Been a bit busy...

Friday 18 May

2-hour derby practice

Cycled home to work to practice to home

Saturday 19 May

Led a 3-hour derby boot camp

Sunday 20 May

Played in a bout with the A team

Though I'm now an A/B crossover, I got to play in an important game for our league on Sunday, as two of the A players were on holiday. It's all a bit complicated, but basically we want to go to our region's playoffs in September, and to do that we need to be in the top 10 in our region for the period of April-June of this year. We have to play at least 2 games in our region in that time. As the Europe region is still growing and isn't yet an active one, our region is the east coast of the US, so it can be hard for us to get games. There are 3 other WFTDA members in Europe who are also part of our region, so we are playing them. Yesterday we played the first of those games. We won, 667 to 18. That's a new WFTDA record for point margin. But you can see why we don't get many games with other UK leagues; there's a really big gap between us and most other leagues in Europe.

Tonight I've got off-skates training. Then practice tomorrow. I think I'll take Wednesday as a rest day.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mon 21 May

Off-skates training: 1/2 hr speed/agility/quickness, 1 hr strength

Tues 22 May

No exercise.

I had the day off to go to a funeral. One of our skaters died a couple of weeks ago. She was 37 and had a daughter who's around 12. She had ovarian cancer; she'd fought it for a couple of years but recently went downhill really quickly. We were all a bit shocked when she died. Anyway, loads of us went to the funeral and practice was made non-required for the evening.

Wed 23 May

Only exercise was cycling to and from work.

I'm going to try a little bit of an experiment and do a week of really strictly having only fruit, veg, beans, nuts and seeds. I'll probably have a lot of smoothies to make it easier because I don't have much time to cook. If I actually stick to this, it will force me not to have coffee or tea or cake or fried stuff, which I struggle with.

Thurs 24 May

2-hour derby practice

Fri 25 May

Only exercise was riding my bike to/from work

Sat 26 May

None--had a really lovely day at the seaside with a bunch of rollergirls

Sun 27 May

3-hour derby practice

Mon 28 May

None--felt absolutely hideous (see below)

I started my "eating healthy" experiement on Sunday. I did start the day with Wheetabix and coffee, but once I got my groceries it was all veg/fruit/beans/nuts. I don't have much time to prepare food so I'm eating a lot of the same food and drinking a lot of smoothie, but I'm trying to make sure each meal that I make is well-balanced so it's fine to eat a lot of it. I've been having my usual smoothies (spinach, blueberries, apple, pear, banana, and protein powder), but multiple times a day instead of just for breakfast. Other things I've eaten are a salad of black and adzuki beans, corn, red pepper, red onion, and cilantro/coriander and today I'm having a soup with lots of lentils, quinoa, carrot, greens, and broccoli. I'm not adding oil to anything and am being very sparing with salt. I'm nibbling on nuts and raw bars that contain nuts so it's not too low fat.

Yesterday I felt absolutely hideous. I had the worst headache I've had for a very long time. I'm not sure exactly what caused this. Could be withdrawal from caffeine. But I also generally eat sugary stuff and baked goods and fried stuff, so there are a lot of things I'm giving up this week. Anyway I decided to go ahead and have tea, just without the sugar, and that seemed to help. Feeling much better today. But I felt so bad last night I couldn't go to my off-skates training.

Tonight I have practice and am riding my bike.

I'm doing this super healthy thing just through Friday. On Saturday I'm going up north to visit my mom, so wouldn't be able to stick with it then. I'm also doing this mostly as an experiment to see how I feel eating like this and also to break the habit of snacking on unhealthy stuff like cake and chips. I won't be so strict from after this, but will try to have a better diet (still lots of veg and beans and so on but will be less strict about a bit of oil in food and so on) with an anything-goes day once or twice a week.

Yesterday I felt absolutely hideous. I had the worst headache I've had for a very long time. I'm not sure exactly what caused this. Could be withdrawal from caffeine.

I tend to find that the first couple of days of me taking a caffeine break are roughly equivalent to hell on Earth. Or at the very least heck on Earth.

Yesterday I felt absolutely hideous. I had the worst headache I've had for a very long time. I'm not sure exactly what caused this. Could be withdrawal from caffeine.

I tend to find that the first couple of days of me taking a caffeine break are roughly equivalent to hell on Earth. Or at the very least heck on Earth.

It was horrible! Maybe I should have powered through instead of having tea, but I'm not too concerned about being completely caffeine-free. I mostly want to elimate all the sugar in my usual coffee drinks, so am not having those.

Sadly haven't done much exercise this week...

Tues 29 May

Cycled to and from work

Did plyo at home in the evening

Wed 30 May

Cycled to and from work

Thurs 31 May

No exercise

I got over the feeling horrible bit that I experienced on Monday, though that might be due to drinking tea (no sugar or soy milk) the remaining days. I'm a bit disappointed I didn't do more exercise (esp not doing a derby practice) to see if I have more energy. However, I was suddenly able to do pull-ups! OK, partial ones. But previously I couldn't really pull myself up at all and when I tried today I was able to do a partial pull-up (not starting at a dead hang). That was kind of weird. I did about 6 total, but not all consecutively.

I'm going to visit my mom this weekend, which is a 4-day weekend here in the UK. So I won't be doing any exercise other than walking around for a while. My eating plan for the future is to eat well (but not as strict as this week) during the week but allow treats (without going crazy) on the weekend. That will still be an improvement over my previous habit of eating something in the cake family pretty much every day.

I'll be weighing myself tomorrow. I was right around 70kg last week.

I got back from visiting my mom on Monday evening. (In the UK it was a 4-day weekend with Mon and Tues being bank holidays.) Yesterday I went for a team picnic where I ate lots of food--people made and brought all sorts of vegan stuff including vegan cookies.

Today is back to work and back to eating semi-well and doing some exercise! Planning to lift weights tonight.

This is our last week before a one-month derby break. I have two bouts this weekend--one on Saturday and the other on Sunday. During the break we'll be doing our off-skates training twice a week instead of just one, which is good, but I'll need to work out what to do on the other days. Probably some kind of plyo, maybe one more day of weights (the off-skates sessions include weights).

Had two bouts this past weekend. Saturday was a home team bout. We won, and by enough of a point difference to become our league's season champions! It's the first time: we've generally been the league underdogs. So I'm really pleased about that as a team member and the captain.

Yesterday was an inter-league game with our B team. We won, but we came pretty close to losing it at one point as we were an absolute mess with penalties. That game definitely didn't feel as good as the one on Saturday!

So now it's our 1-month break and I'll have to find other exercise to do. I have off-skates training tonight.

Fri 22 June

Cycled to/from work

Sat 23 June

Played in a bout.

Was our B team. We won and it was a lot of fun!

Sun 24 June

Nowt

Mon 25 June

Off-skates training: agility, weights, circuits

Tues 26 June

Nowt

My dad is over from the US so I'll be seeing him today and tomorrow, so no exercise for those days.

Had a bit of a break while my dad was down in London. I'll be going up north to meet up with him again next weekend for 4 days, so that will be another chunk of time without exercise.

Sun 1 July

Went for a bike ride with some friends. I think I covered about 20 miles total, so not very much, especially for the amount of time it took! But it was a rather leisurely ride and largely on shared paths, which meant having to keep the speed down.

Mon 2 July

Off-skates training session

Lately the format has been about 50 minutes of weights (last night focused on squat and deadlift), then speed/agility, then vision training, then circuits. I like that set up.

Food-wise, my diet has been OK, but it could be better. My partner and I are trying to be frugal now, so we'll be doing less eating out at lunchtime and more bringing our own food.

Still on derby break. First practice back is one week from today.

Roller derby is slowly catching on...I live near Birmingham (UK) & I'm sure they have a team or two!

Whip it is a great movie

Yup, there are two leagues in Birmingham!

It's grown massively in UK and the rest of Europe. I started over 5 years ago and at that time there were around five leagues in all of Europe. Now there are around 200!

It is SO COOL to me that you're involved with roller derby. I went to a local game once and fell in love but I have no free time right now.

It definitely takes up a lot of time. We have group training four times a week (three on skates, one off skates). And then there's the time we put in to run the league and put on events. I got started right when I moved to London so didn't know anyone and had nothing else to do so it worked out pretty well.

Which league did you see? I used to live in Baltimore and thats where I first discovered roller derby and decided I had to do it.

Got back last night from four days with my family. No exercise other than a bit of walking. But today is our first derby practice back after the break and I think training is going to be pretty intense in the lead up to Playoffs, which are at the end of September. My Sunday practices are now going to be 4 hours.

Sun 22 Jul

Just over 3 hours of derby practice

I managed to injure my knee towards the end. I kept skating but pain made it a bit hard for me to get power and bursts of speed. It now is feeling quite tight and I get occasional sharp pains while walking. I didn't go to off-skates training last night and will probably not skate tonight, though I will go watch practice. I made the mistake of riding my bike, so still have to cycle to practice and then home from there so my knee won't get a full rest today. I won't do any exercise tomorrow. I hope I've just kind of bruised something and this will resolve pretty quickly because I really don't want to have to take much time off right now.

It's a really key time right now, as our regional Playoff are at the end of September. I don't really think I stand a very good chance of being picked for the roster for that, but I still really want to try, so my training should be at its peak over the next couple of months. We also have Team USA coming over to play us at the start of September. They are the team that was put together last year for the World Cup and is made up of amazing players from all over the US. It will be the hardest game we've ever played.

• 2 weeks later...