Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: IronSmith's Vegan Diet & Exercise Log to Defeat Cancer
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:08 am 
Rabbit

To LMNgetfit and okkidchild, and many others who have responded in such supportive ways over the last few months... Thank you so much! I have a wonderful love and support system with my family and many friends that really gets me through the day. And the addition support I receive here is the icing on the cake! The best back at ya!

Held Drug Free Powerlifting State, National, & World Records in the Federations NASA, AAPF, ADFPA, & Amateur IPA.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:52 am 
Rabbit

Was coughing up blood the past two days after the procedure but diminished last evening. None today thank God. Also the stuff they gave me to numb my throat and then to put me to sleep must have binder me up. Feeling very constipated. Even with all the vegs and fiber I eat. This is so much fun. They told me to take it easy for a few days and no physical activities. Not even housework. At least I get something out of this deal. I am going to take a short walk this afternoon. But going to take it easy. My wife and I were planning on driving down to Florida the end of May but that is up in the air depending on what the Doctors tell me next week. But I have defiantly made up my mind I will not take chemotherapy if that is what the Doctor decides he wants to prescribe. I just won't do it. I have researched this inside and out, up and down, looking at all the pros and cons and I think it would do me more harm than good. Beside all the side effects, it depletes the immune system so my body would not be able to fight the cancer or any other disease. That can't be good.

Held Drug Free Powerlifting State, National, & World Records in the Federations NASA, AAPF, ADFPA, & Amateur IPA.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:35 pm 
Rabbit

Had a wonderful visit by my youngest son this evening. Went out to supper, just the two of us. I had a very good vegan stir fry and a few hand fills of nuts and berries and feel great. I always enjoy talking to my son. He is so intelligent and so interesting to talk with. Also the love and support I receive from him is so uplifting and healing! Everything considered that has transpired the last few weeks, I feel good this evening and hopeful. I'm going to keep fighting and living the best I can! Tomorrow is a brand new day!

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 3:08 pm 
Rabbit

Been exploring different types of veggie smoothies the past few days. I have been very impressed by the writings of Jeff Primack (Conquering Any Disease & Smoothie Formulas). His well documented and researched approach to treating cancer and other diseases is very informative and inspiring! He has 6 different veggie smoothies specific developed to fight cancer that I'm currently experimenting with. They are not the most delicious smoothies I have ever drank but I don't care. If they give me a fighting chance, I don't care if they taste like crap! I'm working my way through trying them all. In his first mentioned book he has a procedure to follow that includes mushroom, smoothies, salads, healthy fats, and a few supplements that have been soundly researched to help fight cancer. Reducing stress and exercise is other important parts of his program. His approach is very compatible with what I have already been doing with a few interesting twists that make good sense to me. So I'm viewing this as just a good fine tuning of my nutrition program. You can find out more about Jeff and his approach at Qigong.com. At first his Eastern philosophy may seem a bit out there but then again the Western World approach has not been very good to us health wise. So expand your horizons! :) :) :)

I went to watch my grandson play soccer this morning. Lots of fun. Sitting in the sun felt real good. The long walk to and from the playing field felt real good too! I may try to ride my recumbent bike later on today just to get some more blood flowing and get some oxygen in my system!

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:01 am 
Rabbit

I received my new book by Verne Varona, Nature's Cancer-fighring Foods, yesterday. I've just had time to briefly skim it but it seems to be a bit out dated but is very in-depth in the material it does cover. I think it will be a very good resource book for me so I'm very glad I bought it. If I just get a few ideas out of a book then I value it even if it's not cutting edge. Verne is very intelligent and a very good writer who presents the extensive research and theory behind various ideas in the alternative medicine approach in nutritionally fighting cancer. To me I like to know the solid ground of why various methods are put forth. So to me his book is very valuable. I don't like just accepting new ideas whole hog without good supporting data. I will consider new ideas that are just immuring that are still being researched but even then I like to know the foundation knowledge from which it springs!

Feeling very good today. Sleep in and feel very rested. Going to visit my Mom at the nursing home this afternoon. She has Alzheimer's as did my late Dad. Hope I don't have the genes myself. Hoping that the nutrition I am taking for my prostate cancer also protects me from developing Alzheimer's myself. It is such a terrible disease. Both my late Dad and my Mom were both such intelligent and witty people and it is so sad to see that slip away from them. Robbing them of much of who the were. My Mom still has moments of expressing her Irish wit that I get over joyed when that happens. I love the twinkle in her eyes when that happens. I think one of the biggest lessons I am learning from life is that we can't take our health for granted. If we don't take care of our health by good solid nutrition, exercise, stress management, etc. we will lose that which is so important to our quality of life!

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 6:36 pm 
Rabbit

Amen on not taking our health for granted! That's why I do what I do-I prefer to stay out of our healthcare system-if you know what I mean!!

Alzheimers is a tough disease-not easy to witness those we love when they are affected-glad to hear about your Mom's moments of "Irish" clarity! :)

Keep reading my friend & keep posting!! Have a great week!

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:51 am 
Rabbit

Just got back from the Pulmonary Doctor. I received the full analysis from the biopsy. As they told me right after the procedure, it is cancer. They were able to pin point that it is a spreading of the prostate cancer and not a new cancer. The Doctor said that the cancer is confined to the lymph nodes in the center chest area and not in the lungs them self. Also there is not a big mass, just the lymph nodes are swollen. Tomorrow I go to the education session on chemotherapy and then Wednesday I see the Ontologist. Barring the heavens open and an sign form God tells me to take the chemo, there is no chance in hell I will! I keep reading scientific study after another and all points that chemotherapy is crap! The little bit it may help in a few cases, most of the time it does more harm than good. I'll stay the source on good nutrition and reasonable supplements, losing weight, exercise, 30 minutes of sunlight a day, and stress management. I'll be a lot better off!

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:08 am 
Rabbit

Well, I go to listen to the chemotherapy propaganda, I mean education, session this afternoon. I have been reading a lot of scientific research studies about the effectiveness of chemotherapy, side effects, damage it does to the immune system, etc. Also the finical incentives the drug industry give to the Ontologists to prescribe chemotherapy. And how the big pharmaceuticals control the education of Doctors, medical schools curriculums, and try to beat down Doctors who use alternative medicine approaches. Not a pretty picture! I want to experience one of their education sessions first hand. I will be polite and will listen to what they say but I have a few questions I will ask that I'm sure they will not want to answer directly. We will see!

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:02 pm 
Rabbit

Went to the chemotherapy education class today. Very interesting. The nurse Jill was very nice and informative but only about issues that may come up dealing with side effects. I felt she was compassionate and caring. However she was not able or was not suppose to address issues about the effectiveness of chemotherapy. She could not give any links to studies about the results pro or con about chemo. She redirected us back to the Doctor. I felt like she knew she was on touchy ground and did not really want to say more. I completely understand. Most of the patients at the prevention had already agree to start the chemo or had already had one or two treatments. So I did not press the issue in respect to them. But I am very concerned that they will or can not give an unbiassed or neutral view about chemo. It is all pro and avoid any contrary views. That only makes sense as that is how they make their money from that approach. It would be too much to ask for them to present anything but that stance. So I have to get additional info else where. I try to get as much solid scientific research data published in peer reviewed and respected medical journals. Also I do see the Ontologist tomorrow and I will ask him some more involved questions.

Ate real clean and healthy today as always. I'm not letting the stress of dealing with this distract me from my vegan approach. Down to ride my bike in a few minutes.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:25 pm 
Rabbit

What an eventful last few days for you.......I respect you in taking a step back to realize that the education nurse knew her limitations in providing you the info requested. I'm not surprised she suggested you discuss your issues with your physician. She's there as a sounding board for those already led to the trough of drugs and conventional medicine.

I'm curious to see what the oncologist says..... If he/she doesn't know or care to find answers to your questions, will you keep doc shopping?!? Maybe to someone in the area of progressive, holistic treatment in regards to your type of CA? One who is willing to look at ALL options?!? A doc with a history of unique treatments plans and success?!?

This quest you are on to take control of your health treatment is still admirable....... Your comment on how drs and big pharm companies only benefit each other reminds me of a thought....I've read somewhere that MDs have approx 3 credit hours of nutrition when obtaining the med degree-this is usually associated with the undergrad degree....... How as well as why would they know about nutrition to prevent and/or solve a health problem? Where does it stand to benefit their "business" of helping treat people if everyone was healthy? Physicians stand to benefit the most when people are sick, makes me sick.....Think of the money thrown towards preventative care-the least amount of any!!!! This is a peeve of mine!! Ironically, a majority of my patients have illnesses that are preventable-I too benefit (read as job security) from people being sick and needing anesthesia-saddens me more times than not! Enough of my food for thought!!
Curious to hear more...... Keep up the positive thoughts and good attitude!

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:37 pm 
Rabbit

LMNgetfit - my thoughts and concerns as well. The more I get into the finical structure and politics of Big Pharmacy Business, the more I understand what a strangle hold they have over Oncologists and what they can and can not do! I'm usually not a cynic but this is really horrifying!

My lovely wife and most avid supporter Rita asked me a very important question as we drove home from the education session today. She supports my decision no matter what. However she asked me am I painting myself into a corner with my current negative opinion about chemotherapy? If I change my mind will it be hard for me to then back track and reverse my course? And my answer is no! I would not have any problem at all saying I changed my mind and then freely expressing why! I have not soften my current stance one bit at all so far, but if I did, I would feel OK saying so. I'm taking in all and any information at all, pro or con. I'm trying to make sure its from the most reliable sources. Time will tell as to my final decision but no matter what it may be, it is my decision and my decision alone. I am responsible for myself. I love my family and friends so much, and I do not take this decision lightly. I want to be around for years to come to celebrate life with them! So please give me any support or corrective criticism/feedback as you may see fit, but in the finial analysis, respect my final decisions. And that it is the best decisions I or any one who is in my position may make! And I promise you I will do my homework to fully understand all sides of the chemotherapy issues that can be currently comprehended!

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:41 am 
Rabbit

So it goes. I see the new Oncologist this afternoon. He took some blood tests the first time I saw him. So I should get the results today. This included a new PSA. I can only pray that it didn't continue to rise since the last one. We will be talking to him about the results of my recent biopsy that I had done by the Pulmonary Doctor, that is, he found cancer in my lymph nodes in the center of my chest. Also that the lab results determined that they were a spreading of the prostate cancer and not a new cancer. I'm sure he will want to suggest that I start one or both of the new drugs we talked about before, that is the immune booster Provenge and the chemotherapy Taxotere. I am considering the Provenge but right now I'm saying a hell no to the Taxotere. Needless to say I have been looking up everything I can find on the internet about both drugs, pro and con, to fully understand them as possible. I have a lot of hard questions I am going to be asking about them. This is so stressful. I'm doing my relaxation exercises today, riding my bike, and I plan on taking a short walk in the sun just before I leave for the appointment this PM. Also taking my veggie smoothies and a big dark green salad before I leave too. So it goes!

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:31 am 
Rabbit

Went to see my new Oncologist yesterday afternoon. My PSA rose again to 19.2. The Doctor discussed several treatment options. I choose to start one of them in a few weeks, Provenge, an immunity booster specially designed for prostate cancer. In the mean while, Rita my wife and I are going to take a road trip to Florida to visit with her brother and his family. We plan on making several stops along the way and try to forget my health concerns and enjoy our selves. So I will most likely be off line for awhile. Time to smell the roses!

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:01 pm 
Rabbit

Have a great trip-be safe and most importantly HAVE FUN!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:40 am 
Rabbit

Back from our two week road trip. Wonderful trip. Our first stop was in Nashville and we spend the day on Music Row. Lots of fun, good eating (vegan), and shopping. Got lots of walking in. We drove to Gatlingburg the next day. What a beautiful place. We drove to the highest place in the Smokey Mountains. What a magnificent view! Walked quite a lot that day up and down paths in the woods, etc. Had a great vegan pizza at the Mellow Mushroom in Pigeon Forge in the next town. From there we drove to Florida in the Tampa/ClearWater area to visit with Rita's brother and family for a few days. Went down to St. John's Pass on the ocean/boardwalk. Lots of walking in the sun there too! Next Rita and I drove to New Orleans and spent a day in the French Quarter. Had a great time walking up and down Bourbon Street. Had a great vegan meal at the Gumbo Cafe on St. Peter's Street. Lots of shopping. Next we headed to Memphis and toured Elvis's Graceland. That was more fun and interesting than I would have thought. I had been a big Elvis fan in his early Sun Studio days before he sold out to Hollywood. We drove home from there to our home in Springfield Ohio. I was never so happy to crawl into my own bed and get the best night sleep I have had i two weeks. This was one of the best times I have had in my life.

Rita and I had so much fun and seen things and did things we have always dreamed about. Eating healthy on our trip was not as difficult as I imagined it would be. I had two ice chest full of cut up vegetables, a loaf of sprouted bread, cashews nut butter and good strawberry preserves, a couple cations of soy milk, and I took my blender to have the occasional green smoothie. I took my containers of RAW spouts protein power and my green food power too to add to my smoothies. The times we choose to eat at restaurants, we goggled vegan friendly places and for the most part was not disappointed! The good news is with all the walking and eating sensible, I actually lost four pounds on my vacation. That really surprised me as in the past vacations were a weight gaining experience! So I'm down to 294. My weight loss is very slow but I am still moving in the right direction. Last February I was at 365-370 so it has slowly been coming off. The one negative is that since my last hormone depletion shot (my third one that I get every three months)I have felt much weaker in the past few weeks. I didn't get to weight train during my vacation and I am really looking forward to starting again in a day or two. Where I really noticed my weakness was going up stairs. It was a struggle at times. Not good! Reducing my Testosterone levels is part of my Prostate Cancer treatment as it reduces the size of the prostate and supposedly the rate of cancer growth.

While I was on vacation, I thought hard and long about what my next steps will be as far as cooperating with conventual medicine approach for my cancer. My new Ontologist wants me to first take Provenge that is supports radically change my immune system. While improving my immune system is my main goal, I'm not convince that taking that drug is the right way to go. Research demonstrated that the Provenge does not reduce the size of the prostate and cancer and does not slow down the rise in the PSA rate. But it is suppose to add 3-4 months on to your life accordingly to the one research study they did. But I have read a criticism to that study that faults the way they designed the experiment and control groups. At this point I think the scientific support for that approach is very weak and the long term effects of premaritally changing your immune system are unknown. I am leaning towards continuing improving my own natural immune system by diet, exercise, and 30 minutes of sun light a day as my main approach. The radiation treatment I took last year did deplete my immune system and I have been trying to repair it ever since. So much for the traditional medical approach! I really am starting to regret having done the radiation treatment but I made the best decision I could make at that time.

The other treatment approach my Ontologist wants me to do consider is the chemotherapy. I have listened to him and his nurse who present an education session to Rita and myself. I have read lots of pro's and con's on the internet. I have tried to keep an open mind but in the finial analysis, my decision is no. I won't do it. I'm going to continue the natural approach. I pray to God I am right!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 16  Next