Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: IronSmith's Vegan Diet & Exercise Log to Defeat Cancer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:06 pm 
Rabbit

Carpe Diem! Today was a much better day in the gym than I thought it would be. I have felt weaker the past few weeks since my last hormone depletion shot. More so than the first two times I received them. I have felt this mostly when climbing stairs. While on vacation, there were a few times I didn't know if i was going to be able to make it to the top! Not a good feeling. Anyways, I did my squat workout today and fully expected to have a big weight decrease. Well I did have a loss but not as much as I at first expected considering I did not have a chance to lift any weights during my two week road trip, and all the turmoil with my medical appointments/results before I left. So here how my workout went:
Parallel box squats with two sets of chains on the bar:
71 (bar weight plus variable chain weight) X 10 reps.
121 X 8 reps.
161 X 6 reps.
211 X 3 reps.
261 X 1 rep.
311 X 1 rep.
341 X 1 rep. (Felt pretty good but I decided to stop here and not risk any injuries.)

Other assorted low back exercises, knee rehab, ab exercises and some calf raises.

I'm tired but feel good. With proper nutrition, good rest, etc. I think I will up over 400 again real soon!

Held Drug Free Powerlifting State, National, & World Records in the Federations NASA, AAPF, ADFPA, & Amateur IPA.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:31 pm 
Manatee

Good to see you back on here IronSmith, sounds like you had a good vacation trip.

I know you have done a lot of research on cancer treatments. And I was just wondering,(I do not know the answer to this question) in your research, have you come across any studies on exercising while fighting cancer?

Certainly exercise is good for us all, but it does put the body under a certain amount of stress and oxidative damage. So I was wondering, at some point or exercise level, does it become counter productive to the body especially while fighting something such as cancer?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:34 pm 
Rabbit

I have read several studies that all report positive results from exercise with cancer. The longevity rates, quality of life, etc are always much higher for those who exercise with cancer. It also improves the immune system, and causes more oxygen to past through the body which kills cancer cells (They thrive in low oxygen areas of the body). There must of course be reasonable moderation. I try to guard against over training. Thats no good for anyone. So I try to build my strength and endurance slowly and not over do it. But I try not to baby myself either.

Held Drug Free Powerlifting State, National, & World Records in the Federations NASA, AAPF, ADFPA, & Amateur IPA.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:48 am 
Manatee

Ok, thanks for the info., that is good to know.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:41 pm 
Elephant

A friend of mine was part of a study during her breast cancer treatment studying the effects of exercise during cancer treatment. The results showed that exercise has a very positive impact on patients during cancer treatment. I am also happy to report that my friend is in remission, and is also a vegan. Her story and your story, IronSmith are very inspirational to me! It's amazing how much a healthy vegan diet and physical activity can fight disease!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:36 pm 
Rabbit

I will be complying a list of web links about cancer and the positive effects of exercise.I hope to post it in a few days.

Anyways today I rode my recumbent bike for 20 minutes. I felt very good and rested. Bests I have felt since my tiredness that I felt upon returning from our road trip. In general I had felt good since I got back but just had some sense of tiredness I couldn't shake for several days. That may have contributed to my feeling of "weakness" I posted about in other blog entries. I have got back into my routine of specialized green smoothies, my supplements, great nights sleep, and I went to Columbus yesterday for my nutritional I.V. treatment. I think all of this has helped me bounce back!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:52 pm 
Rabbit

Please read this link about how a plant based diet and exercise has positive results in reducing the rate of prostate cancer growth and greatly increases longevity!

http://www.pcrm.org/search/?cid=1304

More links on this subject to come!

Last edited by IronSmith on Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:59 pm 
Manatee

Thanks IronSmith for the info. and look forward to your future links.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:01 pm 
Rabbit

Here's another:

http://www.pcf.org/atf/cf/%7B7c77d6a2-5 ... _GUIDE.PDF

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:12 pm 
Manatee

Qoute from you last link:

"Finally, recent research has suggested that regular exercise may be one of the best natural antioxidants. Regular exercise causes many changes in your body that help reduce circulating levels of reactive oxygen inflammation. Beyond burning calories, endurance type exercises, such as walking, running, cycling, and swimming, are particularly effective at increasing the body’s natural levels of antioxidants, eliminating inflammatory molecules that drive cancer."

That is interesting, I had never read that before(besides what you and others said here). I had heard that exercise actually put a certain amount of oxidative stress on to the body, from the damage of muscle tissue during exercise.

But I see it specifically says certain endurance exercises. I wonder if other types of exercise could cause oxidative stress?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:21 pm 
Rabbit

One more general over all approach that includes exercise to treat cancer:

http://www.cancerproject.org/diet_cance ... ercise.php

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:45 pm 
Rabbit

Rode my bike yesterday for 20 minutes and did my Dynamic Squat workout today. Feel great. After a warm up I did speed squats exploding off the parallel box with 8 sets of two reps with a 30-45 second rest in-between with a bar weight of 225 plus 56 pounds of chain weight at the top. I love speed squats. I really love speed squats doing a 40-50% of my estimated current maximum effort squat. They build up explosiveness/power, rev up my metabolism, and give me a chance to really focus on proper form. Always have got so much benefit from them. I also did some good mornings, knee rehab, and some ab work. Great workout. My energy and strength seems to be bouncing back. I just need to be sure I don't over do it in my enthusiasm! Don't want to over train as it take so long to recover when I do!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:12 am 
Rabbit

Glad to see you back- sounds like you had a wonderful trip! Also, nice to hear your strength and energy are returning- love that good nutrition and exercise will do that!! Keep it up!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:56 pm 
Rabbit

Thanks for the support!

Today and tomorrow I am referring at the NASA USA Nationals Powerlifting Meet. Fun to see lots of old friends and meet some new ones. We had a 148 lb. 71 year old man lift today and he set the Squat, Bench Press World Records and he may also have set the Deadlift WR too but I had to leave before his flight came up. Had to leave early to go to my Granddaughters H.S. Graduation Party. Good times! Keep me motivated and hopeful!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:47 am 
Rabbit

Well, the big guys lift today. Should be lots of iron being taken for a ride today. The NASA USA Nationals is the biggest NASA National meet in eastern USA and brings out some of the best drug free lifters from this part of the country. There were many State, American, and World Records set yesterday and I expect the same today. Always one of most exciting and fun meet of the year to referee! Afterwards Rita & I drive to Columbus to spend the evening with my two sons and their families. My family is having a Father's Day party for me a week early. Also we will be celebrating my youngest grandson's birthday. Nothing like family. Not much time to exercise yesterday and today but good medicine for me anyways! I love my family on both Rita's side and my side very much!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next