Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Missyle's Derby Improvement Log 2012
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:14 am 
Elephant

This weekend is another two-game weekend. First one (Saturday) is a public bout of my home team against another home team. It's going to be a tough one. Sunday is a closed door bout of our A travel team against a Scottish team.

I currently have a lingering cough that is making me feel less than 100%, but I'm not too bad.

One of these days I'll post some current pictures.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:05 am 
Elephant

Tues 28 Feb 2012

Exercise
cycled to work to practice to home
2-hour derby practice

Food
Breakfast: usual smoothie
Lunch: tofu/veg/noodle, cucumber maki
Snack: flat white, banana bread
Snack: picknicker
Post-practice/cycle: protein shake, crisps and hummus

Notes
My practice attendance is definitely getting better, and now that the weather is nicer and I'm mostly over my cold I'm riding my bike more regularly. I've also been doing the off-skates stuff (DSA) for four weeks now. So my exercise has increased. I'm still at 70kg, which isn't surprising as I feel like I'm eating loads and not very healthy stuff. The increase in exercise means a decrease in time at home; I basically have no more than two evenings a week where I'm not out training, and as I generally get home no earlier than 10pm and usually more like 11pm on those days, it's so hard to figure out when to prepare food. And my partner does all the same stuff, so she's not home to cook either. It's something we're going to have to work out, though.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:57 pm 
Elephant

Wed 29 Feb 2012

Exercise
None

Food
Breakfast: smoothie
Lunch: hummus sandwich, chips
Dinner: schnitzel, soba & broccoli

Notes
Though this was just yesterday, I can't recall my food perfectly. I probably had a snack but I can't remember it. Had to work on a job application in the evening, so didn't do any exercise.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:47 am 
Elephant

Have negelected my blog again because I've been really busy with work and derby.

Had my two games this weekend. First game we lost, but by a tiny amount. We very nearly won it. I'm really proud of my team (I'm captain), even though I didn't feel like I played as well as I could have. I felt loads better about my own playing in the second game. That was a travel team and we won by loads.

Here's a highlights video from my previous home-team bout, not the one from this weekend, but the one from February. There's a brief bit of me jamming.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:40 am 
Elephant

Just got back from a holiday with friends in the Yorkshire Dales. It was lovely and relaxing! Did a lot of walking, but no other exercise.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:36 pm 
Site Admin

Hope all is great!

Glad you got a holiday in there, and congratulations on your recent win as well.

Have an awesome weekend!

Robert

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:50 am 
Elephant

I haven't really done any exercise in about 2 weeks, due to going on holiday, being busy at work, and also prepping for a job interview tomorrow. I hate it! I'm hoping that by Wednesday things will be back to normal and I'll be able to get back to my regular schedule. We (the travel team) have a big game coming up at the end of April (http://www.londonrollergirls.com/detail ... ller-dolls). I really want to be on the roster for it and actually get to play, and that will mean some hard work between now and then.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:02 am 
Elephant

Work is finally a bit slower, so I've been able to get back to exercise and now have a chance to log.

March was really bad for me as far as work getting in the way of exercise/practice. My practice attendance for Jan and Feb was over 80%. In March it was 20%! Here's hoping April will be much better.

Saturday 31 March 2012
Lifted weights at home.
I've lost a bit of strength as I haven't done this regularly for a month or so.

Sunday 1 April 2012
3-hour scrimmage derby practice

Monday 2 April 2012
1.5 hours off skates (speed/agility/quickness and weights).
Session is 2 hours but I missed a bit as I was trying to find someone who was a bit lost to help her get to the place.

Tuesday 3 April 2012
Cycling home --> work --> practice --> home
Have 2 hour derby practice tonight

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:40 am 
Elephant

I'm hoping to get back into logging my exercise at least.

April was better attendance-wise... I got 67%, which is much better than May, but not at the 80%+ I want to reach. May will be at that level. I have no choice--I have to attend every practice between now and the end of the month in order to keep my average high enough to play in inter-league bouts.

I had a bit of a setback because I was not chosen to be on the roster for the big game at the end of April. And at the last selection I was chosen to be a crossover, on both the A and B teams. So despite my lofty goals stated at the beginning of this thread, I've now dropped down instead of moving up.

The really big deal is in September, which gives me a little bit of time--but not that much--to really improve to get on the roster for that. The problem is that everyone else is really improving as well, so I have to improve even more than they are.

The people we do our off-skates training with are going to start to do mental conditioning with us, so I hope this will help me with planning and goal setting and to deal with some of the mental stuff that I think holds me back a bit.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:45 am 
Elephant

Recent exercise...

Tuesday 15 May
2-hour derby practice

Wednesday 16 May
Lifted weights on my own at home
Did a bunch of cleans, working on my technique. Sets of 5, building from 59lbs up to 94.
A little bit of overhead pressing. Definitely have lost a lot of strength on that. Did 64lbs--I think my reps were only around 3/4 per set.
Did some "speed deadlifts" with a small amount of weight, around 100lbs I think? Then just a few slower reps with 153lbs.

Thursday 17 May
2-hour derby practice

Tonight I have 2-hour derby practice again and I'm also on my bike. Tomorrow I'm leading a 3-hour derby boot camp. Sunday I have a bout, but I probably won't get very much track time.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:12 am 
Elephant

Been a bit busy...

Friday 18 May
2-hour derby practice
Cycled home to work to practice to home

Saturday 19 May
Led a 3-hour derby boot camp

Sunday 20 May
Played in a bout with the A team

Though I'm now an A/B crossover, I got to play in an important game for our league on Sunday, as two of the A players were on holiday. It's all a bit complicated, but basically we want to go to our region's playoffs in September, and to do that we need to be in the top 10 in our region for the period of April-June of this year. We have to play at least 2 games in our region in that time. As the Europe region is still growing and isn't yet an active one, our region is the east coast of the US, so it can be hard for us to get games. There are 3 other WFTDA members in Europe who are also part of our region, so we are playing them. Yesterday we played the first of those games. We won, 667 to 18. That's a new WFTDA record for point margin. But you can see why we don't get many games with other UK leagues; there's a really big gap between us and most other leagues in Europe.

Tonight I've got off-skates training. Then practice tomorrow. I think I'll take Wednesday as a rest day.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:17 am 
Elephant

Mon 21 May
Off-skates training: 1/2 hr speed/agility/quickness, 1 hr strength

Tues 22 May
No exercise.
I had the day off to go to a funeral. One of our skaters died a couple of weeks ago. She was 37 and had a daughter who's around 12. She had ovarian cancer; she'd fought it for a couple of years but recently went downhill really quickly. We were all a bit shocked when she died. Anyway, loads of us went to the funeral and practice was made non-required for the evening.

Wed 23 May
Only exercise was cycling to and from work.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:25 am 
Elephant

I'm going to try a little bit of an experiment and do a week of really strictly having only fruit, veg, beans, nuts and seeds. I'll probably have a lot of smoothies to make it easier because I don't have much time to cook. If I actually stick to this, it will force me not to have coffee or tea or cake or fried stuff, which I struggle with.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:25 am 
Elephant

Thurs 24 May
2-hour derby practice

Fri 25 May
Only exercise was riding my bike to/from work

Sat 26 May
None--had a really lovely day at the seaside with a bunch of rollergirls

Sun 27 May
3-hour derby practice

Mon 28 May
None--felt absolutely hideous (see below)

I started my "eating healthy" experiement on Sunday. I did start the day with Wheetabix and coffee, but once I got my groceries it was all veg/fruit/beans/nuts. I don't have much time to prepare food so I'm eating a lot of the same food and drinking a lot of smoothie, but I'm trying to make sure each meal that I make is well-balanced so it's fine to eat a lot of it. I've been having my usual smoothies (spinach, blueberries, apple, pear, banana, and protein powder), but multiple times a day instead of just for breakfast. Other things I've eaten are a salad of black and adzuki beans, corn, red pepper, red onion, and cilantro/coriander and today I'm having a soup with lots of lentils, quinoa, carrot, greens, and broccoli. I'm not adding oil to anything and am being very sparing with salt. I'm nibbling on nuts and raw bars that contain nuts so it's not too low fat.

Yesterday I felt absolutely hideous. I had the worst headache I've had for a very long time. I'm not sure exactly what caused this. Could be withdrawal from caffeine. But I also generally eat sugary stuff and baked goods and fried stuff, so there are a lot of things I'm giving up this week. Anyway I decided to go ahead and have tea, just without the sugar, and that seemed to help. Feeling much better today. But I felt so bad last night I couldn't go to my off-skates training.

Tonight I have practice and am riding my bike.

I'm doing this super healthy thing just through Friday. On Saturday I'm going up north to visit my mom, so wouldn't be able to stick with it then. I'm also doing this mostly as an experiment to see how I feel eating like this and also to break the habit of snacking on unhealthy stuff like cake and chips. I won't be so strict from after this, but will try to have a better diet (still lots of veg and beans and so on but will be less strict about a bit of oil in food and so on) with an anything-goes day once or twice a week.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:09 am 
Rabbit

FormicaLinoleum wrote:
Yesterday I felt absolutely hideous. I had the worst headache I've had for a very long time. I'm not sure exactly what caused this. Could be withdrawal from caffeine.

I tend to find that the first couple of days of me taking a caffeine break are roughly equivalent to hell on Earth. Or at the very least heck on Earth.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next