Good Beer Reviews

Baby Hercules

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said, it was expensive, but considering I was fortunate enough to share 3 bottles with a friend to celebrate his wedding engagement, I figured it was worth the splurge

You'll find the Belgians I recommended to be MUCH more reasonable. Not "cheap", but if you're a microbrew fan, you'll find them pretty much in line with pricing on most specialty craft beers, from around $2.50 - $5.50 per regular sized bottle (double that if you drink them out at the bar), but of course, getting the 750ml size once you find what you like will yield better savings

• 2 weeks later...

I went to this metal show at a bowling alley (because that's what we do in Brooklyn, we're weirdos) this past weekend, for the Heavy Metal Brew tour. I had Ballast Point for the first time there. The make a good stout "Sea monster imperial stout" and even better IPA "Big eye IPA". See them on tap have a taste. I guess they're from San Diego, but popular enough to make it out to a show in NY so maybe you guys will see them in a bar near you sometime too.

-Dylan

Guess I will be hitting up every store in the Midtown/Westport/Plaza area since they are byfar the more influencial districts oh and will be swinging by Trader Joe's as well. Maybe I can sweet talk my liquor store into carrying them IF I like them. I am not really a beer drinker but loved Boulevard unfiltered wheat so much. It boils down to beer or cinnamon roll and sandwich once every 9 days.....lol the choices I have to make

I recently learned why I don't like Absolut vodka but love Monopolowa: Monopolowa is made from potatoes, not grain. It tastes smoother and sweeter to me, no freaky aftertaste. I wonder if that was the gluten I was tasting in the other one...

Baby Herc

I now have a new favorite (for now ) black stout: Fort George Cavatica Stout. http://www.fortgeorgebrewery.com/beers/regulars/cavatica-stout/ Brewed in our own Astoria, Oregon, it's dark, rich, and potent without being thick or sweet. At 8.8%, it'll knock you on your hindquarters but it'll be a fun ride. And at less than three dollars per pint, it's also an affordable one. The black can is decorated with arachnnids and prose, so you'll have something to read while you descend into ecstasy.

Fort George Brewery says of this concoction: An immense, bold, black as night, American stout beauty; Cavatica is no dry Irish anything, one sip and you’ll surely take notice of what you’re drinking. The name honors this brewer’s affinity with arachnia. Be forewarned, this beer will stain your clothes. This is Fort George’s house stout that has gained a reputation for being mighty and contagious among the locals. Thank goodness they ship it to Portland.

Note: goes freakin' well with dark chocolate with orange peels in it.

Baby Herc

Edited by Baby Hercules

Hmm I wonder if that is exported around the country or not? I will have to try next time Im back in Oregon. I have cut down on my drinking a lot in the last couple of weeks. I feel good, but I miss it. The cut down wasn't even intentional I have just seen less of a few big drinker friends lately, thats not intentional either. I head to Googa Mooga Festival which is a food, drinking, and music fest, this weekend. So I will have some updates on new beers i'll try over the weekend posted soon.

-Dylan

Just when I thought the deep, dark, black stouts were awesome enough, they just got awesomer. Stone Brewery's Imperial Russian Stout is as regal as it sounds. It pours blacker'n asphalt and goes down sweet as molasses on a warm plate of pancakes. The 10.5% ABV dances a slow winter tango with a whole lotta roasty-cocoa-coffee goodness. This is a rich, sexy beer. Make sure you're laying down when you bring the brown glass bottle up to your lips. You're gonna wanna lay there all night long.

It's the tenth anniversary of the birth of this dark lovely: http://www.stonebrew.com/irs/

It emerged victorious from a brutal naming war with the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau: http://blog.stonebrew.com/?p=3135

Plus, the label is just freakin' cool.

Baby Herc

Check out this ridiculous bunsen burner contraption you used to drink it out of, I enjoyed using the wooden handle.

Is that a pint? In the photo, with no frame of reference, it kinda looks like those gigantic things the Brits sometimes quaff....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yard_of_ale

Baby Herc

Ok found a grocery store that carries Redbridge a gluten free beer.... I have to admit for being a Anheiser Busch product it tastes like beer minus the bitter bite!!!! Even my mom loves it and has agreed that this is our new beer of choice

Synny, nice. My friend put in a request at ht hood meadows ski resort every weekend for an entire season and now they actually have redbridge on tap there. Pretty rad of them.

Baby Herc, What is that thread called where you listed coconut milk quinoa recipe? I made my own take on it yesterday and it was really good. I want to see how you did it again and comment on that thread as well.

-Dylan

• 2 weeks later...

ooooh hemp seed! Fancy, I want to try. I just had dogfish head gluten free tweason'ale. I like it a lot. Its a little like an IPA but not too bitter. Has a nice euro flavor, kinda like a french or polish style brown, but lighter and hoppier.

Baby Herc, What is that thread called where you listed coconut milk quinoa recipe? I made my own take on it yesterday and it was really good. I want to see how you did it again and comment on that thread as well.

Glad you enjoyed your experiment. My recipe is out-of-this-world good. However, I use honey, so you wouldn't be interested.

Baby Herc

You must have mis-read my comments. I love honey, I eat it, and I wasn't judging you. I was just surprised to see someone posting that they eat it on this site. Many do judge. I am not one of them though.

-Dylan

There is a bar in Brooklyn doing a Euro cup special $64 for 16 beers, one from each country playing in the eurocup. I hope it is still going on and wasn't just a one day thing. I'll post reviews of them all if I get the chance to try this deal out.

Haven't gotten to the 16 euro cup special beer bar yet, I have until the end of the cup to get there. Have any of you tried Ommegang? I have tried a couple of their beers I think but I can't remember which ones. I just found out they carry them at Trader Joes so I can get a discount. I think I liked them. Aw the problem with beer, if you drink to much of a variety you won't remember later which ones were the best....