Any Vegetable Gardeners?

KarakD.

I am so behind when it comes to getting the veggie garden ready. The extremely mild winter has tricked various plants into blooming. I have blooms on two of three azalea bushes and have lilies and daffodils popping up all over. I'm still finding remnants of the previous owner's planting beds and am hesitant to rip anything out because I love what I've found so far.

Mulch that sh!t. Seriously, you need to add more mulch next fall - it will keep the ground cooler for a longer time.

I too held off on cleaning the beds & ya know what? That's a good thing! This year I found 2 praying manits egg sacs.

398554_2766474965576_1368987145_32049722_1635525690_n.jpg

WOE! sorry about the size of that - let me try to re-post

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I really want a vegetable garden.

If I could grow carrots, garlic, onion, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, and other leafy greens it'd save me soooo much money.

Carrots: are pretty simple - I suggest growing them in deep pots w/compost & sand. This way they will grow straight.

Besides they like loose soil & not much else.

* Start seeds now, I love purple because they are sweeter

Garlic: Should be started in fall. You might be able to get away w/planting it now but it depends on your growing zone

Onion: Buy starters, its way easier then starting seed.

The seed I started last year is only now forming edible bulbs.

Tomtoes: Start Seeds now in potting mix.

Try to avoid bags that have peat moss. Peat moss is not sustainable

Cucumbers: Good luck (I suck at growing them)

Leafy Greens: Start now just like carrots

Good Luck!

I really want a vegetable garden.

If I could grow carrots, garlic, onion, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, and other leafy greens it'd save me soooo much money.

Carrots: are pretty simple - I suggest growing them in deep pots w/compost & sand. This way they will grow straight.

Besides they like loose soil & not much else.

* Start seeds now, I love purple because they are sweeter

Garlic: Should be started in fall. You might be able to get away w/planting it now but it depends on your growing zone

Tomtoes: Start Seeds now in potting mix.

Try to avoid bags that have peat moss. Peat moss is not sustainable

Leafy Greens: Start now just like carrots

All I grow is sadness and disappointment.

The garden centers, mags & seed catalogs make it look soooo easy to grow veggies when it fact it isn't easy at all.

//They// want you to fail! If you succeed then //they// will lose $$$

I suggest just starting with 1 tomato plant in a nice big pot. If you give it all the love it needs then it will

produce tons of fresh fruit. Maybe even enough to roast & freeze for the winter.

The key is not to overwhelm yourself. Do you really want to be outside when it's over

90 degrees ranking weeds & swatting bugs?

1 plant in the right place with the right amount of water is all you need to start with.

I loved my first year of gardening I had so much success with my tomatoes, peppers, jalapenos and green beans! I really want blueberry bushes, more beans and peas, brussels sprouts and my squash oh and onions and sweet potatoes..... No idea where to plant all this stuff so that I can freeze some for this winter.

I had a good crop of onions that I started off indoors in little plastic containers and then planted out when they'd gotten a few inches tall.

I got one inedible, bitter cucumber off my three cucumber plants. The fourth I gave to a neighbour who got millions of cucumbers off it. Ah well...

Chilli pepper grow very well, I've found. They're much like tomatoes.

At the supermarkets near me they do pots of basil and other herbs and chilli peppers. Wait until they have dying ones marked down, then plant them in proper compost and they'll explode back into health. Often, the tiny pots they grow them in aren't big enough for the root system once it's established.

• 2 months later...

2012 has been anamazing year for my chokes - I've never seen them produce so many buds.

564188_3261511381177_656408351_n.jpg

Artichokes have 60 mg Magnesium or 15% of the body's needs.

Since I've been eating 3 a night I've noticed that my heart rate plummets then I become completely relaxed.

Did some web searching & check this link out! http://www.livestrong.com/article/449257-magnesium-slow-heart-rates/

They look amazing, KarakD.! Can you deliver them by 5 PM? Just kidding.

I've got the biggest strawberry harvest of all time ripening out in the garden right now. We're talkin' 20+ pints if the slugs forget where I moved them. Not bad for heavy clay soil. These are the June bearing variety, the kind that get two inches long.

We've got a late summer again up here in the Pacific Northwest. I just hope it heats up fast so the tomatoes and peppers have a chance this time around. I started Cherokee Purples from seed and I can't wait to taste that first, fresh, sweet, juicy bite. Third pic down: http://rareseeds.com/blog/cooking/its-tomato-planting-time/

Baby Herc

Edited by Baby Hercules

2012 has been anamazing year for my chokes - I've never seen them produce so many buds.

Those look amazing!

Just curious, how do you eat your artichokes? Because I've been wanting to try them out, but I have no idea in what kind of dish/recipe they would taste good.

They look amazing, KarakD.! Can you deliver them by 5 PM? Just kidding.

I've got the biggest strawberry harvest of all time ripening out in the garden right now. We're talkin' 20+ pints if the slugs forget where I moved them. Not bad for heavy clay soil. These are the June bearing variety, they kind that get two inches wide.

Baby Herc

Very Nice! Are you going to try canning them? I canned a ton of fruit last year - it turned out great.

If you've got a prob with slugs try Sluggo. It say's Organic on the container & I've been using it for years.

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_043V063733981000P?sid=KDx01192011x000001&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=27-122491702-2

Those look amazing!

Just curious, how do you eat your artichokes? Because I've been wanting to try them out, but I have no idea in what kind of dish/recipe they would taste good.

Thanks

I like them with Greek olives & Pine nuts. Basically I pull off the outer most leaves, then cut in half. Sprinkle 3 or 4 cap fulls of lemon (or juice of 1 fresh lemon) on top. Stick them in a pan w/EVOO, garlic & pine nuts then saute on grill.

The trick is the chokes must be very young. If they are to old they are tough & you can't eat the flower inside.

I hope that helps..

Are you going to try canning them?

Nah, I eat everything fresh and raw. If there's a bumper crop of strawberries, then there's just gonna be a bumper crop of smoothies!

The slugs and I have an understanding: I moved onto their land, so the garden belongs to both of us. They only eat a little. I use no chemicals of any kind. If something doesn't produce well in my garden then I just grow something else. It's hard to feel limited when you've got strawberries, scarlet runner beans, corn, pie pumpkin, zucchini, cilantro, parsley, chives, bell peppers, jalapenos, cantaloupe, sweet peas, potatoes, and watermelon.

I'm suddenly hungry.

Baby Herc

Are you going to try canning them?

Nah, I eat everything fresh and raw. If there's a bumper crop of strawberries, then there's just gonna be a bumper crop of smoothies!

The slugs and I have an understanding: I moved onto their land, so the garden belongs to both of us. They only eat a little. I use no chemicals of any kind. If something doesn't produce well in my garden then I just grow something else. It's hard to feel limited when you've got strawberries, scarlet runner beans, corn, pie pumpkin, zucchini, cilantro, parsley, chives, bell peppers, jalapenos, cantaloupe, sweet peas, potatoes, and watermelon.

I'm suddenly hungry.

Baby Herc

I have no remorse for slugs.

But if you ever do intend to can - use lots of liquore You will thank me on a Bitter Winter Night.

But if you ever do intend to can - use lots of liquore You will thank me on a Bitter Winter Night.

I used to live near a black cherry tree that I could pick from to make brandied cherries. Pitted cherries, water, cornstarch (or other), and a little sugar if desired resulted in one powerful elixir of bribery. Used over pancakes or ice cream in the right quantities made men build and fix things for me. Now I have to resort to vegan cupcakes:

The Almond Joy Mini-Cupcake: http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/9303/vbcoconutvegancupcake.jpg

Chocolate Chai Cupcake: http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/7382/vbchocolatechaicupcakes.jpg

Rosewater Pistachio Mini-Cupcake: http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/7922/vbrosewaterpistachiocup.jpg

Rum Raisin Mini-Cupcake: http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/2762/vbrumraisincupcakes.jpg

Baby Herc

• 2 weeks later...
Only thing to produce in my garden has been my baby red potatoes which wasn't a lot and already devoured lol. Green beans are starting to bloom and produce and 2 pepper plants (Anaheim and Jalapenos) have a pepper each.

Have you had any problems w/blight?

My Yukons are wilting/dying & it's killing me

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the slugs snorted my runner beans like cocaine, slimed my fennel, and forced me to pull a baby pie pumpkin plant out of the ground and into a pot before they made that disappear, too, but I DID come away with about 20 pints of juicy, deep red strawberries, as predicted.

Still, it could be worse. I could have a lawn back there....

Baby Herc

I swear if this drought doesn't end asap my garden is going to die!!! I need that natural water not enhanced tap water!!! Still no tomatoes, peppers are finally starting to do something, 1 zucchini, gourds fried, green beans fried.... This was not the year for a garden