Chewy's Strength Log

Tue 1st May 2012

Went into the gym today for some mobility work. Warmed up, done various squats with an empty bar. Worked up on overhead squats to 35kg x5 (bar was way too far back at the top, needs practice). Then some snatch grip high pulls just with 60kg (deadlifting tomorrow) - more just to see if i could actually flatten out at the bottom. Got a few videos and definitely improved towards the end. Lots of doubles, last set;

Then some hamstring/groin stretches to finish up.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wed 2nd May 2012

Bodyweight = 84.5kg

Front squat (no belt)

5x5x80kg (paused all reps in last set)

Close grip bench

1x12x67.5kg

DB Bench

1x10x32.5kg DBs

Sumo deadlift (no belt)

1x5x130kg

1x5x150kg

1x5x170kg

1x1x180kg

Speed pulls (conventional)

5x2x85kg

OHP

5x5x50kg

All in all a good session. Finished deadlifts with only slight discomfort in groin after last 2 sets. It's maybe time to start a program with sumo's, they're feeling comfy.

Nice OHP mate
Cheers man. Came out of nowhere. Over the last 2 or 3 weeks I'd took 50kg for a single set of 5 and they felt like death. Felt quite easy for 5 sets.

Fri 4th May 2012

Bodyweight = 84.5kg

Squat (no belt)

3x5x100kg

Bench

3x8x60kg

Pendlay rows

1x5x60kg

5x5x65kg

Assisted GHRs

3x10

Weighted dips

1x8x5kg

1x8x10kg

1x10x15kg

Burned out from this point on;

Chins

Pushups

Had a good workout, was just myself for a change. Glad I have a couple of days rest, beasted it this week. Yesterday I done some overhead squats and barbell complexes with an empty bar.

I think I'm gonna ditch close grip bench, I always feel shitty after it. It's funny, most people get shoulder pain from wide grip then switch to close grip - but close grip just feels way more awkward for me (i'm not going super close or anything). It's always when you try to complicate things and add to many variations and exercises that stuff like this happens.

It's nothing serious, just feeling a bit dodgy.

OHP has fast become my favourite lift since getting on 5/3/1...mainly because I hadn't trained a proper strict barbell press before it. I used dumbbell for pressing. So my ohp is pretty wank really but I have made gains.I programmed it off a low 1rm of 50kg in the hope to build a proper base for it, along with boring but big. On my 5/3/1 week last cycle 50kg was my 1 rep set & I smashed out 7 with little trouble, keeping a fair few back as I'd come off a 12hr night shift & headed right to the gym with bbb as the assistance so was pleased.

Glad to see your back hitting it man.....keep after it

Good stuff veggie

Mon 7th May 2012

Bodyweight = 84.6kg

Club closed for bank holiday, workout in the house;

Squat (no belt)

1x5x110kg

1x5x120kg

1x3x130kg

1x1x140kg (equal old PB, and much much deeper)

1x1x150kg (beltless PB +10kg)

5x5x110kg

Bench

1x5x70kg

1x5x80kg

1x3x85kg

1x1x90kg

1x1x95kg (+5kg PB. old was 90x2, i was also 4-5kg heavier BW then)

150kg squat at 1:10

95kg bench at 4:55

Worked the full weekend at work, went out saturday night again. So very little sleep and a lot of time on my feet. I felt really shitty today, joints in my upper body were sore throughout. Had to pop on the wrist wraps for the first time in a while, wrists were killing during bench from the first warmup set. I honestly have no idea where that bench PB came from. I knew benching was going well recently, but not PB territory. Squats my old 140kg beltless is years old (haven't attempted beltless maxes since then), but it was most likely high. Squats today were undboutedly below parallel.

Tue 8th May 2012

Pendlay Rows

5x5x80kg

Went to the gym to see my workout partner through his workout, he got a squat PB at 117.5kg

Done some rows while I was in. Pretty solid but using my lower back too much. Pretty sure I'm starting a new cycle next week so will concentrate on keeping it motionless with lighter weight.

Fri 11th May 2012

Squats (no belt)

3x5x90kg (pause first and last rep)

Front Squats

1x5x70kg (pause first and last rep)

1x5x90kg (pause first and last rep)

1x5x100kg

OHP

1x5x40kg

1x5x50kg

BB curls

3x10x20kg

OHP (behind neck, wide grip)

1x5x30kg

2x5x40kg

Todays workout was a bit of a mess. For the last couple of weeks during bench when unracking the bar (whether myself or getting a handoff) my forearms/wrists have been very sore (monday I was going to do more benching at the end but unracked 70kg for a rep out set and it was too sore). Also on Monday my shoulders/arms been very uncomfortable with the bar on my back for squats.

Have a couple of theories of what it can be, i'm going with either fucking about with olympic lifts (I've injured myself in the past trying hang cleans) or close grip bench press (feels very uncomfortable). Just my whole arm/shoulder area feels like shit and strained. Should heal up as long as I take it easy.

I need to get back to doing some OHP's, has been a while. Nice work with all the videos, definately adds that extra dimension to a journal

Do you incorporate deficit deads from time to time mate? I have always found with myself and my clients that they are great for improving grip strength, power and further developing strength through the lumbar region. I don't have a platform at the main gym I lift at, but I improvise with the 20kg plates:

310526_192629757481104_161273440616736_442132_1977041737_n.jpg

I usually just work up to a final set of 140-160 pulling from a couple of plates.

Do you incorporate deficit deads from time to time mate?
I think I've done them once or twice before (long time ago). I've saw some of the lifters at our club do them as well. My deadlifts were always very fast off the floor so I never seen the need for them. Now, pulling sumo I've noticed I'm slow off the floor with a good lockout. I don't see deficit sumo pulls that often and I'm still trying to get used to the form so probably won't be bringing them in for a while, cheers for the suggestion though!

How have found the swap from conventional to sumo?

I tried switching a while back, but I just don't have that flexibility/power through the hips to make them work for me. Most I ever puled sumo was 160, versus 200 pulling conventional style.

All comes down to your individual biomechanics at the end of the day, I'm just not suited well for sumo although if I could make it work I would definately make the switch.

Nice work man!! OHP is coming on nicely!!

I finally was fortunate enough to bump into the Scottish powerlifting chap today, whom I've heard a lot About. He's a fucking beast!!! Asked him to have a look at my deads & he pointed out a couple of small things, like coming a little narrower with my stance as an example.

Nice guy, wouldn't wanna take a Slap off of him

How have found the swap from conventional to sumo?
It feels like a completely different lift for me. The reason I switched was for the life of me I could not pull conventional without rounding my back. I tried taking the weight down and building back up a couple of times but think it was just stuck in my brain. I never got injured, but it would only have been a matter of time.

To be honest I really don't like sumo. It's uncomfortable, setup's a pain in the arse, stupidly slow off the floor at higher weights. Although my lockout is faster, holding it at the top is uncomfortable. But at the same time I can keep my back straight at decent weights (but can't really compare poundages because I haven't had the belt on yet). My beltless 5RM can't be far behind my conventional. I've done 170x6 beltless sumo, and highest beltless conventional i think is somewhere between 175-180 x5.

I'm going to keep plodding away with it though. I have a bad feeling I won't get as much out of a belt on sumo.

Nice work man!! OHP is coming on nicely!!

I finally was fortunate enough to bump into the Scottish powerlifting chap today, whom I've heard a lot About.

Cheers, I don't know where my 5x5x50 came from, because 1x5x50 felt like shit tonight. But I was concentrating more on why my wrists were hurting so damn bad (I didn't setup great either).

Who is this scottish powerlifter you speak of, is it someone who lifts at your gym?

Yes mate a guy who lifts at my gym. A few people have mentioned him to me when they ask what stuff I'm doing.

He was training a couple of people to squat so I heard his accent I  went & said hi, obviously with the intension to pick his brain (as I often do). Got chatting about 5/3/1, dc & various things. Beast of a guy, his leg were huge! He's in the company of some serious lifters, Andy Bolton being one. 

You have the 5x5x50 in you, let the wrist issue settle down. I like going with a false grip on OHP.

Right so basically after a few days I've isolated the injuries a bit. My left shoulder is sore in the bottom bench position. It hurts even if I just move my arm into that position without any load. The wrist/forearm issue seems to be separate and on both sides. The shoulder stops me from flat benching/low bar squatting. The forearms kinda stop me from using any decent weight on any pressing movement. Will be trying my best to work around it.

High Bar Smolov - Intro Cycle

Running this off 130kg - never done that high bar but sure I could do much more

Mon 14th May 2012

Bodyweight = 83kg (dehydrated/not eating much after getting pissed on Saturday)

Squat

3x8x85kg

1x5x90kg

2x2x97.5kg

1x1x105kg

Bench

5x5x70kg (this was before I realised how bad my shoulder was)

Pullups

15, 7, 8 (15 is a best ever even for chins. and this was wide grip pullups)

GHR (assisted)

3x10

Tue 15th May 2012

Squat

3x8x85kg

1x5x90kg

2x2x97.5kg

1x1x105kg

then some box jumps, worked to a height for 3x5

Wed 16th May 2012

Bodyweight = 83.5kg

Squat

4x5x90kg

1x3x97.5kg

2x2x105kg

1x1x117.5kg

OHP (behind the neck, very wide grip)

5x5x35kg

Speed deadlifts

8x3x110kg

Some machine flies and tricep rope extensions

How do you find Smolov, is it as full on as it looks on paper?
Too soon to tell man, this is just the introductory cycle and it's not based off a recent max so I can't really comment on it anyway.

Thu 17th May 2012

DB Lunges (for stretching...not gonna lie though still had to work to balance)

3x8x15kg DBs

Some side to side box jumps

Fri 18th May 2012

Bodyweight = 83.5kg

Bulgarian split squats

3x8

Incline bench (less awkward on shoulder)

4x10x45kg

Barbell Rows

4x5x60kg

1x10x60kg

Dips

3x10

Mon 21st May 2012

Bodyweight = 83.2kg

Squat

1x3x100kg

2x2x110kg

Bench

5x5x40kg (light weight just to restore some ROM in my shoulder - felt good. no pain)

Hammer grip DB bench

1x10x20kg DBs

1x10x25kg DBs

1x6x25kg DBs

1x9x25kg DBs

Deadlift

3x5x140kg (conventional, no belt. just felt like it. felt easy, good back position)

Chins

16, 10, 5

Good workout. Can feel my shoulder noticably getting better. If I keep building up the flat bench gradually restoring my full range of painless motion in shoulder, I reckon be good as new within a fortnight. The chinups are a PB, but because I was using the bar at the club which is about a foot away from the wall I kept swinging into the damn thing (doesn't happen so much with pullups). My mate got a video will post later.

Good work mate ~ probably more of a pullup than a chinup, no? Chinups I always think of as an overhand movement.

You should have grinded your way to 20 reps haha.

Nah man, chinups are underhand or neutral grip, pullups are overhand. Believe me, if I could've grinded out an extra couple I would've went for it haha.

Weather's fucking amazing in Scotland this week. Yesterday was spent at the beach and kicking a football about, immensely enjoyed it.

Wed 23rd May 2012

Bodyweight = 83.6kg

Squat

1x5x100kg

1x3x110kg

OHP

5x5x50kg

Pendlay Rows

3x5x71kg

Assisted GHRs

3x10

Lots of stretching then went to the park and kicked a ball about. OHP wasn't easy but got through it.