EuroCup 2012 and racism...

C.O.

Sad but neo-nazis are still out there in large numbers. I am really excited about EuroCup this summer starting June 8th, but I am sad that my people are hosting Poland is co-hosting with Ukraine, and apparently there are racist groups scaring some tourists from attending....

Super crappy I was just in Poland last summer and they have a huge raggae/dub/dubstep community over there supporting the one-love movement.

Here's an article I just read on the subject:

http://keepingscore.blogs.time.com/2012/05/29/racism-and-euro-2012-footballs-ongoing-struggle/

-Dylan

• 2 weeks later...

Yeh it's terrible. I saw some footage on bbc news last night of some Ukraine fans making chimpanzee noises and gestures to the non Caucasian players - makes me sick to the stomach knowing these arseholes are out their.

Also the controversy around john terry and rio Ferdinand as well - in my humble opinion ferdinand should never have been dropped from the team a far superior player to Terry.

It's a pity the beautiful game gets tarnished by the actions of a few mindless thugs, whether they are the fans or players!

I heard that because Poland did not outlaw nazi propaganda like Germany did many nazi supporters from surrounding countries moved there. They work mostly underground to continue the movement. The world cup in Germany had issues with Polish neo-nazi starting fights and small riots.

It's hard for me to hear things like this because I am proud of my Polish roots and visiting last summer I would say its one of my favorite countries I've ever been to. I love soccer and I am a big supporter of the Polish national team (crazy game today, they blew it, should have easily won by 2 not tied...)

-Dylan

Don't feel bad these groups exist in all countries! Poland is still a great country with a lot to be proud of. I do find it ironic that the main reason Britain got involved with WWii was to keep these scumbags from getting their grubby paws on it in the first place.

Missed the Poland game, however did watch Russia game they do seem to be the dark horses in this tournament. Portugal vs Germany today as my wife is Portuguese - come on Portugal