None--rest day

Food

Breakfast: smoothie

Snack: flat white

Lunch: lentils, veg curry, brown rice

Snack: tea, banana bread

Dinner: Loving Hut

Notes

I have a mild cold. It's not bad enough for me to take time off from anything, but it's a little annoying. For dinner, we're going to what is becoming our traditional Friday evening dinner at Loving Hut. Tomorrow I'm hoping we'll fit in weight lifting then are going to lead rec league in the evening. We've got a really derby filled week coming up. Leading rec league tomorrow, scrimmage practice Sun, DSA training Mon, meeting then practice Tues, Wed off (though will do plyo on my own), practice Thurs, and team practice Fri. Oh, then an off-skates team bonding on Sat. It's really a good thing my partner does derby as well or we'd never see each other.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sat/Sun 11/12 Feb 2012

Well, that cold got worse!

On Saturday, I led a 2-hour rec league session. As I was leading, it wasn't really much in the way of exercise. Though I was on skates, I was mostly demonstrating stuff and slowly skating around watching people.

On Sunday I felt hideous! Sinus pressure was really bad and gave me a headache that wouldn't budge. So I spent the whole day in bed and skipped my usual practice. So no exercise for me.

I can't remember everything I ate, but pancakes, tofu scramble with black beans, and leftover spaghetti were in the mix.

Still feeling a bit ill, but I don't have the headache like yesterday so I am at work and am determined to go to the DSA session tonight.

Mon 13 Feb 2012

Exercise

DSA training: 1/2 hr speed/agility/quickness, 1hr strength

Food

Snack: coffee, cake

Lunch: Maoz falafel

Dinner (pre-training): salad (romaine, cuke, tofu)

Post-practice: protein shake

Notes

I made my partner a cake yesterday for Valentine's Day (we have practice on Tues so it had to be a little early), so I had some this morning.

I've let my log slip for a couple of days, but I'm going to try to get back on it!

I forgot to mention that we had a travel team selection a couple of weeks ago, and I am still on the A team. And it seems I'm currently assessed to be in the top 14. So far so good, though I definitely know that I'm on the border so I need to keep improving!

Sat 18 Feb 2012

Exercise

none--rest day

Food

Breakfast: choc chip mini weetabix, tea

Lunch: 'schnitzel' on bagel

Dinner: bunch of snacky things, mince/veg pie, pecan squares

Notes

In the evening we had a team bonding get-together, which was a pot luck. I ate a bunch of crisps and bread and hummus to start. For the mains and dessert, the only vegan things there were the dishes I made, which were a pie with vegetables and mince and some pecan squares.

Tues 21 Feb 2012

Exercise

cycled to work to practice to home

2-hour derby practice

Food

Snack: cocoa mint nakd bar, tea

Lunch: loads of food (buffet)

Snack: half a brownie, tea

Dinner: falafel wrap

Post-practice/cycle: protein shake, 'schnitzel'

Notes

Off-skates training last night was pretty tough and my legs are feeling pretty tired, but I'm still cycling and skating! Haven't lifted weights for a while outside of the off-skates (DSA) training, and we're all mostly going over form there so nothing heavy yet. I hope to lift weights tomorrow night, but my partner won't be working so I'll have to do things I don't need a spotter for.

Wed 22 Feb 2012

Exercise

none

Food

Breakfast: pancakes (belated pancake day celebration)

Snack: tea

Lunch: potatoes, rice, chickpea curry

Snack: mint choc 'cheesecake', tea

Dinner: Indian buffet

Notes

I had dinner with my brothers. We wandered around looking for somewhere not too crowded and ended up in a veg Indian buffet.

Sat 25 Feb 2012

Exercise

Finally lifted weights (all amounts in pounds):

Cleans: 74x5, 79x5, 84x5

Overhead press: 69x4/3/3

Deadlift: 158x8

Food

Can't remember everything but I think it was a pretty random eating crap day

Sun 26 Feb 2012

Exercise

2+ hours of derby practice (scrimmaging)

Food

Breakfast: apple/cinnamon oatmeal (homemade)

Lunch: salad, spaghetti 'bolognese'

Dinner (post-practice): a bit more spag bol, bread w/ hummus

Mon 27 Feb 2012

Exercise

off-skates DSA training (1/2 hr speed/agility/quickness, 1hr strength)

cycled to DSA (so little distance it doesn't really count)

Food

Breakfast: pancakes (fluffy American kind)

Lunch: teriyaki tofu, udon noodles, bak choi

Snack: hot chocolate

Pre-training: can't recall having anything!

Post-training: same smoothie I usually have for breakfast

Edited by FormicaLinoleum

This weekend is another two-game weekend. First one (Saturday) is a public bout of my home team against another home team. It's going to be a tough one. Sunday is a closed door bout of our A travel team against a Scottish team.

I currently have a lingering cough that is making me feel less than 100%, but I'm not too bad.

One of these days I'll post some current pictures.

Tues 28 Feb 2012

Exercise

cycled to work to practice to home

2-hour derby practice

Food

Breakfast: usual smoothie

Lunch: tofu/veg/noodle, cucumber maki

Snack: flat white, banana bread

Snack: picknicker

Post-practice/cycle: protein shake, crisps and hummus

Notes

My practice attendance is definitely getting better, and now that the weather is nicer and I'm mostly over my cold I'm riding my bike more regularly. I've also been doing the off-skates stuff (DSA) for four weeks now. So my exercise has increased. I'm still at 70kg, which isn't surprising as I feel like I'm eating loads and not very healthy stuff. The increase in exercise means a decrease in time at home; I basically have no more than two evenings a week where I'm not out training, and as I generally get home no earlier than 10pm and usually more like 11pm on those days, it's so hard to figure out when to prepare food. And my partner does all the same stuff, so she's not home to cook either. It's something we're going to have to work out, though.

Wed 29 Feb 2012

Exercise

None

Food

Lunch: hummus sandwich, chips

Dinner: schnitzel, soba & broccoli

Notes

Though this was just yesterday, I can't recall my food perfectly. I probably had a snack but I can't remember it. Had to work on a job application in the evening, so didn't do any exercise.

Have negelected my blog again because I've been really busy with work and derby.

Had my two games this weekend. First game we lost, but by a tiny amount. We very nearly won it. I'm really proud of my team (I'm captain), even though I didn't feel like I played as well as I could have. I felt loads better about my own playing in the second game. That was a travel team and we won by loads.

Here's a highlights video from my previous home-team bout, not the one from this weekend, but the one from February. There's a brief bit of me jamming.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't really done any exercise in about 2 weeks, due to going on holiday, being busy at work, and also prepping for a job interview tomorrow. I hate it! I'm hoping that by Wednesday things will be back to normal and I'll be able to get back to my regular schedule. We (the travel team) have a big game coming up at the end of April (http://www.londonrollergirls.com/details/42-london-brawling-vs-euro-all-starsbrawl-saints-vs-leeds-roller-dolls). I really want to be on the roster for it and actually get to play, and that will mean some hard work between now and then.

• 2 weeks later...

Work is finally a bit slower, so I've been able to get back to exercise and now have a chance to log.

March was really bad for me as far as work getting in the way of exercise/practice. My practice attendance for Jan and Feb was over 80%. In March it was 20%! Here's hoping April will be much better.

Saturday 31 March 2012

Lifted weights at home.

I've lost a bit of strength as I haven't done this regularly for a month or so.

Sunday 1 April 2012

3-hour scrimmage derby practice

Monday 2 April 2012

1.5 hours off skates (speed/agility/quickness and weights).

Session is 2 hours but I missed a bit as I was trying to find someone who was a bit lost to help her get to the place.

Tuesday 3 April 2012

Cycling home --> work --> practice --> home

Have 2 hour derby practice tonight

• 1 month later...

I'm hoping to get back into logging my exercise at least.

April was better attendance-wise... I got 67%, which is much better than May, but not at the 80%+ I want to reach. May will be at that level. I have no choice--I have to attend every practice between now and the end of the month in order to keep my average high enough to play in inter-league bouts.

I had a bit of a setback because I was not chosen to be on the roster for the big game at the end of April. And at the last selection I was chosen to be a crossover, on both the A and B teams. So despite my lofty goals stated at the beginning of this thread, I've now dropped down instead of moving up.

The really big deal is in September, which gives me a little bit of time--but not that much--to really improve to get on the roster for that. The problem is that everyone else is really improving as well, so I have to improve even more than they are.

The people we do our off-skates training with are going to start to do mental conditioning with us, so I hope this will help me with planning and goal setting and to deal with some of the mental stuff that I think holds me back a bit.

Recent exercise...

Tuesday 15 May

2-hour derby practice

Wednesday 16 May

Lifted weights on my own at home

Did a bunch of cleans, working on my technique. Sets of 5, building from 59lbs up to 94.

A little bit of overhead pressing. Definitely have lost a lot of strength on that. Did 64lbs--I think my reps were only around 3/4 per set.

Did some "speed deadlifts" with a small amount of weight, around 100lbs I think? Then just a few slower reps with 153lbs.

Thursday 17 May

2-hour derby practice

Tonight I have 2-hour derby practice again and I'm also on my bike. Tomorrow I'm leading a 3-hour derby boot camp. Sunday I have a bout, but I probably won't get very much track time.