Anyone eat Chlorella and/or Spirulina?

Just curious if you all eat either. I've been eating it on/off for the past year. The past few months I've been pretty consistent and eating about 9g spirulina/6g chlorella.

If you are eating it, how long and what positive changes have you noticed in your body/health.

I went through a phase where I craved spirulina and wheat grass something silly. I ate it all the time, mixed with nothing but water. Then, I didn't want it anymore. Now, I'm starting to crave wheat grass again. I listen to my body: there must be an essential component in the specific make up of wheat grass that my body wants. Listen to your body. Don't eat something because others tell you to. Eat it because you want it. Listen.

Baby Herc

Listen to your body. Don't eat something because others tell you to. Eat it because you want it. Listen.

What if my body is telling me to eat a 1 lb. package of vegan graham crackers? There might be a problem with that

I've taken some chlorella tablets here and there, but never in a high enough dosage to really notice anything. Always considered taking a good amount more just to see how I fare with it, maybe this fall as I'm trying to jam in new protein sources, it'll be time to give it a shot!

• 10 months later...
Listen to your body. Don't eat something because others tell you to. Eat it because you want it. Listen.

What if my body is telling me to eat a 1 lb. package of vegan graham crackers?

That's not your body talking, that's your emotions. And you know that already, Mr. Smartypants.

Baby Herc

• 6 months later...

Spirulina is great, a truly nutrient dense food. I love it and and used it for many years. Adequate intake of greens and plant type foods should cover the iron side of things. But in terms of supplements, spirulina is an excellent natural source of iron; the reason why the iron in spirulina is so bioavailable is because the iron forms soluble complexes with Phycocyanin. This iron-phycocyanin complex allows easier absorption by the body. Iron and B12 levels are dependant on one another, so if the diet is good then they this isn't something that you need to be overly concerned about.

B12 deficiency is a common 'myth' with vegetarians, but if they have their diet on point and are consuming lots of leafy veges (any greens you can wrap around your fingers such as kale, spinach, silverbeet etc) usually do not have this problem. It's just knowing what food types to eat to meet B12 requirements (which incidentally aren't that much). Fermented foods such as Tofu, Tempeh, Miso, Shoyu and Tamari have good levels of B12, oily fish such as salmon or mackeral, beans, nuts & seeds, papaya and banana. So it is a misconception that you can only get B12 through meat alone.

I have blue-green algae, chlorella, and spirulina once or twice a day. All are very good for you..BGA being the best.

blue green algae was the first organism on the planet, and spawned all others.. therefore it is the most important.

its fatty acid content mirrors the human brains. the next closest is probably hemp.

Its a good source of protein and chlorophyll and minerals.

Ive heard claims that it can remove heavy metals from the bloodstream and help repair broken dna.. I wouldn't be surprised.

All I know is that I feel really good when eating a lot of this and fresh wheatgrass juice. Joints feel better, recover quicker.

I went through a phase where I craved spirulina and wheat grass something silly. I ate it all the time, mixed with nothing but water. Then, I didn't want it anymore. Now, I'm starting to crave wheat grass again. I listen to my body: there must be an essential component in the specific make up of wheat grass that my body wants. Listen to your body. Don't eat something because others tell you to. Eat it because you want it. Listen.

Baby Herc

Totally agree. I crave sweets all the time especially during winter. So my diet right now is basically if I'm not stuffing my face with legumes I'm stuffing it with FRUIT. Being vegan doesn't mean "veggies" and that's it. Unless of course you are a rabbit.

craving sweets is a natural instinct that humans evolved to have when they needed serotonin levels to be higher and would naturally eat fruit in response to it. the healthy thing to do when you want sweets is therefore to eat something like a banana for tryptophan (serotonin precursor) or possibly just something really high in sugar like a date or ... mango? i don't really have a lot of examples. but just remember that sugar time equals fruit time.

(learned from thrive diet by brendan brazier)

• 3 months later...
Ive heard claims that it can remove heavy metals from the bloodstream and help repair broken dna.. I wouldn't be surprised.

This is correct and chlorella is actually very effective at doing this. The detoxification capabilities of chlorella is due to its incredibly high content of chlorophyll and its ‘cracked’ cell walls. They have the ability to grab onto unwanted materials, pollutants and some heavy metal residues in the bowel and intestines and help to flush them from the body.

It is abundant in RNA & DNA nucleic acids, so I could see how it could potentially repair DNA that has been damaged.

Chlorella is something I tried but as with others, I do not need or want it every day. But the long term effects are very positive, makes me feel a bit more "light" and "active". in fact, I do not even have to use blemish balm to improve my looks anymore. Wheat grass is something I have never tried though - should I eat it as a complement?

Edited by fembreak

Chlorella is something I tried but as with others, I do not need or want it every day. But the long term effects are very positive, makes me feel a bit more "light" and "active". Wheat grass is something I have never tried though - should I eat it as a complement?

This is definately something that can be used as an 'everyday' addition to your diet, and IMO more so than Chlorella which tends to be a little more specific in terms of how and when you should use it.

I use a combo of wheat & barley grass and just mix a teaspoon into my protein shake every day. Tastes good.

843739732_Protein20amp20greens.jpg.ba0863d038536b007848a182b663e645.jpg

The fact that Chlorella can make my poo turn green is proof enough for me that it's good for you !!

That is undigested chlorella - you may be taking too much and just pooping away $$$.

BTW, I had the same problem with Hemp Protein Powder - I just can not digest it. It is in the Vega products, and that little amount stills shows up there. LOL!

Chlorella is something I tried but as with others, I do not need or want it every day. But the long term effects are very positive, makes me feel a bit more "light" and "active". Wheat grass is something I have never tried though - should I eat it as a complement?

This is definately something that can be used as an 'everyday' addition to your diet, and IMO more so than Chlorella which tends to be a little more specific in terms of how and when you should use it.

I use a combo of wheat & barley grass and just mix a teaspoon into my protein shake every day. Tastes good.

Oh, thanks for the information, might change to wheat grass then, or at least try it first.

Oh, thanks for the information, might change to wheat grass then, or at least try it first.

No problems, I'm sure you will like it. It's full of natural ionic minerals and the many enzymes present such as cytochrome oxidase, lipase, protease and amylase support good healthy digestive function and intestinal flora.

Alkaline balance in the body is extremely important to our health; the ideal balance of food and food residue in the body is 80% alkaline and 20% acidic. This is largely determined by the food we eat, as foods are either acid forming or alkaline forming. We are constantly in a changing state between acid and alkaline and is continually working to maintain an ideal pH level of between 7.3 and 7.4.

Babies are born in a very alkaline state and as we age most people tend to gradually become more and more acidic (largely a result of dietary choices). Having said that, the body is able to regain its natural alkaline balance by eating highly alkaline foods such as green leafy vegetables, fresh seasonal fruits, pulses and nutrient-rich super foods like barley/wheat grass, spirulina etc etc. The key is simply changing the balance of the foods you eat, the overall amount of food consumed and getting to know which foods are acid forming and which are alkaline forming

Let me know what you think of it, cheers MF.