Supplements/Nutrition/Training Progs

Hi guys,

i've been tasked with putting together the Vegetarian/Vegan side of the company I work for.

Any help with Supps/Nutrition/Training Progs would be greatly appreciated.

I am starting from scratch so I want to start off with supps.

I am currently looking into Multi-Vitamins, the company we have been using is Natures Sunshine.

I have found a BCAA which is suitable - http://store.veganessentials.com/amino-clear-vegan-bcaa-supplement-by-nutrasumma-p3386.aspx? - does anyone know of any better ones with regards to the ratios of L-Leucine/L-Valine/L-Isoleucine.

With regards to Protein there seems to be a whole world out there, I personally have been using Gaspari Myofusion [which has Whey] but if anyone could point me in the right direction to a Vegan powder that has the maximum amount per serving as possible, minimising sugar intake.

Since starting this project on Thursday 31st May, I have bought Roberts' book & am looking forward to getting stuck into that.

Cheers

Vega is my favorite for supplements and protein specifically. Look into it. What type of company do you work for? Interested as to why you are starting with supplements first? The healthy way to go is for your diet to consist of as much plant based whole foods as possible. Supplements are/should be just as the term defines, used to provide you with whatever nutrients/vitamins/minerals that you are not getting in your diet. If you are eating enough of the right foods, very little if any supplements are actually needed, unless you have a specific fitness goal, like serious athletes.

-Dylan

I work for Easyfit, a personal training company in the northwest of England, check us out at www.easyfitpt.co.uk I'm starting with supps as we already have an adequate veggie menu in place for now, I want to build on it in the future and get a Vegan one in place too

Everyone we work with has serious goals, that's why they come to us.

Is there any specific protein that is better than another, with regards to amount per scoop & amount of carbs etc?

I agree with what Dylan said, for the most part supplements aren't needed. The main concern for vegans is B-12.

Also, some things found in most multivitamin supplements are not good for you. For a multivitamin I would recommend Gental Care formulated by Dr. Fuhrman. If you watch the video below it and read the part about "read more about choosing a multivitamin" on the links you will see what minerals etc you don't want in supplements.

Here is link to a page where it can be found. http://www.drfuhrman.com/shop/supplements.aspx

Gental Care is completely vegan as well.

I agree with what Dylan said, for the most part supplements aren't needed. The main concern for vegans is B-12.

I don't mean to start an argument, but this is simply not true. Some of the reasons for supplementing are as follows;

The Earth we farm with isn't nutritious as it used to be due to Toxins – ie pesticides, bad fats, air pollution, additives, heavy metals, drugs, sugar, salt, preservatives

World isn't a 'natural' environment anymore - toxins from cars & other vehicles

“Europe has 72% less minerals in the soil than 100yrs ago” – 1992 Earth Summit Meeting

An average Letteuce is sprayed 11 times with pesticides

Pear is sprayed 13 times

Apples – 16 times.

The company we use for our Multi-Vits is 100% organic, basically theres nothing bad in then.

Just like variety in foods we eat is best. Same goes for your protein supplements. I like vegan because it is chalk full of a variety of wonderful ingredients. I like hemp, pea, and rice proteins.

I don't mean to start an argument, but this is simply not true. Some of the reasons for supplementing are as follows;

The Earth we farm with isn't nutritious as it used to be due to Toxins – ie pesticides, bad fats, air pollution, additives, heavy metals, drugs, sugar, salt, preservatives

World isn't a 'natural' environment anymore - toxins from cars & other vehicles

“Europe has 72% less minerals in the soil than 100yrs ago” – 1992 Earth Summit Meeting

An average Letteuce is sprayed 11 times with pesticides

Pear is sprayed 13 times

Apples – 16 times.

The company we use for our Multi-Vits is 100% organic, basically theres nothing bad in then.

I do take a multivitamin, so I can't say I am totally against supplements. But some minerals/vitamins in multivitamins have been found to cause health problems. Did you read the links to the page I provided? It goes over which can be dangerous.

You mentioned multivitamins as a supplement you were looking for in a vegan form. The one I suggested is a vegan multivitamin.

There is a lot of the things you mention in the environment etc that aren't good for us, I agree. How much mineral/vitamins can counteract these I am not sure of, certainly they should at least help combat some of these negative effects. Has there been any studies to show if/how much vitamins/minerals will counteract these problems you mention?

I was not aware of the mineral content of soil in Europe. That is not good to hear and you would assume if the soil has 72% less minerals in it than the vegetables/fruit grown in that soil would also have less minerals. But has there been any studies to see if this is the case or at what percentage the minerals drop in the plants compared to the soil? In other words, does a 72% drop in soil content correspond to a 72% drop in the plant content?

Most of what I eat is grown in North, Central or South America, so I don't know how the soil measures up in these places.

But assuming your plant foods have the normal amounts of nutrients in them, one should be able to get all the nutrients they need from food alone, except B-12 for vegans and possibly Vit. D if you aren't in the sun much.

I err on the side of caution and do take the multivitamin I suggested earlier, which is a vegan product. So I didn't intend for my previous post to be a slam on supplements, only that they aren't absolutely needed for survival if someone is eating properly, but are good for optimal health or for people who don't eat healthy.

• 4 weeks later...