Hi hi hi

Marcina

Hi there,

some of the VBBF veterans might remember me. I left the group back in 2010 because I was having a lot of health problems and reverted back to a lacto-ovo vegetarian diet and felt that it would be an insult to everyone here if I stayed a part of the group as a non-vegan.

Last year, I was diagnosed with endometriosis and endured surgery and aggressive hormone therapy. A couple months later, my brother passed away. All of this was very stressful and I neglected my diet and started having even more health problems. I have seen several doctors, been in and out of hospital, and given stronger doses of medications. I decided that enough was enough and that I had to take charge of my health as I was facing surgery again. I cut out all dairy, and I never really liked eggs that much so that had to go. However, I have to admit (and I feel very guilty and bad about this) I started eating fish a couple years ago because I had become dangerously anemic, and now with an endometriosis diagnosis under my belt, I have to limit the soy products I consume because endometriosis is an estrogen-sensitive disease.

The reason I've come back here is because I want to go back to the vegan lifestyle, and I'm sure many of you know how to get lots of protein without soy as it's not something everyone can tolerate. I'm interested in tasty, easy recipes to get lots of protein and iron in my diet the vegan way, since I refuse, and always will refuse, to eat pork, beef, or poultry.

I met a girl on facebook who also has endometriosis and enjoys weightlifting and fitness and has gone vegan recently and has been improving vastly! I eat vegan most days of the week, as it really is simple, and I feel awesome on those days. I have a lot less pain and inflammation. I've also given up sugar which has also helped a lot. Anyways, I'm going to take a peek in the recipes section.. Maybe I can dig up a good lentil recipe, as I absolutely adore lentils..

Hello, Marcina, and welcome back! Glad you made it back this way.

Best of luck on your journey. You're right: there are soooo many vegans who also avoid soy (and gluten, too). So, I'm sure you'll find lots of great advice if you just look around. Also, I'm fairly positive I've seen soy-free vegan cookbooks. Or maybe it was just gluten-free that I saw. In any case, there are tons of recipes out there, as lots of people are avoiding soy these days.

All the very best!

Karen

Welcome back! You're one of our all-time most active members. Great to see your name on here when I logged in today.

Sorry to hear about your loss and about your recent health issues.

I have found the website www.forksoverknives.com to be incredibly helpful. There are loads of links there to top doctors and scientists and dietitians who promote a whole-food, plant-based diet. There are a lot of tips there and I think the site and the links from the site will be incredibly useful.

Welcome back, my friend!

Hugs!

-Robert

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...