It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Google Buying Gold's Gym: Venice Landmark Could Fall Victim
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:15 am 
Elephant

Quote:
Story comes courtesy of LA Weekly

By Simone Wilson

[Update: Google spokesman Jordan Newman confirms that Google will be renting out the Gold's building in summer 2014. But, he says, "we have no plans to expand into Gold's Gym space. In fact, we are working with them to extend their lease." Newman has no comment on the remaining 170,000 square feet, aside from his previous statement that "we have no immediate plans to expand."]

Last week, the former owner of Gold's Gym in Venice leaked to Muscle Week that Google would be taking over the iconic old bodybuilder haven -- just one step in turning that whole area into a Mountain View-style Google compound.

And today, the owner of the Gold's Gym building at 360 Hampton Drive confirms to LA Weekly that come July 1, 2014, Google will indeed begin renting the space.

Venice real-estate giant Larry Field currently owns both Gold's and some of the buildings nearby, including a huge space at 300 Rose Avenue being rented out by production company Digital Domain. Field runs NSB Associates, a major local developer that "has been involved in the acquisition and development of more than $1 billion of real estate in Southern California."

Alexander Auerbach, a press officer for NSB Associates, tells us that Google will pick up the lease for all 31,500 square feet of Gold's -- positioned right across the street from Google's new Main Street digs with the giant binoculars out front.

Follow LA Weekly on Twitter, Facebook, and read more from their news blog The Informer.

Source:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/15/google-buying-golds-gym-venice_n_1519481.html?ref=technology&ir=Technology#s=980509

Post subject: Re: Google Buying Gold's Gym: Venice Landmark Could Fall Vic
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:13 am 
VBB Moderator

I love Google but this is kinda sad. I am definitely pro keeping old land marks intact.

Post subject: Re: Google Buying Gold's Gym: Venice Landmark Could Fall Vic
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:16 pm 
Site Admin

I remember hearing about this when I was training there a year ago. One of members who's a vegan athlete friend of mine was close with the staff and heard about it and quiet rumors started to spread among members. We wondered what would happen, where we'd go train, etc. Of course I moved and forgot all about it until seeing this post.

Big business taking over again.

Maybe Gold's will move to yet another location (their current location is not the same one Arnold and those guys trained in back in the 60s and 70s), but it's a few blocks from the original location.

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1