Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Martial Arts And Weight Training
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:26 pm 
Gorilla

Basically I hit the weights and strength training on certain days, and practice Hung Gar on other days.

For those of you who also practice martial arts, tell me how you incorporate these two types of training?

Post subject: Re: Martial Arts And Weight Training
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:49 am 
Gorilla

This video helped me out heaps with this same question a few years ago.

I know it says nutrition but he talks about working out and adapting that to training.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:23 pm 
Rabbit

I have a black belt in taekwondo. I think that the weight training has helped a great deal by making me stronger and giving me more endurance. I usually train on Monday Wednesday and Friday, and I do taekwondo on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The taekwondo keeps me limber and helps stretch my muscles. It has also helped my balance. I have very bad feet so balance has always been an issue. I hired a trainer and he incorporated a lot of martial arts - type moves into my workouts -- like one-legged tables, etc. I worked with a trainer for about a year and a half, then hired one again six weeks before my black belt test. It really helped get me in shape with lots of cardio so I could survive the test. And it also helped me fine-tune what I should eat before the test. You know how that goes -- too much and you feel sick, too little and you run out of gas. There is no eating OR drinking during a black belt test. It was brutal, but hey -- if it was easy, everybody would be a black belt, right?

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:29 am 
Rabbit

What I try to do is mix it up...in a fight(mma) what happens? Two guys square off, standing, striking, once one guy has an advantage things hit the ground, wrestling, jui jitsu, grappling, once back on your feet your arms and core are tired, worn out but your standing and there is a dude still trying to punch you in the face! With this in mind, the way I train is I do weights and striking in the same sessions, typically I do weights before striking to simulate real fatigue in a fight. Another thought is, lift weights in the manner of the results you wish to accomplish, for instance if you want a faster more explosive and powerful punch, don't do chest press slowly. "Specific adaptations" is what we call this. Do weights in the movements and speeds you wish to increase.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:47 pm 
Finch

I am a jiu-jitsu practitioner, and once I started I put down the weights. Yoga when I can find the time. I've never been this strong, bigger muscles need more blood, as Bas Rutten says...Nick Diaz doesn't lift weights.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:30 am 
Batman

I train in taekwondo which i do every wednesday, this often includes bodyweight exercises so i weight train monday and friday and use wednesday as a cardio/bodyweight/stretching workout as well as martial arts training, been doing it for a few months and getting my full yellow belt in a couple of months!

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
There's only one thing I'm riding at 6am, and it's not a bike!

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=29098
http://www.facebook.com/ross.d.cosgrove