fear to gain (AKA bulking)

It is funny how men want to look bigger and females freak out when the scale goes up especially when you work out so hard

Some questions

Mentally how hard was your first bulk?

Did you freak out when the scale went up?

When you were bulking, did you feel like you were binge eating a lot and couldn't stop making you feel guilty for eating so much.

After your first bulk, was it physically and mentally hard to get back into the intense cardio and strict diet to cut

Did you screw up your metabolism from going from excessive cals to lower cals

Don't over think it man, just eat some food & live your life. This is part of a blog I wrote...

To finish off this rant I'm going to start with this conversation I had; "I'm wanting to bulk like you but I don't want to gain fat & I want visible abs while doing it". Face palm moment, I gave advice & I could see the "nah I'm not believing this" look in the guys eyes...may advice went along the lines of (also this goes to anyone wanting to gain):

"To gain muscle you're going to also have to gain fat, if you want to stay mega lean then you won't add any weight to your frame which in turn leads to over training & frustration. Under normal circumstances it's almost impossible to loose/not gain fat but add muscle..the only exceptions at a rarity being very obese, untrained people or folk on the juice"

I don't care If anyone bothering to read this doesn't agree & I in return I don't care you don't agree. Fact is your six pack is going to become a little blurry. I don't care how many crunches or ab circuits you do, even if you say you hit a million ab movements a day with multiple angles. All this does is over train the abs & burn much needed calories, also cardio (intense) is next to no good on a bulk. Minimal cardio on a bulk, just to keep the cardiovascular systems in check.

TO PUT ON WEIGHT YOU MUST CONSUME MORE CALORIES THAN YOU EXPEND! YOU WILL NOT PUT ON WEIGHT IF YOU DON'T!

You can't bulk & cut...simple! So man up, commit to the bulk & stop whinging!

I'm an ex fat guy (adult) I now weigh the exact same I use to when I weighed 90-92kg & had to buy xl tops & 36" waist jeans. I went right down to 63kg within 6 months & now it's taken me little over a year to regain that same weight. Though now I'm bursting out of my medium tops & I'm wearing 30" cut offs.

Get big or die trying

Being an ex-fat kid it still freaks me out to see the scale go up even if my strength has increased across the board.

You have to get over that ortherwise it will hold you back. Unless you're at point which you're happy with what you're lifting. I told a friend a few months back to gain some weight as his squats had stalled, problem solved.

Edited by veggiesasquatch

Veggie great advice. It is hard with females because the pressures to look thin. Just like Matt my fear is after putting on the weight from excess healthy eating, will it slow the metabolism making it hard to cut to get the nice tone look. Veggie if you don't mind can you provide some examples of your bulk and cut foods. Thanks

I'm not a bodybuilder, I haven't nor won't ever be a person who does the whole "summer look bulk over winter" jazz...I simply train to be big & strong & for that my diet has to mirror it. You can't eat like a mouse & expect to lift like a lion. But to get big/strong/gain muscle....

What I say to most people on gaining is simple. Do the basics and get between 1.5-2grams of protein per body pound (I see many people on here thinking 100grams of protein per day is some kind of magical number), whatever clean carbs you can eat per meal (I personally ate 100grams of carbs every meal for a few months) & then your veggies/fruits. 

Checking your calorie needs is a good idea but macro counting is pointless unless you're training for a bodybuilding comp where you need single digit body fat numbers. people get their fingers up their asses thinking they need to weigh, as an example a apple just because they read it somewhere & talked them selves into believing that's what they have to do across the board. Your average gym rat doesn't to be so anal. you could read all the diets out there, which I have most & I came to the conclusion they all have a "fad" to them in which to rope people in. I could make some random claim about food & you can guarantee people would follow it.

I came to the result that it's all the same shit & I go by eating a lot of healthy food, 95% of the time & I get on with my life.

When I lost weight I basically had little carbs, more fruit & veggies but I wasn't training for strength/size then. I was dieting. I would eat a biggish bowl of porridge in the morning & that would be my carbs for the whole day. I'd do lots of running over hill, light weights at home & martial arts.

If you're after size do the big three, eat big/lift big/rest big. full body training x3 a week, eat plenty of food & loads of rest.

A fav breakfast shake I use to make would consist of:

500ml whatever milk you prefer

1-1.5 cup raw oats

1 large banana

2 table spoons peanut butter

2-3 scoops protein 

Table spoon olive oil

Also eat pizza once a week:)

As for metabolism you can't really judge. Its down to the individual. I think my training log has a meal on the last page after I trained the other day....

• 1 month later...

Easy: throw out your scale and just measure yourself with a tape measure instead.

If you're fitting into smaller clothing because the fat's going away and the muscles are developing, who cares? Seriously....

This advice comes from a chick, I'm sure unless a guy is losing to lose weight they're gonna want to be big, lol....

100 (g) of protein????? Before I started doing the 80/10/10 raw vegan thing I used to get around 200-220 (g) of protein/day. since starting 811 I now get 70-100 (g) of protein, but I get around 1000 (g) of carbs/day. If you aren't going high carbs, I don't see how it would be possible to gain muscle only getting 100 (g) of protein/day. Maybe I misunderstood.