Eating Late at Night...

Hello, I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on eating dinner late.

I work a 9-5 kinda job, so when I get off work I go to work out. This means getting home for dinner around 9.

Do you think it is OK to eat so late, or should I stick to something light like a protien shake or does it not matter just eat how much I feel like?

I really prefer to eat very early and go to bed on an empty stomach. I have had great success in the past losing/maintaining weight loss this way as well (amongs other things of course!)

Thanks!

I think the ideal is really just to distribute the percentage of your calories evenly across the day. As long as you aren't eating a large percentage late, you should be alright. Most of your calories should be eaten earlier, as these will fuel you for the rest of the day. Many calories taken in before bed are stored, not used.

If you are working out at night, you need a meal afterwards for recovery. It's not a big deal eating so late if it's your post-workout meal. What does your workout usually consist of? If you lift, you NEED both carbs and protein for recovery afterwards.

Otherwise, it's good to wait at least 2 hours after your last meal before bed. That way, the bulk of your digestion is finished and your body can rest.

~ Adrienne

I read in an article (I can't remember where so can't cite the source ) that you should try to eat mini meals every 3 hours. By doing this you condition your metabolism to expect food and to start working every 3 hours. Eat your last meal 3 hours before you go to sleep and your metabolism will rev up, expecting food.

Thanks Crash.

I pretty much do eat every few hours. Here is an average day for me -

7 AM - Wake Up

8 AM - Breakfast

10 AM - Snack

12 PM - Lunch

2:30 PM - Snack

and then dinner would be around 6, but if i working out, I will eat around 8.

I think maybe I will just thow another snack in at 4 or 5 instead of dinner.

That is interesting about metabolism rising before bed...i never thought of that. Thanks.