Pittsburgh?

• 2 weeks later...

OK so there are now at least two vegan fitness people in Pittsburgh area.

Lifelong lifter but only recent vegan convert.

As you mentioned some good restaurant options and now two Whole Foods locations.

I am trying to convert some of my meat head friends at my gym but its a tough sell.

i'm not 100% vegan, a strict vegetarian thou. ill probably go full blown vegan in the future. i no longer live in pittsburgh, im now in phoenix. its much more vegan/vegetarian friendly out here. theres a lot of cool food markets, and resturants here. ill be straight up, eventhough i was born and raised in the pittsburgh area i dont have much pride for it there. i was always bored out of my mind. the weather always kept me indoors too much and i like outdoor activities (motocross and skatboarding). it seemed like the only thing people cared about there was drinking and watching sports too. as far as vegan/vegetarian resturants, the only ones i know of are the loving hut in robinson twp and the tin front cafe in homstead. they're ok...better than nothing i guess. i was pretty much a suburbanite when i lived there thou and didnt venture into the city unless i had to. but i think there are some vegan/vegetarian friendly resturants and markets in the trendy sections of the city like shadyside.

I live in Wexford but hopefully only until next year when we empty nest. Really want to move back to the city somewhere.

My conversion is complete and permanent. Health scare in family member has most of us eating better and a few vegans like myself.

For the displaced Pittburgher in AZ. The newer neighborhoods undergoing revitalization are Lawrenceville, Bloomfield, Garfield and East Liberty. My favorite vegan restaraunt is Quiet Storm on Penn Avenue in Garfield. The brunch on the weekends are really good. And suprisingly, the Double Wide Grille has several vegan options which are really good. The seitan wings being my favorite.

I'm in Carnegie, so farther south than you. Wexford just got a new Whole Foods, right? Or maybe a Giant Eagle Market District... I don't know, ha.

I tried Double Wide for the first time about a month ago--very yummy! I also want to try Eden. Have you been there, dlk1?

Yeah just got a Whole Foods a few weeks back. Still like the Shadyside location since I can make a WF, Trader Joe and Strip circuit.

Had never heard of Eden. Thanks for letting me know. I looked at the menu online and will need to stop by there some day.