Top Athlete in the world?

C.O.

I just read an article in Time magazine that makes the argument that Sachin Tendulker is the top athlete in the world. They compared top scorers in all sports, ei Kareem abdul jabaar, Bret farve, wayne gretski, etc.

I don't care how many 100 run games you score a cricket player will never be the top athlete in the world.....

Dylan's list of the top 10 athletes in the world coming soon to a VBBF forum near you...

haha

I would say it is some sort of track and field athlete like that whole Dan vs. Dave decathlon rivalry from what, 16 years ago or more?

I think it would have to be an untra marathon, or triathlete type of athlete, but if they're factoring in more skill than anything else, and factoring in all time, not just currently, my mind would be blown and I'd have no idea and just say Jim Thorpe.

You know marathon triathletes were one of my first thoughts but I don't think I would say they are the best athletes. Being the most fit doesn't make you the most skillful. There are and having been many amazingly skillful athletes that have also been in phenomenal shape.

Here are 10 I thought of for top athletes in the world currently and of all time. I will follow up and put them in order and possibly add or subtract if I think of someone I left out.

Current:

1.Manny Pacquiao (boxers are extremely fit and well conditioned strength and endurance/cardio wise. Manny has held so many titles in so many different weight classes its unheard of. I don't know if there will ever be a Pacquiao vs Mayweather fight but I wish it was 5 years ago when they were at their best.

2.Lebron James (NBA basketball) (just like Mayweather gets mention Kobe gets mention as well) Lebron is incredibly strong, fit, fast, and we conditioned. He not only can score at will, in many ways, power dunking over everyone, or super long 3-pointers. He does it all, he is a great defender, blocks and rebounds well, steals, and is an excellent passer who completes a large amount of assists.

3.Roxrite (Neguin gets mention) Bboys are to me at the top of athleticism. Timing, strength, flexibility, style, conditioning the best are doing things with the body that no one else can and that often times doesn't even look real.

4.Anderson Silva (MMA Middle weight champion)(9 title defenses)(Georges st-pierre mentioned)

5.Aaron Rogers (NFL quarterbacks) (Drew Brees gets mention)

6.Leo Messi acceptably regarded around the world as the best soccer player on the planet, and soccer is the most played and watched sport in the world. (Christiano Ronaldo gets mention)

7.Jordyn Wieber (female) (Kohei Uchimura (male)) Gymnists are among the top athletes in the world no contest.

8.Calvin Johnson (NFL's best wide receiver) (Greg Jennings gets mentioned)

9. TIE Daniel Sedin (NHL) (Hockey) AND Rafael Nadal (Tennis)

10.TIE Javier Gomez (triathlete) AND Serena Williams (Tennis) Currently #5 but the year still has a lot of the big tournaments to play and she is still the best).

Its a very controversial list I know, but its a very hard category to fairly judge. Just to point out THERE ARE NO CRICKET PLAYERS ON MY LIST....no baseball players either sorry baseball heads some of them are very talents but we are talking over all athletes...No golfers either sorry Tiger..

I agree. No baseball players, golfers, or others like that.

I also agree that skill is a huge part, not just your strength or endurance.

Good list. Glad you appreciate Lebron James' talent. Most people just think he's this or that, but the guy is an amazing athlete. To be 6'8" and 240 and be the fastest guy in the league, so strong, so powerful and athletic, with the endurance to play 40 minutes a night if he has to, is amazing. And because he's playing offense and defense, often guarding the other team's toughest offensive player, no matter what position they are, point to center.

Good stuff.

I don't think he is the fastest guy in the league (D.Wade, John Wall, I bet there are a handful of guys faster, But I do think he is the most talented over all. I am not a fan, but I can still recognize he is amazingly talented.

I think he is the fastest end to end. Some other guys are "quicker" for sure. Westbrook, Rose, Parker perhaps, etc.

But I don't think anyone is as fast

Up to debate. They need to include the 40 in the NBA like in the NFL

You know marathon triathletes were one of my first thoughts but I don't think I would say they are the best athletes. Being the most fit doesn't make you the most skillful. There are and having been many amazingly skillful athletes that have also been in phenomenal shape.

Here are 10 I thought of for top athletes in the world currently and of all time. I will follow up and put them in order and possibly add or subtract if I think of someone I left out.

Current:

1.Manny Pacquiao (boxers are extremely fit and well conditioned strength and endurance/cardio wise. Manny has held so many titles in so many different weight classes its unheard of. I don't know if there will ever be a Pacquiao vs Mayweather fight but I wish it was 5 years ago when they were at their best.

2.Lebron James (NBA basketball) (just like Mayweather gets mention Kobe gets mention as well) Lebron is incredibly strong, fit, fast, and we conditioned. He not only can score at will, in many ways, power dunking over everyone, or super long 3-pointers. He does it all, he is a great defender, blocks and rebounds well, steals, and is an excellent passer who completes a large amount of assists.

3.Roxrite (Neguin gets mention) Bboys are to me at the top of athleticism. Timing, strength, flexibility, style, conditioning the best are doing things with the body that no one else can and that often times doesn't even look real.

4.Anderson Silva (MMA Middle weight champion)(9 title defenses)(Georges st-pierre mentioned)

5.Aaron Rogers (NFL quarterbacks) (Drew Brees gets mention)

6.Leo Messi acceptably regarded around the world as the best soccer player on the planet, and soccer is the most played and watched sport in the world. (Christiano Ronaldo gets mention)

7.Jordyn Wieber (female) (Kohei Uchimura (male)) Gymnists are among the top athletes in the world no contest.

8.Calvin Johnson (NFL's best wide receiver) (Greg Jennings gets mentioned)

9. TIE Daniel Sedin (NHL) (Hockey) AND Rafael Nadal (Tennis)

10.TIE Javier Gomez (triathlete) AND Serena Williams (Tennis) Currently #5 but the year still has a lot of the big tournaments to play and she is still the best).

Its a very controversial list I know, but its a very hard category to fairly judge. Just to point out THERE ARE NO CRICKET PLAYERS ON MY LIST....no baseball players either sorry baseball heads some of them are very talents but we are talking over all athletes...No golfers either sorry Tiger..

Lol this list is awful (no hate), first off Usain Bolt being the fastest athlete in the world deserves some love, secondly Brian Clay should be on here considering he's the best decathlete and thirdly where's Michael Phelps? Clearly from an American point of view haha

(full disclosure: I'm American as well)

I respect all your opinions as well but to me being the best athlete is more than speed, strength and endurance. Runners, swimmers, and triathletes/decathletes are very athletic, not discrediting them in anyway but the skill and technique used in sports like basketball, martial arts, gymnastics, soccer, and some positions in football, are at a higher level in my eyes because those athletes are able to harness their great speed, strength and endurance and use it in conjunction with precise technique and skill.

I think some skateboarders and snowboarders would definitely be on my list if I made a top 20. Michael Phelps would make my list if I made a top 15 but didn't make the top 10 cut.

-Dylan