IronSmith's Vegan Diet & Exercise Log to Defeat Cancer

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Usually a prostatectomy is performed in Stage I or Stage II prostate cancer cases. After that there are too many drawbacks for that type of procedure With Stage III or Stage IV the cancer has spread to other areas of the body so it's too late for that to be effective. Also there is a high risk that the very process of surgery would release the cancer to travel to other parts of the body also. Even a biopsy can be risky. However a survey carries the highest level of risk that are way too high. At least that is how I have been led to believe.

I was given the suggestion to check out Dr. Fuhrman website. Thank you very much!

"...he looks at things and treatment a little different, especially prostate cancer."

You can find him at www.drfuhrman.com

I have read a lot about his approach. I have searched high and low for information to help in this matter. Some very helpful, other a little out there, but who's to say?

I'm tightening up my diet. No fruit except citrus (including the pith) and berries. Also a few apples (including the seeds) in my smoothies. Over all I'm trying to reduce my sugar in my diet. Also no rice, white potatoes, or pasta. Sweet potatoes are OK in small amounts. Drinking two smoothies a day up from one. Making one of them with raw beets, cabbage, carrots, broccoli stalks, ginger, strawberries, etc. The other is my usual green smoothie. Lot of dark green salads. Using lots of watercress, beet greens, mustard greens, kale, cucumbers, etc. Trying to eat at least 80% raw. But am steaming 10-15 stalks of asparagus a day. Also going to start a new supplement of Atlas Agarius Ekismate mushrooms. Suppose to increase the Killer cells that attack cancer cells. Also trying to get at least 30 minutes of sunlight a day to increase my Vit. D. My last test showed I was very low in that area!

Fighting back the best I can. My exercise program has slowed down due to all the Doctor's appointments and feeling exhausted dealing with all the stressful news. But I'm going to try and get that back up to a more acceptable level this week. That helps burn off some of the stress and gets more oxygen in my blood stream. Cancer does not do well in an oxygenized body!

Thanks for answering my question-I'm mostly on the other side of surgery in dealing with prostate issues during surgery - I'm a CRNA (Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist). My history taking is detailed with patients mostly regarding the "now" in relation to their upcoming anesthetic.

Once again, I admire your constant diligence in researching all that you can do for yourself through nutrition and a healthy lifestyle- in other words, controlling WHAT you can control. I wish on a daily basis my patients would do that..... In my 8.5 yrs of anesthesia practice, people are sicker, have more unrealistic expectations for healthcare and in return demand more out if me with LESS resources- (a cOmpletely different topic for discussion!).

So again, keep up the fight and I'm thinking and praying for you!!

I believe in the Serenity Prayer. It's not just for recovering addicts. It'a a good approach to life for all of us!

God grant me the serenity

to accept the things I cannot change;

Courage to change the things I can;

And wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;

Enjoying one moment at a time;

Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;

Taking, as He did, this sinful world

as it is, not as I would have it;

Trusting that He will make all things right

if I surrender to His Will;

That I may be reasonably happy in this life

and supremely happy with Him

Forever in the next.

Amen.

Just trying to be as proactive for myself and my family in those areas I may be able to make a difference!

In my constant search for nutritional approached to fight my prostate cancer, I have searched high and low. I have come across many different approaches, many that make good sense to me and quite a few that seem like of loony. But even thought I may at first have my suspicions I try not to be too quick to dismiss. I just look for other authors and researches that may support or disprove any of those ideas. And even those thee may be a kernel of truth in part of the approaches while the rest is kind of shaky!

There are two authors that I have recently become aware of that are making an impression on me even if at first that may seem a bit farfetched.

The first is Jeff Primack, an Qigong partitioner (Qigong.com). I have bought two of his books: "Conquering Any Disease" and "Smoothie Formulas". They are remarkable books and I would highly recommend them to anyone facing health problems!

The second is Verne Varona who I am just learning about. I'm going to send for two of his books very soon.

I am trying to keep an open mind and not dismiss anyone just off hand Very often I am just finding old ideas just repackaged. Old wine in new bottles. But other times I an finding just the opposite! New wine in old bottles.

Slide1.jpg.ffc13fae54e30ea874f6d21699e6a66b.jpg

This is a tee shirt logo I'm playing around with. I borrowed two of the logos from my son's band!

Great day. Great weekend!

Went to watch my son sing in his band last night (wrongsause.com). They were killer! Full house and everyone was really blown away by the band. Rita and I really enjoyed ourselves! Today we went to our grandson's 13th birthday party. Great conversations and fun shared all around. I do believe that sharing love and joy with my family is a major part of my fight against cancer. Happy emotions, laughter, and real relaxation releases positive chemicals in the body that are healing!

Got some sun today and did lots of walking all weekend! But no weight training. Will get in a good leg/lower back workout tomorrow morning.

Wednesday I have my biopsy! I can hardly wait! Trying to be as positive as possible and distract myself with positive activities!

20 minutes on my recumbent bike.

Parallel Box squats with Buffalo Bar: (The four chains equal about 80 pounds at top of squat and deload to almost zero when momentarily sitting on the parallel box) (Just used my powerlifting belt and no knee wraps)

70 + four chains x 10 reps

130 + four chains x 8 reps

180 + four chains x 6 reps

230 + four chains x 3 reps

280 + four chains x 3 reps

Felt like I was strong enough to do another set with 330 but very tired. So I decided to back off everything considered.

Ab bench three sets of 16 reps.

TKEs - two sets of 20 reps on each leg.

Shin raises - two sets of 20 reps.

Called it a day!

Well had my procedure this morning and the immediate results of the biopsy is that there is cancer in my lymph nodes in my lung area. There will be further results that I will learn more about on Monday after the biopsy undergoes more analysis in the lab. I am more determined than ever to fight this. I plan on being the come back kid in this battle with cancer. I have promises to keep to my late wife Linda and my current wife Rita. And of course all the rest of my wonderful family and friends! Love all around!

Going out to the kitchen right now to make my green smoothie and then take a long walk!

To LMNgetfit and okkidchild, and many others who have responded in such supportive ways over the last few months... Thank you so much! I have a wonderful love and support system with my family and many friends that really gets me through the day. And the addition support I receive here is the icing on the cake! The best back at ya!

Was coughing up blood the past two days after the procedure but diminished last evening. None today thank God. Also the stuff they gave me to numb my throat and then to put me to sleep must have binder me up. Feeling very constipated. Even with all the vegs and fiber I eat. This is so much fun. They told me to take it easy for a few days and no physical activities. Not even housework. At least I get something out of this deal. I am going to take a short walk this afternoon. But going to take it easy. My wife and I were planning on driving down to Florida the end of May but that is up in the air depending on what the Doctors tell me next week. But I have defiantly made up my mind I will not take chemotherapy if that is what the Doctor decides he wants to prescribe. I just won't do it. I have researched this inside and out, up and down, looking at all the pros and cons and I think it would do me more harm than good. Beside all the side effects, it depletes the immune system so my body would not be able to fight the cancer or any other disease. That can't be good.

Had a wonderful visit by my youngest son this evening. Went out to supper, just the two of us. I had a very good vegan stir fry and a few hand fills of nuts and berries and feel great. I always enjoy talking to my son. He is so intelligent and so interesting to talk with. Also the love and support I receive from him is so uplifting and healing! Everything considered that has transpired the last few weeks, I feel good this evening and hopeful. I'm going to keep fighting and living the best I can! Tomorrow is a brand new day!

Been exploring different types of veggie smoothies the past few days. I have been very impressed by the writings of Jeff Primack (Conquering Any Disease & Smoothie Formulas). His well documented and researched approach to treating cancer and other diseases is very informative and inspiring! He has 6 different veggie smoothies specific developed to fight cancer that I'm currently experimenting with. They are not the most delicious smoothies I have ever drank but I don't care. If they give me a fighting chance, I don't care if they taste like crap! I'm working my way through trying them all. In his first mentioned book he has a procedure to follow that includes mushroom, smoothies, salads, healthy fats, and a few supplements that have been soundly researched to help fight cancer. Reducing stress and exercise is other important parts of his program. His approach is very compatible with what I have already been doing with a few interesting twists that make good sense to me. So I'm viewing this as just a good fine tuning of my nutrition program. You can find out more about Jeff and his approach at Qigong.com. At first his Eastern philosophy may seem a bit out there but then again the Western World approach has not been very good to us health wise. So expand your horizons!

I went to watch my grandson play soccer this morning. Lots of fun. Sitting in the sun felt real good. The long walk to and from the playing field felt real good too! I may try to ride my recumbent bike later on today just to get some more blood flowing and get some oxygen in my system!

I received my new book by Verne Varona, Nature's Cancer-fighring Foods, yesterday. I've just had time to briefly skim it but it seems to be a bit out dated but is very in-depth in the material it does cover. I think it will be a very good resource book for me so I'm very glad I bought it. If I just get a few ideas out of a book then I value it even if it's not cutting edge. Verne is very intelligent and a very good writer who presents the extensive research and theory behind various ideas in the alternative medicine approach in nutritionally fighting cancer. To me I like to know the solid ground of why various methods are put forth. So to me his book is very valuable. I don't like just accepting new ideas whole hog without good supporting data. I will consider new ideas that are just immuring that are still being researched but even then I like to know the foundation knowledge from which it springs!

Feeling very good today. Sleep in and feel very rested. Going to visit my Mom at the nursing home this afternoon. She has Alzheimer's as did my late Dad. Hope I don't have the genes myself. Hoping that the nutrition I am taking for my prostate cancer also protects me from developing Alzheimer's myself. It is such a terrible disease. Both my late Dad and my Mom were both such intelligent and witty people and it is so sad to see that slip away from them. Robbing them of much of who the were. My Mom still has moments of expressing her Irish wit that I get over joyed when that happens. I love the twinkle in her eyes when that happens. I think one of the biggest lessons I am learning from life is that we can't take our health for granted. If we don't take care of our health by good solid nutrition, exercise, stress management, etc. we will lose that which is so important to our quality of life!

Amen on not taking our health for granted! That's why I do what I do-I prefer to stay out of our healthcare system-if you know what I mean!!

Alzheimers is a tough disease-not easy to witness those we love when they are affected-glad to hear about your Mom's moments of "Irish" clarity!

Keep reading my friend & keep posting!! Have a great week!

Just got back from the Pulmonary Doctor. I received the full analysis from the biopsy. As they told me right after the procedure, it is cancer. They were able to pin point that it is a spreading of the prostate cancer and not a new cancer. The Doctor said that the cancer is confined to the lymph nodes in the center chest area and not in the lungs them self. Also there is not a big mass, just the lymph nodes are swollen. Tomorrow I go to the education session on chemotherapy and then Wednesday I see the Ontologist. Barring the heavens open and an sign form God tells me to take the chemo, there is no chance in hell I will! I keep reading scientific study after another and all points that chemotherapy is crap! The little bit it may help in a few cases, most of the time it does more harm than good. I'll stay the source on good nutrition and reasonable supplements, losing weight, exercise, 30 minutes of sunlight a day, and stress management. I'll be a lot better off!

Well, I go to listen to the chemotherapy propaganda, I mean education, session this afternoon. I have been reading a lot of scientific research studies about the effectiveness of chemotherapy, side effects, damage it does to the immune system, etc. Also the finical incentives the drug industry give to the Ontologists to prescribe chemotherapy. And how the big pharmaceuticals control the education of Doctors, medical schools curriculums, and try to beat down Doctors who use alternative medicine approaches. Not a pretty picture! I want to experience one of their education sessions first hand. I will be polite and will listen to what they say but I have a few questions I will ask that I'm sure they will not want to answer directly. We will see!

Went to the chemotherapy education class today. Very interesting. The nurse Jill was very nice and informative but only about issues that may come up dealing with side effects. I felt she was compassionate and caring. However she was not able or was not suppose to address issues about the effectiveness of chemotherapy. She could not give any links to studies about the results pro or con about chemo. She redirected us back to the Doctor. I felt like she knew she was on touchy ground and did not really want to say more. I completely understand. Most of the patients at the prevention had already agree to start the chemo or had already had one or two treatments. So I did not press the issue in respect to them. But I am very concerned that they will or can not give an unbiassed or neutral view about chemo. It is all pro and avoid any contrary views. That only makes sense as that is how they make their money from that approach. It would be too much to ask for them to present anything but that stance. So I have to get additional info else where. I try to get as much solid scientific research data published in peer reviewed and respected medical journals. Also I do see the Ontologist tomorrow and I will ask him some more involved questions.

Ate real clean and healthy today as always. I'm not letting the stress of dealing with this distract me from my vegan approach. Down to ride my bike in a few minutes.

What an eventful last few days for you.......I respect you in taking a step back to realize that the education nurse knew her limitations in providing you the info requested. I'm not surprised she suggested you discuss your issues with your physician. She's there as a sounding board for those already led to the trough of drugs and conventional medicine.

I'm curious to see what the oncologist says..... If he/she doesn't know or care to find answers to your questions, will you keep doc shopping?!? Maybe to someone in the area of progressive, holistic treatment in regards to your type of CA? One who is willing to look at ALL options?!? A doc with a history of unique treatments plans and success?!?

This quest you are on to take control of your health treatment is still admirable....... Your comment on how drs and big pharm companies only benefit each other reminds me of a thought....I've read somewhere that MDs have approx 3 credit hours of nutrition when obtaining the med degree-this is usually associated with the undergrad degree....... How as well as why would they know about nutrition to prevent and/or solve a health problem? Where does it stand to benefit their "business" of helping treat people if everyone was healthy? Physicians stand to benefit the most when people are sick, makes me sick.....Think of the money thrown towards preventative care-the least amount of any!!!! This is a peeve of mine!! Ironically, a majority of my patients have illnesses that are preventable-I too benefit (read as job security) from people being sick and needing anesthesia-saddens me more times than not! Enough of my food for thought!!

Curious to hear more...... Keep up the positive thoughts and good attitude!