Where do you fall on the technology sliding scale?

Geek or Luddite?  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

OK, brace yourself...are you sitting down? I have only one portable, technological device, it's a phone, and I only use it to make emergency calls. And I mean emergency like, "I wonder, while I'm sitting here in the New Seasons parking lot, if the library has that book in yet that I put on hold?" and "Does Home Depot close in one hour or two?" I suppose I could punch in 9, 1, and 1 if the occasion called for it but I tend to be at the top of a mountain or next to a 140-foot waterfall in the deep, dark forest at the time and, frankly the situation has never really called for it. I have Ace Bandages and Neosporin in my backpack, I figure I could fend off a bear or a group of teen-aged hikers with that.

Whenever my phone contract comes up and they ask me in that over eager, chirpy voice, "Can I show you the latest model that can--?" I pleasantly intervene with my predictable and succinct: No, thanks. I have a phone. It's not broken yet. If it breaks, I'll get another phone. No, I don't need internet access, GPS capability, or "apps." No, I don't need extra minutes, extended hours, or a special rate that allows me to gab ad infinitum with a select cyber coven of family and friends. No, I have never, nor will I ever, text. (I usually pause here to watch the young Sprint sales representative's eyes widen and his skin tone blanch a bit in shock. It's fun.) My three requirements are 1. It's cheap; 2. It has clear sound and has a wide range; and 3. I can hit all the buttons with my fingers without squinting and cursing.

I'm not against technology, far from it. My entire living room is an over-sized desk built to worship at the alter of the internet. But to me, Facebook is when you gently drape a novel over your eyes so you can lay back in the soft June grass and catch a nap in the sun. Bluetooth is what you get when you eat summer-sweetened blackberries right off the vine. Blu-ray is when the late afternoon light shines through my cobalt colored bowls and turns the carpet into a tidepool in Maui. Delicious life experiences, all of them, and batteries not included. When I play the If I Had a Million Dollars Game, I never pick electronic devices. I pick private weekend cabin packages in the Canadian Rockies, kiteboarding lessons, and giant piles of exotic vegan foods that I've heard about but never possessed the financial liquidity to try.

I've read somewhere that a good measure of mental and emotional health is what a person does when they find themselves standing in line, waiting for something. Faced with a sudden wealth of unscheduled time like this, the brain immediately goes to it's default setting. What's yours? Do you look around, seeking outside stimulation? Do you get angry because you are more invested in your thwarted plans than this moment? Do you engage people around you for a hit of conversation to pass the time? Or do you return to a pleasant daydream like a child eagerly returns to the adventures in a favorite storybook? Not including sleep or work, how many hours a day do you spend at an activity that requires no electricity?

It's spring and it's gorgeous outside. Just sayin'.

Baby Herc

For the most part, I keep the tech stuff to a minimum. After 10 years without a cell phone, I finally was convinced to buy a cheap "burner" phone, the $25 I loaded on it back in January still has $23.25 in balance left, if that says anything about how much I use it My wife's phone serves as the main way to get in contact with me (considering we're together 90% of the day), my phone only goes with me to the gym or if I'm on the road for a while. I've never understood how people can feel compelled to have to fiddle around with their phones every free moment that they're not focused on something else.

I sit at a computer for work for the bulk of my day, so when I'm done, the last thing that sounds entertaining is numbing my mind with more computer stuff. Perhaps I'll poke around to look something up later in the evening for a few minutes, but not much urge to be plugged if I'm not doing something work-related, I get plenty during that time. Aside from a few lifting-related forums I still post at, I've managed to sever most ties with things that dominated too much free time over the years.

Television, I might DVR a few random shows to put on while eating a late dinner and relaxing for an hour or two, but there's nothing I obligate myself to feeling the need to be home to watch regularly. Otherwise, we've got a massive DVD library, usually it'll be movie night at the end of the day as we head off to bed to drift off while listening to something we've watched a dozen times before.

Other that that, I can go either way with technology. For the most part, it doesn't affect my life outside work one way or the other, since it's not a hobby for me to get that cool new phone they're pushing down at the mall and I don't have much interest in spending time with social media stuff or other time-wasters. These days, when I'm not stuck at the office late, I'd much rather be spending my time working in the back yard fixing things up for summer, in the gym lifting, taking a nice long walk, or sipping a margarita at one of the nearby lakes. MUCH more enjoyable to me than burning my retinas starting at digital gibberish all night!

We got our first family computer when I was seven years old and I haven't gone more than maybe three days since then without touching one.

I guess I don't have a lot of devices, but that's because I don't have a lot of money. I have a Zune that's pretty old for an mp3 player, a cell phone that is a glorified alarm clock, a five year old laptop, my desktop, and if we're counting digital cameras, my rebel which is also five years old. We actually have two xboxes because we don't have cable and that's how we watch tv, one was my father-in-law's, he's a total gadget whore and when we ditched cable he told me I could have his to watch t.v. on. I also have an ipod touch that's a loaner so I can play games with people, that was also from my FIL because he got an iphone to go with his four other ipods, ipad, and he has docks and bluetooth speakers and every other accessory for each. He also gave us his old GPS so he could get a nicer one.

Basically, I don't buy new toys unless the old toys have broken, and all of the stuff I currently have has survived pretty well so it's all really out of date.

When i'm standing in line I usually go for the 'stare off and daydream' option.

it bothers me that im so dependent on technology. like i need a good mp3 player (ipod) to get through a workout...and ive gotten used to having a smart phone and internet access anywhere. but beyond that i try to resist. i detest kindle and all the facebook spinoffs. i drove my car until she literally died, and im doing the same with my pc and my laptop...

I admit I'm spoiled by the convenience of technology and I like it most days! I'm a product of a tech savvy husband and kids who are growing up in a portable, technological world. I'm talking about a 3rd grader who knows proper typing/keyboarding skills and prefers to do her reports on the computer after Internet research!! Yeah-I've got to keep up or I'll be lost in their world!

With that said, I'm simple with technology (at least simple when compared to other geeks!). I do believe in paying for technology as long as it LASTs and is user friendly. My first iPhone (can't remember which version other than it was in early 2009) lasted for 3 years-had to replace after software updates goofed up software! My iphone doesnt contain hundreds of apps-i use it more for calculator, email, texting, camera, & internet for quick look ups!!

I'm using same laptop (another Mac) from 10/07!!! Works great!! Also, im driving same car - now 6 yrs old and paid off!!

I enjoy the convenience of a kindle BUT still like the feel of a book in my hands.

Yes-I like technology.......our electric bill reads like a stock report!

Man, great responses! Thanks for sharing your stories, guys.

This bit called "On Topic - Technology - The Internet" on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart is screamin' hilarious. I love Jon Stewart, his facial expressions just send me. At the end of this segment, another one starts up automatically called "Technology: Mobile Devices" that pokes fun at cellphones. I got an ab workout laughing at it. http://www.thedailyshow.com/

For more abdominal targeting, watch this:

If you don't get the orange joke, see the reader comments. Can any of you blokes and lasses in the UK tell me what region these two are from based on their accents?

Baby Herc

Lots and lots of technology. Always have a phone (rooted Android) and iPod touch on me. I have an old Kindle and a Kindle Fire for reading. One general-purpose laptop, one work laptop, another in the workout room, plus another 3 that are my gf's. We watch TV and movies through a home-built home theater PC pushing full HDMI and 7.1, which also streams to any other computer or xbox on the wireless network. The network is extended through a couple of DD-WRT retasked routers for additional range. The house is wired for speakers from the living room to the master bed, the basement, and the rear deck. And we have plenty of video games.

We keep costs down by building our own machines whenever possible, buying cheap and upgrading, and waiting for deals. Oh, and tailoring specs to our needs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
OK, brace yourself...are you sitting down? I have only one portable, technological device, it's a phone, and I only use it to make emergency calls. And I mean emergency like, "I wonder, while I'm sitting here in the New Seasons parking lot, if the library has that book in yet that I put on hold?" and "Does Home Depot close in one hour or two?" I suppose I could punch in 9, 1, and 1 if the occasion called for it but I tend to be at the top of a mountain or next to a 140-foot waterfall in the deep, dark forest at the time and, frankly the situation has never really called for it. I have Ace Bandages and Neosporin in my backpack, I figure I could fend off a bear or a group of teen-aged hikers with that.

I'm a total tech geek. I have a smartphone, netbook, laptop, desktop, iPod, and Kindle. I'm also a software engineer so this is sorta in the "to be expected" category, right up with there with my two Blu-Ray players and HD flat screen tvs.

I don't consider it to be contradictory to enjoy tech and still get out and love the great outdoors. I thrive in warmth and sun.