Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: mgabs' training log
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:41 pm 
Gorilla

Anything behind the neck is a huge no no for me...you can't beat a proper strict military barbell press. Pressing on smith machines should be against the law. Even lat pull downs behind the neck make me wince, just doesn't look right to put the shoulder, neck & posture into that position. But if you're making gains...

I like your workouts, no bs & to the point...much like myself

"Don't fall for that crap that people are peddling on the message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn't matter" Jim Wendler

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:25 pm 
Rabbit

Thanks! I guess btn press isn't for everyone because of shoulder mobility. It feels fine for me, and I really feel it working my shoulders. Plus I can't cheat and lean back like I can when I do them in front! I do them in front too though every so often. I don't use the pulldown machines, and pull ups behind the neck just don't any sense..hahah.. I used to take 3-4 minutes of rest for the longest time, and lately I've cut it down to 2 minutes (timing it strictly). I think it's one of the smartest things I've ever done!

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:57 pm 
Gorilla

I can relate to bad shoulder mobility. I had bad whiplash in an accident. I looked like the 80's batman turning my neck to the left. I don't go much past shoulder width for pull ups either. 

My lower back is awful with sciatica & forever hold me back on deadlifts. I even programmed it at a beginner weight pre 5/3/1 & it's still awful. I'll make gains then have a bad bout, not deadlift & start over. But I can squat, front squats ect so at least that's not effected.

I take a good 3 mins now before each set, on the main loft at least. I'm there to get strong so it's a little different to bodybuilding obviously

"Don't fall for that crap that people are peddling on the message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn't matter" Jim Wendler

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:29 pm 
Rabbit

Yeah, way different than bodybuilding. I don't really train for anything in particular, just to get stronger and feel better and look better. I just like doing certain exercises so I do those. Why you do you do deadlifts if you have back problems? Unless you plan on competing, there's really no advantage in doing something that is going to put you in a position of increased injury. I have respect for people who deadlift, because I've been injured so many times doing it that I just decided I'd had enough.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:51 pm 
Gorilla

It's something I had as a teen & never botherd to fix. It usually settles down after a while, just one of those things. Need to be able to deadlift for strongman events.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:11 am 
Rabbit

Oh so you are competing. Then I think it makes sense to deadlift!

Today did a short arm routine:

Dumbbell curls (Loose form) 30lb dumbbells 15, 15, 11, 10
Dumbbell curls (Strict form) 20lb dumbbells 12, 12, 10, 10

2 minutes rest as usual!

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:59 pm 
Gorilla

Yes I'm lucky enough to train with
One of the worlds strongest men & a group of other strongmen who
Compete in the under 105kg...that's my aim but working towards it still

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:26 pm 
Rabbit

Went back to overhead pressing to the front today to mix things up. Felt pretty good!

Standing barbell press: 115lbs 5, 5, 5, 5, 4 - 95lbs 8
Neck press: 115lbs 10, 10, 10, 10
Standing dumbbell lateral raises: 17.5lb dumbbells 10, 10, 10, 10
Tricep cable pushdowns: 100lbs 12, 12, 12

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:57 pm 
Rabbit

Pull ups: 9 9 8 7
BB rows: 135lbs 7 7 7 7
Db curls: 35lbs 8 8 8 8
Face pulls: 90lbs 10 10 10 10
Chin ups: 8 8 8 6

2 minutes rest between each set again. Killer workout! The form is near perfect on everything, and no swaying or cheating any movements. (That's why my poundages are much lower than my maxes) I used to do chin ups with 30lbs hanging from me, but I decided to put them at the end of the workout so I am too fatigued to go too heavy. It feels better on my joints too!

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:41 am 
Gorilla

Nice work again, was loving pull ups yesterday! No lower back work?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:31 am 
Rabbit

I injured my back and I really can't do deadlifts or squats anymore, so I do bodyweight squats on my off-days. The barbell rows are done pendlay style off the ground for each rep, so that gives my lower back a lot of work. I really can't do much lower back work, which I'm pretty upset with. I was deadlifting 315lbs at 155lbs, and squatting 225lbs, but that's all gone away. I've always had a weak lower back, and I told myself not to get upset about not deadlifting and squatting, because I don't care since I'm not going to compete. So in short: I just do the exercises that feel good and natural for me to do. Deadlifts and squats no longer feel natural I guess... 8)

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:58 am 
Rabbit

Standing military: 115lbs 6, 6, 5, 4, 4
Neck press: 115lbs 11, 11, 11, 10
Dumbbell shoulder press: 40lb dumbbells 8, 8, 6, 7
Dips: 25lbs 7, 7, 7, 7

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:20 pm 
Rabbit

Pullups: 9, 9, 9, 7
BB rows: 135lbs 8, 8, 8, 8
Db Curls: 35lbs 9, 9, 8, 8,
Face pulls: 90lbs 11, 11, 11, 11
Chins: 8, 8, 8, 6

2 minutes rest again. Great pump and feeling strong! Improved on everything except chins!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:32 pm 
Gorilla

Try varying how you do you pull/chin ups. As an example I do pull/chins between benching & pressing. Check my log your'll see want I mean

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:01 am 
Rabbit

I looked at your log man. I'm wondering something though. How can you do so many pull ups and chin ups but only military press 50kgs for 3 or 4 reps? I'm so confused. I military press more than you and probably weigh 30-40lbs less than you but you do more chin ups than me? It makes no sense!

Mind****!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next