RC 2.0

Thanks man. That is what I usually do, known for doing 8 sets or more for deadlifts, but I got the idea that I wanted to be "fresh" to go for heavier lifts early in the workout. I'm not sure if that is what bit me, or just the fact that the lower back was going go out no matter what that day. It was feeling a bit stiff when doing squats about 4 days prior and it was just one of those things.

Luckily it seems to be slowly getting better and I'll be doing massage therapy this week, hot tubs, sauna, stretching, tons of resting the lower back to focus on arms, shoulders, etc. and eating a ton of whole fresh foods.

I absolutely will warm up a lot more in the future though.

Thanks for checking in on my journal. I'm working hard these days. Quietly working on a comeback to the bodybuilding stage

Thanks for your support, as always! This is the start of your 4th year on the forum. So happy to have you here!

-Robert

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5/15/12

I trained abs today.

It went like this:

Warm-up:

Spin bike for 15 minutes

Forward crunches

Left side crunches

Right side crunches

Workout:

Hanging Knee Raises

Plank

75 seconds

80 seconds

90 seconds

60 seconds

60 seconds

60 seconds

Slow Hanging Knee Raises with pause at top

Then I sat in the sauna for 20 or 30 minutes and did some relaxing and sweating.

Dinner now and then hopefully not a very late night. About midnight now. Last night I didn't fall asleep until somewhere after 4AM. I am not very good at falling asleep. I just lie there for a long time wishing I could fall asleep. Oh well, onward.

5/16/12

Today I worked out in the sun in the early evening after shipping out all of the NYNY essay contest prize packages.

I got the workout done early so I could watch the Thunder vs. Lakers game online tonight. Go Thunder!

Today's workout went like this:

Warm-up

Walk in the sun for 30+ minutes

Forward arm circles

Backward arm circles

Workout:

Narrow grip pull-ups

Wide grip pull-ups

Push-ups

I'll probably be shrugging tomorrow. Looking forward to it!

I might even get to bed early tonight.

I'm very happy to announce that I completed the T. Colin Campbell Plant-Based Nutrition Certification Course tonight!

High Fives!

Now I have a certification in Plant-Based Nutrition from Cornell University. I learned so much over the past 6 weeks. What an outstanding course!

Yeah, this is the log I've been working from the past couple of months. I fell behind with the other one. I even still have all the workouts on paper, some of them typed up, but it was over the course of many weeks and I figured it was a better use of time to just start over.

Then I started a new journal (this one) and the first few days into it, snapped my wrist and had to take a 2-week break. But, back at it!

Off to go shrug now! Expect a report soon!

5/17/12

1PM

Warm-up

Spin bike for 15 min

Lateral Raises

12.5s x 12

15s x 10

20s x 10

25s x 8

Front Raises

12.5s x 12

15s x 10

20s x 10

25s x 8

Rear Delt Raises

12.5s x 12

15s x 10

20s x 10

25s x 8

Behind the back barbell shrugs

225lbs x 10

315lbs x 10

315lbs x 7

405lbs x 2 brief holds

Dumbbell Overhead Press

50s x 10

55s x 10

60s x 6

65s x 3

More Lateral Raises to keep warm while doing more shrugs

15s x 10

15s x 10

15s x 10

15s x 10

More Front Raises to keep warm while doing more shrugs

15s x 10

15s x 10

15s x 10

15s x 10

More Barbell Shrugs

315lbs x 5

225lbs x 15

225lbs x 15

275lbs x 10

Then I went home and ate and went to a Dead Prez show.

Heading to Bone Breaker Barbell this weekend!

5/18/12

Today I slept in since I was out until 3AM with Dead Prez, and didn't get to sleep until 4AM ish.

Photo of me and Stic from last night after the show. He posted this online today.

?id=731216026&l=7725c6eb56&pid=10108079

Today's workout was abdominals

It went like this:

Warm-up

Spin bike for 10 minutes

Forward crunches

Left side crunches

Right side crunches

Workout:

Hanging leg raises

Lying Leg raises

Plank

Getting late, better get to bed soon.

Good solid weekend of training coming up!

5/19/12

I took a rest day today.

I spent about 20 minutes in the sauna and 10 minutes in the hot tub. I had a really large dinner and enjoyed the Thunder come from behind win to beat the Lakers!

Great stuff! Go Thunder!

Bone Breaker Gym tomorrow!

5/20/12

Today I woke up feeling a bit under-powered but I was heading to Bone Breaker Barbell nonetheless and that got me pumped up to some degree.

Even when I showed up I was feeling a bit tired, perhaps under-rested, but I got my workout in and picked up the pace. I ended up lifting over 500 pounds with my upper body, something I've only done once before, so it ended up being a pretty solid workout.

Today's workout went like this:

Warm-up

Jog in the sun for 10 minutes

Forward arm circles

Backward arm circles

Workout:

2-arm hammer grip bicep curls

65lbs x 10

65lbs x 12

85lbs x 10

85lbs x 12

105lbs x 6

95lbs x 10

Behind the back barbell shrugs

315lbs x 15

315lbs x 15

405lbs x 12

506lbs x 2

455lbs x 10

455lbs x 7

405lbs x 12

405lbs x 12

Push-ups

Then I was exhausted, like I was before the workout but even more so.

Got to bed early.

5/21/12

Thanks SunWarrior.

Traps feel fine actually. Maybe I should have trained harder! I've been shrugging about twice per week so I'm pretty used to it, at high volume.

I took a rest day today because I'm still not feeling quite 100%.

Sat in the hot tub and sauna for a bit, drank more water than usual, had 2 lemons and other fruit.

I should probably get to bed.

Thunder beat the Lakers Big Time, as I predicted.

Pretty pumped about that!

5/22/12

Took another day off today.

Feeling under the weather and spending the majority of the day in bed.

This is my first real cold since last summer. It has been a full year since the last time I had a full-on cold.

Bummer, but I'll keep resting up and should bounce back in a few days.

5/23/12

With my current cold, I coughed and threw my back out. Now I'm crawling around the floor like a baby. Some soreness and damage to the lower back I've experienced from squat and deadlift injuries. I tweaked my back 2 weeks ago doing deadlifts and it hasn't been the same since.

Today the force of my cough pulled something and I have a ton of nerve pinching and nerve damage going on right now.

I'm done training for a while. I kinda knew this day was coming since I made a return to deadlifts (and squats) after about 7 years away from both exercises due to injuries they cause.

It happens.

I have plenty of other things to focus on. The pain is quite intense though, which is rather frustrating.

Oh well, on to other things.

Thanks Ben. I'm not sure what to do. I haven't been able to walk since yesterday. Mike is coming over tomorrow afternoon to try to do some work on my back. I think it will just take time.

I've had this type of injury happen about half a dozen times. It is always a bummer and has been happening since 2001. I think I'm just going to stop weight training and find some other interest. I'm thinking of playing poker, maybe even running.

I'll let you know how I'm feeling tomorrow. Thanks man.

PS, I leave TX in about a week for 2.5 months. Taking off to head east for a while.

Just give up the deadlifts and back squats. Insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different outcomes! Many people just aren't biomechanically suited for deadlifts - there are so many factors. And there are so many exercises to choose from! Why bother getting injured just because something is popular? The oldtime strongmen didn't do barbell squats - hell, many of them didn't even have barbells! And they found a way to be in great shape and super strong! Don't keep getting injured Robert! Veganism needs you in your top shape...

Thanks all. I'm taking things a day at a time and trying to figure out what steps to do next. Did some massage therapy for my back today and that was nice. Will do more in two days, and maybe chiropractor mixed in there somewhere too. I take off in less than a week for an 800+ mile drive. I spent more than 2 hours in the car today and I was OK, so I think the drive will be fine. After that, I have another 2000 miles or so to drive over the next two weeks. So if I don't get some chiropractic work done before I leave in a few days, I'll do it along the way. I have multiple weddings to attend, one talk to give, and a bunch of people to visit as I drive from to Rhode Island with many winding and even back-tracking trips along the way.

I also want to start playing poker again, for fun

I went to Bone Breaker Barbell today but I just received a sports massage, and I watched my forum buddy bartonx7 train through a leg workout. He did a great job and set a new personal best for barbell squats. Congrats, Bart!

Gotta start packing for my 2.5 month traveling adventure ahead of me. Leaving in a few days.

• 3 weeks later...

I tend to agree with Chewy regarding the DL's ~ lots of warmup sets although the reps don't necessarily need to be that high. Just want to make sure you are in the groove and all of your primary and secondary muscles are warmed up and prepared for the heavier stuff.

I just got some samples of the Vega range that you sorted out for me, and I gotta say I love them. Thanks so much for doing that out Robert, expect an order soon once I have tried them all out. I will write back to him, really appreciate the trouble he went to.

538634_10150896245043720_1778058443_n.jpg

Taste & mixability is superb and I really like the serving of Omega's in there that you don't get with regular proteins. Top notch stuff! What website do you think I would be best to order through considering I am in New Zealand? Giacomo said to email him directly and he'll sort something out but I have a few friends here that use it and the told me to order it through iherb as Vega doesn't send out to NZ? Sorry for all the questions

Hope you are well btw, take care MF.

Cool!

Yeah, just order through www.veganproteins.com - Giacomo's the one who sent that stuff out to you.

He ships all over the world (just like iherb or others, but he's an all-vegan store and a forum member and he sent the stuff out

So if you like anything specific or if any of your friends do you and do end up ordering, www.veganproteins.com would be a great place to do so.

Thanks for posting!

I'm still unable to train, still can't walk properly without pain and I'm saying goodbye to exercises like deadlifts. I know others will tell me to just take some time to rest and get back into it, but I don't want to. I suffer a severe injury nearly every year and I just don't want to go through it anymore.

I started playing cards and might take up running or table tennis or something like that moving forward. I'm excited about doing new things.

Thanks for your support, as always!

Robert

• 1 month later...