Do you have this in your cupboard or medicine cabinet?

Baby Hercules

Eating vegan is fairly straightforward and easy to do: if it's a plant, it ain't an animal, so it's vegan (algae notwithstanding). What's not always clear is where non-food companies sneak animals into their products. Keep in mind that "some [companies] have persisted in inaccurately labeling their products as free of animal ingredients even though it is a fact that honey, lanolin, etc., are animal products. Our advice is always to read the entire label before believing such a statement..." That's a direct quote from PETA.

Here's another head-scratcher: "No specific laws exist regarding cruelty-free labeling of products, so companies can take liberties. While it is unlikely that a company would put blatantly false information about its animal testing practices on its products, the statements that it does make might not be fully informative and might indeed mislead consumers." So, I guess things are handled pretty fast and loose out there.

Years and years ago, I printed out PETA's list of companies that test on animals and systematically removed everything in my house on the list. The energy of the place immediately felt better and I have maintained the practice in every possible circumstance to this day. You can find PETA's list here: http://www.peta.org/living/beauty-and-personal-care/companies/default.aspx Don't forget to dispose of caustic and other nasty household cleaning products at a Hazardous Waste Facility instead of just tossing them in the trash or down the drain.

Even if you only switch a few things out for cruelty-free versions, you'll feel the relief. Try it this month. Call it Vegan Spring Cleaning.

Baby Herc

• 1 month later...
Good tip. Have you gone back and gotten an updated version? If you printed it out years ago it has likely changed a lot over the years.

Yes, I have, thanks. Anytime I consider changing brands or trying a new product, I check. Luckily, our New Seasons Markets are known for carrying predominantly cruelty-free stuff so that makes it easier.

Baby Herc