The Los Mangoles Sessions

Another new video. Been eating 100% raw for the past 8 days. For some reason when I eat this way I feel much more creative and less shy about sharing my thoughts, so I tend to make videos. Fun stuff. Here's one I made for one of my buddies who wanted to try some of Tim Ferriss' bro-science supplements in lieu of cleaning up his diet.

"Low Carb, Slow Carb, Bro Carb..." Very funny stuff and also, very true. Nice video.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another new video. Been eating 100% raw for the past 8 days. For some reason when I eat this way I feel much more creative and less shy about sharing my thoughts, so I tend to make videos. Fun stuff. Here's one I made for one of my buddies who wanted to try some of Tim Ferriss' bro-science supplements in lieu of cleaning up his diet.

"Low Carb, Slow Carb, Bro Carb..." Very funny stuff and also, very true. Nice video.

Ahhh glad someone could appreciate that. It just kinda slipped out but then later I was re-watching the video and applauding myself

2nd Half Marathon on Sunday. I AM READY. BRING IT!!

1 week of the pull up program complete! I can already see gains! On Friday you're supposed to re-attempt the workout that was hardest during the week. So I re-attempted the Tuesday workout and got a few more pull ups than last time. Also, I'm not really that sore at all after doing pullups to failure 5 days in a row. Maybe a tiny bit of soreness in my shoulders and lats but that's it.

Also, I hit 14 "Cheater" muscle ups this earlier this week (i.e. muscle ups on a 6' bar starting from a jump). My previous record in one session was one 3. I just caught fire, it was great.

Logging my pull up program:

Week 1:

Monday: 5,3,2,2,2 (5 sets to failure, 90s rest)

Tuesday: 1,2,3,2,3 (pyramid: 1, 10s rest, 2, 20s rest, 3, 30s rest... failure, 60s rest, set to failure)

Wednesday: 3x3x2 (3 sets of 3: regular pull ups, short grip chins, wide grip pull ups - 2 reps each)

Thursday: 4x3x2 (4 sets of 3 as before, 2 reps each)

Friday: 1,2,3,4,2,2 (pyramid again, repeating hardest exercise of the week)

Week 2:

Monday: 7,4,3,3,2 (huge level up from last week!)

Tuesday: 1,2,3,4,2,3

Wednesday: 3x2, 3x3, 3x2 (3 sets of each type, extra rep on the middle set of sets)

Running another half marathon on Sunday. Look out San Marcos!

PR'd my 3rd half marathon!

First HM (Nov'11) 2:11:11

2nd HM (Feb'12) 2:03:30

3rd HM (Mar'12) 2:00:53

Should hopefully break 2:00 next time!

Update on pull up program (new stuff in RED):

Week 1:

Tuesday: 1,2,3,2,3 (pyramid: 1, 10s rest, 2, 20s rest, 3, 30s rest... failure, 60s rest, set to failure)

Wednesday: 3x3x2 (3 sets of 3: regular pull ups, short grip chins, wide grip pull ups - 2 reps each)

Week 2:

Wednesday: 3x2, 3x3, 3x2 (3 sets of each type, extra rep on the middle set of sets)

Thursday: 3x3, 3x2, 3x3, 3x2

Friday: 1,2,3,4,3,2

Week 3:

Monday: 7,4,4,3,3

Tuesday: 1,2,3,4,4,3

Wednesday 3x3x3!~!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Brian! I had another breakthrough on Pull ups today. Got 9 on my first set, BOOYAH!~

Update on pull up program (new stuff in RED):

Week 1:

Week 2:

Thursday: 3x3, 3x2, 3x3, 3x2

Friday: 1,2,3,4,3,2

Week 3:

Monday: 7,4,4,3,3

Tuesday: 1,2,3,4,4,3

Wednesday: 3x3x3!~!!!!!

Thursday: 3x3x3, 3x2

Friday: Skip day

Week 4:

Monday: 7,5,4,2,2

Tuesday: 1,2,3,4,3,2

Wednesday: 3x3x3 rather easily

Thursday 3x3x5!!

Friday: 7,5,4,4,3

Week 5:

Monday: 9,5,5,4,4 ~~~ YEAH BUDDY!!!

Finally met Robert in person the other night. We gotta hang out some more dude!

• 3 weeks later...

Ran Tough Mudder last weekend in my VBB shirt. Check out this pic with the abs underneath. Yeah buddy!

Not sure what I want to do now. With 2 half marathons and 2 tough mudders under my belt already in 2012 I need something new to shoot for. I've worked out pretty much every day this week, but the workouts have been kind of lackadaisical. I don't really have a lot of motivation now that I've hit all my goals. I guess I need new goals. Hmmmmm.

1381814448_VBBToughMudder.jpg.d478fb693edd98b9ee7eea872699d5b9.jpg

Nice!

Dude your muscles are poking through the shirt, like those abs!

Awesome stuff!

How did the race go? I want to do something like that sometime.

When my wrist gets a bit better I'll join you for a bar workout sometime. I just did 25 narrow-grip pull-ups a few days ago for a set, and average around 18 per set, but my wrist can only stay in a neutral or slightly pronated grip right now. Soon I'll play around bars like a monkey!

Have a great week.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey! You up for some Bone Breaker Gym action this Saturday?

I'm so pumped! We have a Whole Team now! You, Mike, Gina, Bart, Astrum and Me! And I'm sure it will grow as our enthusiasm spreads!

Yeah Buddy!

• 5 weeks later...

Been to Bone Breaker Barbell a couple times since I last posted here.

I pulled 269 x 2 this past weekend (which was 7th set of the day)

I haven't posted this here yet but my wife and I split up 3 months ago. Motivation to workout is about 1/10th of what it used to be. I was undereating for a while (2500-3000 cals/day vs. usual 3500-3600) and lost some weight. I was down to 155 at my skinniest, now back up to 158. I am slowly building back my exercise habit. It's been tough. I have been 100% 80/10/10 for 129 days now. At day 150 I'm going to take a break, have some rice, maybe some gluten-free/soy-free vegan pizza, who knows. I really want to have some of those foods again. However, I have a feeling that after 5 months raw, my body is going to rebel. So I may be back on 100% raw again pretty quickly. It will be a fun experiment

Hey Ben,

cool video! sorry to hear about the split, but glad you're eating again! yeah..my body had a fit when we started eating cooked again. everything tastes so different once you've been raw. i didn't go back to raw fully, but have kept up with tons of fruits/veg in the diet and my energy levels are actually higher than they've ever been

• 1 month later...

Finally getting my mojo back!!

This month so far:

7/1: Bench press. 135 x 6, 145 x 5, 160 x 4. Did some other stuff too, I forget.

7/2: 5 mile evening run.

7/3: Pull up workout + 1.75mi vibrams run

7/4: Visit to the water park with vegan fitness friends, nothing heavy but I'll count that as a day of physical activity.

7/5: Calisthenics and 1.75mi vibrams run. Filmed a video on how to train for Tough Mudder

7/6: Legs and shoulders. C&J 115 x 4. Lunges. Legpress. Shoulder press.

7/7: Day off

7/8: Deadlifts 135 x 8, 169 x 6, 189 x 5, 199 x 5, 208 x 4, 225 x 4, 235 x 4, 245 x 3, 269 x 2, 285 x 1, 285 x 1. YEAH BUDDY!! NEW PR's! Also did Hack squats 400 x 8, 400 x 9, 400 x 10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFXczzxWwRU

Edit: Today: 4 mile run

7/11: Pull ups, 2 mile run, push ups, ab roll x 21

7/13: Legs / Shoulder workout. Later 1hr Stand-up Paddleboarding (whoah core workout!)

7/15: Bench / Barbell Shrugs / Chest Flies at Bonebreaker barbell. Shrugged 357 x 5!

Kinda messed up my toe yesterday. I was moving the incline bench and kinda of rammed it over my foot. Hopefully I can still run.

Toe is f'd up but I'm managing. Ain't nothin' but a little peanut!

Runnin' fool this week. Ran 4 miles Tuesday, HIIT run yesterday, then 3 miles today. Thrown some pull ups, dips and pushups in there too.

Bonebreaker is blowing up! I was promoting the hell out of it at Vegan Drinks last night. I think we may even get KATE to workout there some time soon.

• 1 month later...

Awesome man!

Wow, I am really impressed with your strength!

I only got up to 321 at Bonebreaker on the deadlift before taking a break from lifting. 337 is my all-time best.

Say hi to everyone for me.

All the best with your school applications!

See you when I get back.