Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Problems gaining definition in abs
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:31 pm 
Finch

Hey guys, I am sure that there have been posts about this before, but I never found one in the simple and yet specific terms that I am looking for: what is the best way to gain definition in the Abdominal area. I have lost quite a bit of weight, and I believe that my diet is superb, but it could be lacking. I work abs generally 3-4 nights a week pretty intensely. My diet consists of probably around 7-8 grams of protein a day normally-- without supplements. Any tips? I appreciate it!

Post subject: Re: Problems gaining definition in abs
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:48 pm 
Gorilla

Abs are built in the kitchen. Doing endless ab workouts won't necerally give you a great looking stomach.

Also abs are like any other muscle, Over work them & it'll have a negative effect.

"Don't fall for that crap that people are peddling on the message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn't matter" Jim Wendler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:43 am 
Gorilla

veggiesasquatch wrote:
Abs are built in the kitchen. Doing endless ab workouts won't necerally give you a great looking stomach.

Also abs are like any other muscle, Over work them & it'll have a negative effect.

Bingo. Abs aren't like other muscles that can grow infinitely. If you focus on heavy compound lifts that engage your core, i.e. deadlifts and squats, and your diet is in check with your goals, your abs will start to pop. That is, you will lose the fat that's covering them up. It takes time but Rome wasn't build in a day, you know?

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:12 am 
Gorilla

vegansludge wrote:
veggiesasquatch wrote:

Bingo. Abs aren't like other muscles that can grow infinitely. If you focus on heavy compound lifts that engage your core, i.e. deadlifts and squats, and your diet is in check with your goals, your abs will start to pop. That is, you will lose the fat that's covering them up. It takes time but Rome wasn't build in a day, you know?

Bingo, this is why I try explaining to people that you don't need to dedicate a whole workout just for abs. All I do are really heavy cable crunches once a week. A long with x2 squats, deads is ample.

I may sack off the crunches soon as I'm lifting the whole stack now, weighted ab roll outs Im thinking:)

"Don't fall for that crap that people are peddling on the message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn't matter" Jim Wendler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:32 pm 
Rabbit

You might be over training your abs at this point as the other members also suggested. Moreover, you might need to lose a little more body fat to see those well defined abs.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:39 pm 
Finch

Hmm okay thanks guys... it must just be a layer of fat that is still there on my abs... I am pretty sure that my diet has been superb for the past year or so though... as well as my workout routine. I will just keep working on it! Guess that's all I can do.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:28 pm 
Gorilla

It's strange, losing weight actually made me lose some of my ab definition and it wasn't until I switched up my workout program that I began having it show again.

Vegan Women's Bodybuilding & Fitness on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1421637141388613/

Doing Les Mills Combat and loving it!
http://www.TeaAddictedGeek.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:33 pm 
VBB Moderator Powerlifter & Ultrarunner

Abs come about from a combination of diet and genetics. Training them is great in a functional sense (strengthening tyour core, reducing the chance of a lower back injury etc etc), but if they're covered by a layer(s) of fat you really need to get rid of that before anything else.

Here's a quick photo I got yesterday, I'm not ripped to shreds (I'm a powerlifter not a bodybuilder) but they're visible. I usually train abs once a week for 10mins. I'm not particularly proud of that photo or anything, rather just trying to highlight a point :wink:

If you do heavy compound lifts with good form you will be working the hell out of them on those lifts, train them just like you would do any other muscle group.

Attachments:
2.jpg
2.jpg [ 20.88 KiB | Viewed 2060 times ]

Image @MiniForklift
WEB: http://www.jimsty.wix.com/strength-vs-size
FB: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mini-Forklift/161273440616736?ref=hl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:50 pm 
Gorilla

^ to much of a waist for a powelifter & where's your beanie hat???

Only joking mate, strong as fuck & an awesome physic. This is what's called the "money shot" I believe?

I miss my action man pelvis & abs. I'm to hairy & thick skinned to ever get ripped, also I'm practically cover in tattoo now anyway lol could get my current work lasered off & get some sweet abs inked?

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:41 pm 

Hahaha, I don't own a beanie. Might have to buy one if it will make me look more like a proper PL'er?

Image @MiniForklift

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:01 pm 
Gorilla

Also grow an angry looking beard ;)

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:04 pm 
Gorilla

Last edited by veggiesasquatch on Fri May 11, 2012 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:05 pm 

veggiesasquatch wrote:
Also grow an angry looking beard ;)

I quite often have that, I'm a lazy shaver.

Image @MiniForklift

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:15 pm 
Gorilla

Mines pretty wild atm, my other half saying its a women repeller. I obviously replies with "shame I didn't have one four years ago then".

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:59 pm 

Haha.

My wife hates the beard, but she'd be happy to know it's a woman repeller. I might have to tell her that next time I'm looking like a yeti.

Image @MiniForklift