WhenDanSaysJump : The Journal Of Joy.

I may as well log my adventures somewhere...

Today was a lower body day.

Back squat 2-2-2-2-2-2-2

115kg x 2, 115kg x 2, 120kg x 2, 120kg x 2, 125kg x 2, 130kg x 2, 135kg x 2 (new 2rm!)

Was feeling a little worn down after that so I took it slightly easier for :

Front squat (clean grip) 5-3-3-1

80kg x 5, 90kg x 3, 90kg x 3, 105kg x 1

(Current front squat 1rm is 120kg)

All that remained thereafter was some light ab work, a ton o'stretching and the ritual guzzling of protein. Today has been a thoroughly positive day!

Today was meant to have included an upper body workout.

A combination of 6 hours driving, illness, Monday-induced sulking and, to top it all off, news of a bereavement, have all conspired to render me as beyond unmotivated. I'd love to say that I'm being badass and lifting the pain away, but instead I'm contemplating what a big uncaring universe this is over some outstanding Australian wine.

I have pledged to be in the gym at 7am tomorrow to right my wrong.

Well, I probably shouldn't have decided to get drunk as a response to bad news. My gym performance was... somewhat lacking.

Decided that for the next little while I'd switch up my rep scheme a little for my upper body excursions.

Today :

Push press 6, 6-8

60kg x 6, 60kg x 8

Chins 4x6

All was going well until I inexplicably ran out of lifeforce on the 4th rep of my final set.

DB incline bench press 6, 6-8

34kg x 2. TWO. TWO. I have no idea what happened there.

34kg x 6 - much better.

DB row 6/6, 6-8/6-8

48kg x 6/6, 48kg x 6/6

Conditioning work in the form of treadmill pushes. 8 rounds thereof at an 8 degree incline, 15 seconds on, 45 seconds off, bile dancing a merry jig in the back of my throat.

I have just arrived home from a thoroughly pleasing gym adventure.

Lower body today...

Back squat 6-6-6-6

Kept it nice and easy ahead of deadlifts, so 100kg x 6 across all four sets.

Deadlift 3-2-1

140kg x 3, 150kg x 2, 160kg x 1

I was shocked at how easily I ripped 160kg off the ground. No joke, it felt like 60kg rather than 160kg. All I did was follow a few cues as presented in this article - http://www.t-nation.com/strength-training-topics/1828 - I found while idly browsing T-Nation earlier this week. Seemed to do me a world of good.

Finished up with a couple of sets of face pulls to helpfully ease a minor shoulder impingement issue that dislocations alone haven't been totally eliminating.

I am in a very good mood.

June is here and today was a good day.

Snatch 1-1-1

50kg x 1, 55kg x 1, 60kg... FAIL. But I was so close. So close. So I added an extra attempt and got the 60kg snatch. I know that's not an impressive weight in any way, shape or form, but I'd been striving for that for some time now and I'm stoked as hell to get it. Insert your snatch double entendre of choice here.

Clean & Jerk 1-1-1-1-1

Trying to drill technique on this still, as I'd had some shoulder issues caused by improper jerking (stop laughing at the back).

65kg x 1, 70kg x 1, 70kg x 1, 72.5kg x 1, 75kg x 1

I finished up with some plyo pushups, some chins, some deliciously vain arm work, a tiny bit of ab work, and then put myself through my usual conditioning ordeal of treadmilll pushes. Tomorrow is cheat day and I have some vegan cookie dough mix. Win.

Snatch 1-1-1-1-1

50kg x 1, 50kg x 1, 50kg x 1, 50kg x 1, 50kg x 1. I was looking for five solid reps and I got them. Which is nice.

Clean & jerk 1-1-1

70kg x 1, 75kg x 1, 80kg x 1. Lovely.

Some clap pushups and some chins : then vainglorious arm isos. Finished off with some retch-inducing treadmill pushes. Home now, protein shake in my mighty fist. Good times!

Foul mood continued yesterday with another disheartening gym excursion.

Push press 6, 6-8

62.5kg x 6, 62.5kg x 5

Chins 4 x 6

DB incline bench 6, 6-8

36kg x 0, 36kg x 0, 36kg x 0. WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT? Wailing and gnashing of teeth ensued. Then I tried :

BB bench 6, 6-8

70kg x 6, 70kg x 8. To try and bring a modicum of cheer to proceedings, I decided to attempt a 1RM. 90kg x 1, 90kg x 1. Better, but painful. My pecs are sore this morning.

DB row 6, 6-8

50kg x 6/6, 50kg x 6/5,1

...to top it off, when replacing the 50kg DB in the rack, it wasn't as securely placed as I'd hoped and I managed to trap my right hand beneath it. Grr.

Treadmill pushes to finish, went home to pout. Maybe today will be a better session.

• 9 months later...