a back workout and it went quite nicely. It felt good and I moved some nice weight in shrugs and had one stand out set of pull-ups too.

It went like this:

Warm-up

15 minutes on the Spin Bike

Forward arm circles

Backward arm circles

Workout:

Wide grip pull-ups

Narrow grip pull-ups

Bent-over rows

135lbs x 5

135lbs x 5

115lbs x 10

115lbs x 10

115lbs x 8

125lbs x 6

Barbell Shrugs

225lbs x 10

245lbs x 7

275lbs x 8

305lbs x 3

315lbs x 2

315lbs x Hold (didn't get any reps)

225lbs x 10

225lbs x 10

I didn't lift very heavy in bent-over rows. I'm not sure why. I put up over 200lbs a couple of weeks ago, and often lift 135 or 155lbs for 10 reps. Today my wrist was hurting a bit and I just didn't get many. I've been wearing a brace on my wrist when I train for the past 2 months. It is still quite sore and some lifts I can't do and I can't do certain rotations with my wrist.

I still felt very good about the workout, especially getting 3 plates on each side of the bar. Even if reps were small, it was nice to start moving that weight.

I think I can deadlift as much as 350lbs when I'm fully rested, have chalk, and can do lots of yelling at my friend's garage gym next week! Bring it on!

Hey Robert, how do you do your barbell rows and pull ups? Do you keep tension for the pullups or do you do them from a dead hang? And for the rows, does the weight rest on the floor between each set or do you do it at a 45 degree angle and pull in to your stomach? I'm curious because you have nice back development. Thanks!

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Back if fun to train and is perhaps my favorite muscle group of all to train.

With pull-ups I go at a pretty fast pace, some would say perhaps not a "full-range" of motion and not to a dead hang. I do use a pretty good range of motion and sometimes from a full dead hang, but I like to keep the pace a bit faster and therefore my reps are perhaps a little shorter than they could be.

With bent-over rows I pull the bar off the rack which is usually from a squat rack or bench press and I bend at the waist until my back is fairly flat like a table and I pull the weight to my navel. At the moment, with my wrist issue (snapped it two months ago and wear a brace when I train) I can't do them very well and my range of motion suffers and it causes pain. I also can't lift as heavy.

But in general, I like to hit it pretty hard with back with as much range as I can with the weight I am trying to pull. Deadlifts are my current favorite exercise because I'm able to do them for the first time in a long time and they are an incredible amount of fun.

I enjoy compound free weight lifts the most.

Thanks!

Robert

Hey Ben,

I'd totally go, but I'll be in Chicago for another Vega event. I rarely travel but they've sent me out of town 2 of the past 3 weekends.

I get back on Monday and will be there the following weekend.

Go have fun! It is an awesome place to train! Big Mike rocks!

Bart is out of town until Sunday, but when we're all back, let's get a big group. Astrum wants to come as well.

High Fives!

Have fun this Saturday. Looking forward to hearing about it!

5/3/12

Shoulder day today! I focused on keeping those reps a little lower and getting that weight up. I had some pretty obnoxious dudes around me at the gym who clearly thought they were awesome, but clearly weren't, but I still managed. They could not finish a sentence without using the S or F words, and talked so loudly about their silly lives the entire gym could hear them. Shame a large weight didn't fall on them, perhaps next time.

Anyway, on with it.

Today's workout went like this:

Warm-up

Spin Bike for 15 minutes

Forward arm circles

Backward arm circles

Workout

Lateral raises

10s x 10

15s x 10

20s x 10

30s x 6

Front raises

10s x 10

15s x 10

20s x 10

30s x 6

Rear Delt raises

10s x 10

15s x 10

20s x 10

30s x 6

Dumbbell Overhead Press

50s x 10

60s x 5

65s x 4

65s x 3

65s x 5

70s x 2

Barbell Shrugs

225lbs x 10

275lbs x 6

315lbs x Hold

315lbs x Hold

275lbs x 4

275lbs x 10

225lbs x 12

That was it and then I went home to eat potatoes, rice, avocado and fruit.

I did a bunch of homework tonight, watched a lecture by Dr. Campbell and now it's time to head to bed. Flying to Chicago tomorrow for work for the weekend.

5/4/12

I hit a biceps workout this morning and I'm heading off to the airport soon. I was looking through my journal at the gym and realized I've trained 10 of the last 12 days, so I've been pretty consistent even with school and travel. That feels pretty good.

Today's workout was fairly brief, 40 minutes in total, counting the 10 min warm-up. I usually stick to compound movements but today was just a dumbbell biceps workout to give the larger muscle groups a rest. I'll likely take some full rest days in Chicago since I'll be working 12-14 hour days.

Warm-up

Spin bike for 10 minutes

Forward arm circles

Backward arm circles

Standing 2 arm dumbbell hammer curls

25s x 12

30s x 10

35s x 8

40s x 6

Seated alternating hammer curls

30s x 10

35s x 8

40s x 5

35s x 6

Concentration curls

30 x 10

35 x 10

40 x 6

40 x 8

That's it and off to Chicago. Will be a busy weekend.

Back home on Monday.

5/5/12

I took a rest day today and worked for 15 hours at the Green Festival in Chicago.

I'm short on sleep but feeling pretty good. I didn't even realize it is as late as it is. I have another long day tomorrow so I better wrap up and get going to bed soon.

5/6/12

After yesterday's 15 hour day, I worked about 13 hours today so I took another day off from the gym to catch up on rest.

I'll fly back home tomorrow afternoon/evening and will try to hammer through a workout when I get back.

Gotta head to bed soon. Been a long weekend.

Great to see so many Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness members in Chicago this weekend! Saw 4 people wearing VBB shirts at the Green Festival today. Awesome!

I also met Miss Chicago, who's trying to make the Miss America Pageant. She's vegan and came to the show after I found her on Twitter and invited her.

Some photos I was tagged in on Twitter today. All vegans in these photos.

AsPtyA9CQAAwDic.jpg

AsOzDHICIAADNFv.jpg

?size=l

5/7/12

Today I flew home from Chicago to Austin, TX. When I landed, weather seemed a bit weird. It was just 90 degrees, but on the shuttle back to the parking lot to retrieve my car, the driver said there are severe storm warnings. It was dry and I loaded up my car, but minutes later, the rain started to come. The rain was so intense, cars were barely moving on the highway and visibility was very slim. Debris was flying around and it was very dark.

The storm was intense during my entire drive home. I was already a bit tired from the full day of errands before the flight, the time at the airport, the flight itself and getting home, so I knew I needed to go directly to the gym. If I went home to sit down, I might not get back out there in the rain and make it to the gym late at night.

I arrived after 8PM, took some clothes out of my luggage, and hammered through a workout.

It was pretty fun, actually.

Here is what it looked like:

Warm-up:

Spin bike for 20 minutes

Forward arm circles

Backward arm circles

Workout:

Lateral Raises

12.5s x 12

15s x 10

20s x 8

25s x 6

30s x 5

Front Raises

12.5s x 12

15s x 10

20s x 8

25s x 6

30s x 5

Rear Delt Raises

12.5s x 12

15s x 10

20s x 8

25s x 6

30s x 5

Dumbbell Overhead Press

50s x 10

55s x 8

60s x 8

65s x 3

70s x Fail

65s x 3

Barbell Shrugs

225lbs x 10

275lbs x 7

295lbs x 5

315lbs x 8

335lbs x 6

355lbs x 4

225lbs x 20

That was it. Nice shoulder workout tonight after a long day and a very long weekend. I'm looking forward to a really intense workout at Bone Breaker Gym this weekend. It is 5 days away and I'm already salivating, waiting to do some big deadlifts and big barbell shrugs there, training with my buddies from this forum.

I worked on my new book during my flight and I'm wrapping up some work with my Plant-Based Nutrition Certification Course as well. Busy week ahead but an exciting one!

5/8/12

Today I hit the gym a bit earlier. It seems that I usually get to the gym at 8PM but I'd like to start training in the late mornings and early afternoons.

Today's workout was more late afternoon, but afternoon nonetheless. I hit the gym around 430PM.

Last night I planned out my workouts as I was lying in bed trying to fall asleep. I determined after my shoulder workout last night I could train legs today, abs on Wednesday and then take Thurs and Friday off to be fully rested to set record lefts for back/shoulders on Saturday at Bone Breaker Barbell with a bunch of my buddies from this forum/Austin vegan community.

Today's leg workout went like this:

Warm-up

Spin bike for 20 minutes

Bodyweight squats

Workout

Squats

135lbs x 10

155lbs x 10

185lbs x 6

185lbs x 6

205lbs x 6

205lbs x 6

225lbs x 6

135lbs x 10

I usually don't go above 175lbs because of some lower back issues but I wanted to put a little extra weight on to get my legs stronger to support my deadlifts, which is an exercise I can do without some of the same current limitations I have with my back during squats.

Dumbbell Walking Lunges

50s in each hand x 22 steps

50s in each hand x 20 steps

60s in each hand x 16 steps

60s in each hand x 14 steps

60s in each hand x 15 steps

75s in each hand x 8 steps

Good ol solid leg workout today. Nice to get it done early so I can get back to work.

Looking forward to some big lifts at Bone Breaker Barbell this weekend! Yeah Buddy!

5/9/12

Today I trained abs with the intention of taking Thurs and Friday off in preparation for a big lifting day on Saturday in which I hope to set some record lifts. And that is still my plan. I'll take the next couple of days to rest and focus on school work, and some general work stuff.

Getting right to it. Here is what today's workout looked like:

Warm-up

Spin bike for 15 minutes

The first few sets of crunches also acted as a warm-up before I got onto the other exercises.

Forward crunches

Right side crunches

Left side crunches

Hanging knee raises

Plank

60 seconds

60 seconds

60 seconds

60 seconds

75 seconds

75 seconds

90 seconds

75 seconds

Hanging straight leg raises

More Hanging Knee Raises

That was my abdominal workout for the day.

I'm eating some avocado, brown rice and greens right now. I purchased 12 avocados over the past 2 days and I'm down to just 6 left. I also used the rice cooker both days and ate lots of brown rice, had potatoes both days as well as apples, bananas and oranges. I also had a bunch of beans today which went really nice with the brown rice and avocado.

I'm still staying up a little later than I'd like, but I do get a lot of work done late at night, especially with school work, emails and editing my next book.

Back to eating and then off to bed within an hour I hope!

I'm going to give it my best shot and I should be pretty well rested by then, taking today and tomorrow off in preparation.

The weights aren't going to lift themselves. Time to rise up and pull some record weight!

...Today I trained abs with the intention of taking Thurs and Friday off in preparation for a big lifting day on Saturday in which I hope to set some record lifts...
Nice, looking forward to hearing what kind of numbers you put up! I won't be lifting Saturday; the weather is supposed to be great so I'll be outside trying to set a Nike Fuel personal record

5/10/12

Today is rest day, part of my preparation for a big lifting day on Saturday. I'm actually quite anxious and even a little stressed about it! I know that sounds silly, but I just get really anxious and antsy when I have a chance to set a record for myself, and know that some things could go wrong if I'm not totally focused.

But I know things will be fine and records set or not, it will be a great lifting day with some great buddies.

Right now I'm listening to the Thunder and rainstorm we have going on now in Texas.

Back to homework. 90-min lecture to listen to and take notes on.

5/11/12

Today was another rest day in preparation for a big lifting day tomorrow! I didn't even leave my apartment today. I never went outside and didn't do anything but school work from morning until night. I spent about 5 hours writing a paper and just finished it! Woohoo!

I better eat a bit more and get to sleep so I can be at full power for Bone Breaker Barbell tomorrow!

See you there, Big Bad Ben! @IronCladBen

5/12/12

I got myself hyped up for today, and have been looking forward to today's workout for the past 2 weeks. I missed Bone Breaker Barbell last weekend due to my trip to Chicago, but I was there today and all week long I prepped to break new records.

I did break one record, but I came up well short of the one I really wanted to break, and even tweaked my back in the process so I'll be taking a break from deadlifts for a while. Bummer. Though I kinda knew this day was coming. My lower back is always susceptible to pain, soreness, injuries, etc.

Next week I begin incorporating massage therapy into my program as well. Just gotta wait until payday. Wish I would have started with that sooner. Oh well, I'm hanging in there and still making progress. Will just focus on some other things for a little while. Shoulders, abs, and arms perhaps.

I realized I left my training journal at Bone Breaker Gym. But that is alright since I'm going back there tomorrow as well.

I'll post based on memory and alter it if I need to once I get my journal to look at:

Warm-up:

8 minute run in the sun

Bodyweight squats

Forward arm circles

Backward arm circles

Workout:

Deadlifts

135lbs x 15

225lbs x 5

315lbs x Fail

315lbs x Fail

275lbs x 1 - something tweaked in my back and I put the weight down and was done with deadlifts for the day.

I moved over to Barbell Shrugs, pulling off the rack since I couldn't bent over without pain, but I tested it with 245lbs and it also put strain and pain on my lower back. Then Big Bald Mike suggested to use a different grip and put the bar behind me and shrug from that angle rather than in front. Amazingly, no pain at all, even though just picking up a small 10 pound weight bending forward gave me sharp pain in my lower back.

Since it didn't cause any pay with a behind my back grip, I shrugged that way. For the past week I was aiming for a 405-lb barbell shrug. It went like this:

Behind the back Barbell Shrugs

245lbs x 10

315lbs x 10

405lbs x 10

455lbs x 6

495lbs x 5

505 lbs x 5

539lbs x 2

I never knew I could lift over 400 pounds with my upper body. Granted, these were just shrugs, pulling the barbell off the rack and doing a fairly short movement, but it still felt nice to hold that much weight. All through the 400's it felt pretty easy and manageable so I went over 500 pounds and it felt just fine. My previous best was about 5 days ago when I shrugged 355 pounds. Today was a pretty big jump.

My lower back is still sore and I'm bummed I'll likely have to take some time off from deadlifts, but at least I have a new favorite exercise to fill its place

Gotta get some sleep soon. Another day at Bone Breaker Barbell tomorrow.

5/13/12

When I woke up today I wasn't sure I was going to be able to train. My lower back was still pinching nerves and it seemed unlikely I would lift. Forum member bartonx7 was meeting me and we went to Bone Breaker Barbell. I figured I might be a spectator and just enjoying lying out in the 85 degree sun.

I went for a jog with Bart and felt pretty good. I did some stretching and some light dumbbell lifts and before I new it I was lifting 495 pounds with my upper body. So I ended up responding fine today, despite some initial soreness. I still need to get a lot of massage therapy and other therapy for my back, wrist, chest etc. and I plan to start that next week.

Bart and I had a nice long workout with Big Bald Mike.

Workout went like this"

Warm-up:

Jog for 8 minutes

Lateral raises

10s x 10

10s x 10

10s x 10

Front raises

10s x 10

10s x 10

10s x 10

Rear Delt raises

10s x 10

10s x 10

10s x 10

Workout:

2-Arm Bicep Hammer curls on a french curl bar

65lbs x 10

65lbs x 12

65lbs x 12

65lbs x 12

Dumbbell Overhead Press

50s x 10

50s x 7

65s x 4

65s x 3

Barbell Shrugs

495lbs x 1

495lbs x 1

More 2-Arm Bicep Hammer Curls

85lbs x 10

85lbs x 12

85lbs x 12

105lbs x 10

105lbs x 10

105lbs x 10

105lbs x 10

More Dumbbell Overhead Press

65s x 5

I ate about 4 or 5 bananas during the nearly 2-hour workout. We lift heavy (relative to our strength), listen to music, eat between sets, hangout and have an awesome time.

I've never had as much fun training as I have at Bone Breaker Barbell. I've only trained there 4 times thus far, but I plan to get over there (more than an hour round trip from where I live) about twice a week moving forward. I do my other training at a gym I can walk to close by.

Right now I'm pretty tired so I think I'll listen to a health lecture online and fall asleep.

5/14/12

Thanks Frayedendz, I appreciate it.

Today my back was sore, and I had a ton of school work to do (just stopped doing schoolwork at 145AM and now it is after 2AM) so I took a rest day.

I bought a ton of produce today, which I'm super pumped about, including a whole lot of fruit.

Had a very productive day with school and to some degree with work too. Got a bit of sun, ran some errands, and learned a whole heck of a lot in school!

Better get to bed soon. Super late night!

Hey Robert I'd recommend taking much smaller jumps on the deadlift when you're warming up like you do with squats. All the powerlifters at our club do at least 5 or 6 warmup sets no matter what weight they're going to that day. It'll warm you up properly, help prevent injury, reinforce technique and give you more confidence when you get to your main sets.

Other than that keep up the work